Page 451 of 555 FirstFirst ... 351401441447448449450451452453454455461501551 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    He sold her to the Dothraki. He was an abusive creep leading up to selling her off. He just got pissed because he couldn't be a creepy bastard anymore and Drogo didn't care about listening to him.

He wanted power for himself. She was an object to be used as currency for himself.

The point is, she didn't owe him anything.
    They both wanted their home back. They both wanted to survive. They were both on the run from a usurper who had spies tailing them. The only ally they had that they were basically living off of arranged for the marriage himself as the best way to rectify the situation.

Again your being very simplistic and sympathetic to characters you like and unsympathetic to characters that you don't. Which is kind of the point of the story.

Spectacular Member

My thought on the latest GoT episode, and the upcoming final episode of the series...

brace-yourself-disappointment-2vl2ht.jpg

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They both wanted their home back. They both wanted to survive. They were both on the run from a usurper who had spies tailing them. The only ally they had that they were basically living off of arranged for the marriage himself as the best way to rectify the situation.

Again your being very simplistic and sympathetic to characters you like and unsympathetic to characters that you don't. Which is kind of the point of the story.
    Abuse is abuse.

My point is that Dany didn't owe her brother anything and letting him die, wasn't some indication of her being a bad person.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    So every character who was ever mean once deserves to die? Dickon was not even remotely shitty btw. He just wouldn't let his father die alone
    Dany is on a battlefield. She gave them the choice to surrender. What else is she supposed to do? Just let them disrespect her to her face, in front of her armies?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Varys was the only one of the deaths this week I didn't predict... he seemed like the consummate survivor.
    Really? I saw that coming last week when he had that conversation with Tyrion. There was no way that Tyrion would side with him at that point, which meant that next episode would begin with Varys execution. I nailed that prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I don't care about that. I just care that it was sloppily written.
    Oh indeed. The showrunners just want to be done, to the detriment of the show's quality these past two seasons. I'm fine with Dany going mad, and I never really liked her character after the first book/season due to the Plot Armor/Story Trajectory I saw for her in the future of the series. I just wish the show had done more to hint at her "madness" beyond burning the Tarlys last season. What really killed her for me on this show was the long soap opera scene from last week where she in turn attempts to seduce Jon, pressures him to turn on his friends and family, grovels to him to let her have all the power, then coldly commands him to obey her. What a train wreck of writing.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If you expect to be disappointed, you certainly will be. The human psyche is a weird thing... most people prefer to be disappointed than to admit that they were wrong about expecting to be disappointed. There are many possible endings, and whichever one they choose... good or bad... will necessarily disappoint the 99% of viewers who Wouldn't Have Written It That Way.

I've enjoyed the series enough that unless the whole thing turns out to have been imagined by an autistic kid with a Winterfell snow globe, I'll still consider it worthwhile.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I knew this was gonna be rough when Jon referred to Varys's fairly straightforward Targaryean coin toss comment in the beginning as a "riddle." all downhill from there.

What a piece of crap. They did every character wrong here, especially Dany. I need more nuance and buildup than what they offered before I believe she sics Drogon on the civilians.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Tarly's would have never taken the black tho.
    Dany didn’t try to put them in a ceil to change their minds like Tyrion suggested.

Extraordinary Member

Abuse is abuse.

My point is that Dany didn't owe her brother anything and letting him die, wasn't some indication of her being a bad person.
    Does abuse merit having liquid hot gold melted on your head well you horrifically die? Because that's the hill you are on right now. Every character you find mean you think it is okay to die. Did Robert deserve to die because he hit Cersei? Was it cool that she got him drunk and allowed an accident to happen?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Really? I saw that coming last week when he had that conversation with Tyrion. There was no way that Tyrion would side with him at that point, which meant that next episode would begin with Varys execution. I nailed that prediction.
    It really is sad what's become of Tyrion. When is the last time he made a single good decision? Most of this episode he was just wandering through the carnage looking lost. I'm surprised he didn't go looking for a building to let fall on him.

If you expect to be disappointed, you certainly will be. The human psyche is a weird thing... most people prefer to be disappointed than to admit that they were wrong about expecting to be disappointed. There are many possible endings, and whichever one they choose... good or bad... will necessarily disappoint the 99% of viewers who Wouldn't Have Written It That Way.

I've enjoyed the series enough that unless the whole thing turns out to have been imagined by an autistic kid with a Winterfell snow globe, I'll still consider it worthwhile.
    That's pretty much Bran at this point though, right? I'd say the betting is pretty solid on such an ending...
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Extraordinary Member

Dany is on a battlefield. She gave them the choice to surrender. What else is she supposed to do? Just let them disrespect her to her face, in front of her armies?
    Not kill them? Literally what Tyrion said, put them in cages until they change their mind. They are high lords and extremely valuable as prisoners. Randyl particularly would have likely talked Dickon into just surrendering to her so the line could survive. Anything but burn them like a psycho. They are prisoners of war. We tend to look down on mass executions of them. Even Aegon was better than that once the battle ended.

Seriously you really go out of your way to justify characters you don't like being murdered in situations that don't merit or require murder. There's a reason the smartest character on the show begged her not to do it. There's a reason why it came back to bite her with Samwell Tarly.

It's not battle anymore when they all dropped their weapons. Full stop, she did not have to kill them.

Extraordinary Member

It really is sad what's become of Tyrion. When is the last time he made a single good decision? Most of this episode he was just wandering through the carnage looking lost. I'm surprised he didn't go looking for a building to let fall on him.
    Aside from the first two seasons I'm really struggling to think of a time Tyrion actually made a good decision. After he got cut at Blackwater it was all downhill. He got called Shea a whore and dumped her, pretty much every snide remark was used against him the trial for Joffrey's murder, his father was literally going to allow him to take the black and decided to say screw it and went for trial by combat betting on either a sellsword or his crippled brother to defend him, he lost anyways and went to Essos, literally nothing he did there made a difference.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

So anways, in regards to Jaimie. I still don't like him for still being allies with the Freys and killing Blackfish. In my opinion, whatever his redemption arc he was going for kind of went out the window at the end of season 6.