Page 455 of 555 FirstFirst ... 355405445451452453454455456457458459465505 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,825 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

For me, Daenerys was always prone to those moments of outright cruelty, when someone inflicted upon her cruel acts. That's why she let Viserys be killed without flinching, why she burnt so much peoples and why she had the Masters of Meeren crucified. Therefore, I was sad to see her losing it in this episode, but it comes after a whole season and a half of losses.

She lost one of her dragons to try and win Cersei over, for nothing. She went to fight the Night King and his army, letting plenty of time for her enemies in the South to grow stronger. One of her oldest friend died saving her, another was beheaded before her eyes when she tries to show mercy, and that her second dragon was killed -partially because she had given her foes the time to built so many scorpions. And the second man she fell in love with can't love him anymore because he knows she's is aunt and while by blood he is half-Targaryen, by upbringing he is a Stark.

And I thought the episode did a great job showing us her descent into madness. Until the very last moment, when she has Drogon fly over the city to burn it, it's obvious that she's struggling, she crave for this burning fury to be unleashed, but she also knows that it's wrong to do so. But she doesn't have anything else to tether her; Jon isn't just a loved one, he is a threat to the one thing which has been a constant in her life, no matter what : her birthright to the Iron Throne. To me, it was a tragic fall from grace, but nothing absolutely out there and ridiculous.

Daenerys always had the potential to end that way. Her coin was still in the air, but when it fell on the ground, no one was there anymore to make sure she could be a great queen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I couldn't agree more. And for all the complaints I've been seeing about Dany's heel turn especially after this episode (which was masterfully directed BTW), one only has to go back through the books and the series to see that, in hindsight, the signs that Dany becoming the "Mad Queen" were there. Nor is like she went crazy all of the sudden or was crazy all along. Instead, I think it's very clear that, with the deaths of Jorah, Missandei, her two dragons, along with feeling betrayed by everyone around her, especially Jon, bit by bit she was reaching a breaking point...and finally she broke. I think what both book readers and show watchers didn't realize until now was that, instead of watching a "hero's journey," we've been watching a "villain's journey" intentionally made to look like a "hero's journey" just to amp up the tragedy of a revolutionary leader who had the potential to become different than any monarch before her, only to become the very tyrant she never wanted to become. To quote Nietzsche, "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." One can debate whether it was rushed, but, as you point out, there were hints there all along. We, like Jorah, Jon, Tyrion, etc. didn't want to see them.
    She hurt people who wronged her or people who are targeted as enemies.
    Any player in GOT who went to war would do the exact thing to their foes.
    Does that make Tywin, Rob, Jon, etc mad?
    They are ruthless against foes while knowing what kind of cruelty serves a purpose and what is simply waste of resources.

Extraordinary Member

At this point, the best ending would just be the Red Comet hitting the continent and kills everyone.

At least Danny stayed true to Messandei. Lit the house and let it burn
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So how on Earth does the ending become “bittersweet?” Because it looks like any ending from here on isn’t going to be a happy one.
    If Jon ends up on the throne without dying or anything like that, it can still be a semi happy ending. A good person is on the throne and all the bad guys are beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Jon ends up on the throne without dying or anything like that, it can still be a semi happy ending. A good person is on the throne and all the bad guys are beaten.
    I honestly don't see how Jon takes the throne with all the Unsullied and Dorthraki still breathing. They would never follow him
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I wish the show just ended after this episode
    It can't end until Jon does SOMETHING. He didn't beat the Night King and he didn't beat Cersi. Jon has just kinda been there the whole time... he's gotta have ONE big moment somewhere in there before the show ends. I think that's what's missing before they can end the show and call it a day.

I honestly don't see how Jon takes the throne with all the Unsullied and Dorthraki still breathing. They would never follow him
    Probably not. Maybe if Jon kills her, Arya can impersonate them and order them to go home. Might not fool them indefinately, and certainly won't fool the dragon but it might at least get them to leave. And of course if Danys forces don't know Jon killed her, they might just leave peacefully. No reason for them to stick around. They don't have to follow him... they just don't have to try and kill him either.

Ultimate Member

Lol...Dany has been on this path for a good long while now. People just loved her too much to see it.

I don't mind Danny going mad Queen, you can point back to hints, but the way they executed it. UGH. Make it more organic GOT!

It can't end until Jon does SOMETHING. He didn't beat the Night King and he didn't beat Cersi. Jon has just kinda been there the whole time... he's gotta have ONE big moment somewhere in there before the show ends. I think that's what's missing before they can end the show and call it a day.
    does he tho? I mean if he was going to have a moment it would be against the Night King that was his quest, his trajectory, his whole purpose in the books. The even brought him back from the dead for crying out loud. At least let him kill some of the toughest White Walkers like 1 v 5 or something.

All the bad people are dead let Westeros rebuild and hope Sansa isn't scheming anything.
    The J-man

I don't mind Danny going mad Queen, you can point back to hints, but the way they executed it. UGH. Make it more organic GOT!

does he tho? I mean if he was going to have a moment it would be against the Night King that was his quest, his trajectory, his whole purpose in the books. The even brought him back from the dead for crying out loud. At least let him kill some of the toughest White Walkers like 1 v 5 or something.

All the bad people are dead let Westeros rebuild and hope Sansa isn't scheming anything.
    I certainly looked like Jons big moment would be the Night King, but I think in hindsight at least his big moment was stopping Dany. Arya got the Night King because she didn't end up killing Cersi like a lot of people expected.

Danny's fine just let her rule. Give it a few weeks the people of Westeros won't care. I wanted Jon to be king last season but not like this. Just let the badass with Dragons rule damn it.

To all the writers of the world write as if David Benioff and DB Weiss will get to finish your story if you don’t. Now you know why it takes Martin 10 years to write 1 book. What we are seeing is what Game of Thrones is when you write it in 2 months.
    The J-man

unless your expectations are about to be subverted!

lol

Only two endings make sense now:

1. Jon kills her, he is the kinslayer and the queenslayer. Not sure what happens after that but "song of fire and ice" and the ice hasn't done much this season

2. Jon takes the black to give up his right to the throne to protect the North for Dany's rage. the "sweet" is the fact Dany (the main character) wins, all the real evil people are seemingly dead (lannisters and euron). The bitter is that the one true king, who would be the best ruler because he doesn't want the throne, gives up what he wanted for so long (to be a part of the family and not a bastard) in order to save his Stark family and abandon his "real" family (targaryan).

I am personally gonna go with the non-sensical option one, DD will probaly just go "Jon forgot about the Dothraki" lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

I think about all those people that called their daughter Daenerys or Khaleessi, terrible mistake! Now their child's name is synonimous with Darth Vader!

meh Danny's still done more good than bad. Destroyed the slave trade, saved the world from zombies. So she BBQ cersi and ehr servants big whoop.

Long live Danny

just don't let the Arya spoilers be true
    The J-man