Page 458 of 555 FirstFirst ... 358408448454455456457458459460461462468508 ... LastLast
Results 6,856 to 6,870 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Those people are in Essos though.

All she has in the 7 kingdoms is an army of unsullied, an army of rampaging rapist pillaging Dothraki, a very large WMD dragon... and Jon.
    That and she left all of them in the hands of sellswords. Again it basically comes down to the fact that she is a foreigner who has no reason to be ruling the Seven Kingdoms except that her crazy dad ruled it and was despised and lost his seat of power. Nobody asked or wanted her to come. The few who did were mostly just people who wanted personal revenge on Cersei and Dany was their vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Maybe all those thousands of people she liberated from the monstrous slavers. All those people who witnessed her burn the otherwise untouchable wealthy masters, who dealt in human suffering and slavery of innocent people.

Her followers would follow her to the end.
    And what power and influence do those poor people have in Westeros? That lies in the North and I see them seceding rather than accept Dany as their ruler. Considering what she did to KL, which included burning up a bunch of Northern soldiers who were there to help her, no one will trust her. She can easily do the same to them, which means she has to die. She did not think this one through
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-13-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    So, anybody think Bran warged into that convenient horse and sent it to save his sister? Basically, I'm just casting about for anything that would justify his long and involved character arc.

I don't think Dany just went randomly crazy during the battle. I think it was all planned from the moment she decided that if the people wouldn't love her, then they'd fear her. (As Machiavelli wrote, it's best for a leader to be both loved and feared, but if you can only have one, choose fear.) That's how Genghis Khan and Tamerlane built empires: by being so merciless that no one would dare oppose them.

If Dany lives long enough to actually rule, she'll be the most hated ruler in the history of the Seven Kingdoms. Much more hated than Cersei, who apparently maintained a relatively peaceful if oppressive rule. More hated than her father, who unlike her never made good on his intention to burn Kings Landing.

Queen Daenerys had better hope that her one and only dragon remains very, very healthy.

So what became of the valonqar prophecy? Cersei's little brother Tyrion didn't kill her and in fact tried to save her. She died with Jaime, but not being choked out by him. I hope the prophecy just straight up turned out to be B.S. I hate prophecies as a plot hammering device.
    Valonqar wasn’t ever stated in the show. Book only thing.

Retired

I don't understand why they made Cersei supposedly pregnant, as it didn't really pay off, and it put a time clock on the events. Without her pregnancy, I can just assume that there's weeks and months between events in the last two seasons--but that would mean that she'd at least be showing and very likely have had her baby already. Unless a Lannister pregnancy is a two year process.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Queen Daenerys had better hope that her one and only dragon remains very, very healthy.
    Dragon's outlive people by a long shot so she is good there.

Plus, she still has the best army in the 7 kingdoms with the Unsullied

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That lies in the North and I see them seceding rather than accept Dany as their ruler
    ... I mean, did they not see what that one dragon did lol?

Ruling by domination and fear is a thing.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Like it was said earlier, D&D just validated all of the salty toxic fans. The only people that are happy are Dani haters who don't care about anything else. Because frankly there's nothing else to care about. So they bitterly hold onto that. While everyone else mourns the utter collapse of a good show cause the showrunners are burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't understand why they made Cersei supposedly pregnant, as it didn't really pay off, and it put a time clock on the events.
    That was for Tyrion's "arc." to make his stupidity make some sense
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I don't understand why they made Cersei supposedly pregnant, as it didn't really pay off, and it put a time clock on the events. Without her pregnancy, I can just assume that there's weeks and months between events in the last two seasons--but that would mean that she'd at least be showing and very likely have had her baby already. Unless a Lannister pregnancy is a two year process.
    It probably helped justify Jamie returning to save her, and in Tyrions mind it planted a vain hope of possible redemption for Cersi as her children were the one thing she did care about more than herself. So it helped justify Tyrion and Jamies actions in the end. But yeah ... she probably should have been showing a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Like it was said earlier, D&D just validated all of the salty toxic fans. The only people that are happy are Dani haters who don't care about anything else. Because frankly there's nothing else to care about. So they bitterly hold onto that. While everyone else mourns the utter collapse of a good show cause the showrunners are burned out.
    Though I am not a big fan of the season as a whole, I actually thought the last episode was well done. Hound and the Mountain was fun. Arya deciding not to decidate her life to vengeance was nice, even if a bit anti-climactic. And I though the way they flipped things by shifting Danys army from being the heroes to the villains was done believably and effectvely.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It does matter why. Same reason it matters why Dany became the way she was. They weren't that different in the long run. And no he didn't keep her alive to sell her to Dothraki. He never intended to sell her to Dothraki. He literally raised her from the time she was an infant to her early teens on his own, with the intention that they would someday get their home back.

Again your taking a very simplistic approach to a more complicated story that is precisely designed to be more complicatd
    With all due respect, you're skipping some very important parts of the book as well as the show.

1. Viserys may have started out saving Dany out of sisterly affection, but he blamed her exclusively for their mother's death. She was a means to an end - Targaryens marry their sisters to take the throne, so he needed his sister in order to restore Targaryen rule. She became a symbol and an object that he treated like dirt.

2. He didn't just knock her around a bit. He physically, emotionally and sexually abused her and then sold her to be wedded and raped by Khal Drogo. From Dany's point of view, even if he had been the 'loving brother' you portray, this is the ultimate in betrayals. He promised her she would rule by his side, and then traded her like a goat to a barbarian. Oh yeah, and the night before she gets married, he tries to rape her.

3. Despite having wise advisors, Viserys ignored them because he was a petulant child. He was told that the Dothraki don't buy and sell but receive and offer gifts, so he needed to be patient. But he was so arrogant and angry over the 'indignities' he felt he was suffering. He kept demanding his army *now* or else...what?

4. He then became ridiculously jealous of Dany for being in a position over him, so much so that he grabs her by the throat and calls her a slut. When he's punished for his assault on her, it only makes him more angry. He tries to steal the dragon eggs for his own ends and when that sister he supposedly cares for so much tries to be nice to him and offer him clothing fit for a Khal, he hits her again.

5. Here's the kicker you left out - he drew his sword in a holy place, and in front of Drogo, he threatened to kill Dany *and* their unborn child to get what he wanted because he sold his sister and wanted payment. He held his nephew and sister hostage in front of Khal Drogo to get what he demanded despite being told to wait for it.

So Dany, who had been beaten, abused, sold and degraded by her brother is oddly not upset that, right after he put a sword to her belly and threatened to cut out her unborn child because they were in a place where the Dothraki can't draw blood but *he* can? No, I don't blame her at all. She repeatedly reached out to him, and he assaulted and tried to rob and rape her, so yes, he may have started out years and years ago as a caring brother, but that went away a long time ago. In the books Dany was what, 13? So all she's really known is what her brother told her - that he saved her life, they were going to marry and take back what was rightfully his (not theirs). At no point does he ever show any love for his sister, only that he values her as a prop and then, later, as property. He believed he owned her and, in the end, he got what he deserved and I see no reason why Dany should have been at all sympathetic after all he had done to her.

It's another issue in a long list of issues with the show.

Extraordinary Member

I never hated Dany. Book fans have been predicting the Mad Queen thing since long before the show was a thing. She was prone to violence and a terrible ruler in Mereen. She viewed a group of people she never met as her enemies and a land she never lived in as her right.

This isn’t something that came out of nowhere. This has been a viable option to a lot of fans for well over a decade. That’s the thing about this series. Once you shift perspective a characters actions can be seen in a new light

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I never hated Dany. Book fans have been predicting the Mad Queen thing since long before the show was a thing. She was prone to violence and a terrible ruler in Mereen. She viewed a group of people she never met as her enemies and a land she never lived in as her right.

This isn’t something that came out of nowhere. This has been a viable option to a lot of fans for well over a decade. That’s the thing about this series. Once you shift perspective a characters actions can be seen in a new light
    Doesn't change the fact it was terribly executed. It was, there's nothing that rationalize what Dani did to KL. People just accept it cause it's a plot point that was reached. If this had been The Walking Dead people wouldn't have let that **** slide lol.

Doesn't change the fact it was terribly executed. It was, there's nothing that rationalize what Dani did to KL. People just accept it cause it's a plot point that was reached. If this had been The Walking Dead people wouldn't have let that **** slide lol.
    THere's nothing to rationalize it because it wasn't supposed to be a rational decision. It was a purely emotional one. She lost several loved ones, and that created a moment of weakness in her where she kind of snapped.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Dragon's outlive people by a long shot so she is good there.
    Unless someone kills it... like they did the other 2.

Plus, she still has the best army in the 7 kingdoms with the Unsullied
    The Unsullied lost half their number at Winterfell, probably a few more at Kings Landing (including some from literal friendly fire, most likely). The Dothraki are decimated too. She won't have any supporters among the lords of the other lands now... not even Gendry, whose home she just destroyed and friends she just killed. Without the dragon, all the massed forces of the Seven Kingdoms would be enough to overwhelm the remnants of the Unsullied and Dothraki.

In fact, if Arya has one kill left in her it might be Drogon rather than Dany. In fact you wouldn't necessarily have to even kill him... blind him, disable his wings, trap him somewhere Dany can't get to him.