Page 475 of 555 FirstFirst ... 375425465471472473474475476477478479485525 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,125 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If the mother of his unborn child is about to die in Danys attack, then Jamie I think is justified in not taking his time deciding what he really wants. There simply wasn't time to do anything more than he did. Its not like he can ask Dany to hold off her attack so he can have a little more time with Brianne.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I think in the books GRRM will continue with the 'this takes a lot of time' concept. I don't think we're going to go immediately from the Night King to King's Landing in a chapter or two. I think considerably more time will pass so that (a) they can recover from the Battle of Winterfell, (b) they can strategize and possibly rally more allies to the cause (I don't think Yara/Asha is just going to vanish) and (c) reposition armies.

This would allow for a more gradual decent into madness for Dany, more time for Jaime and Brienne, more time to sort out whatever the heck Bran's arc was supposed to be (I don't believe it ends with 'and I sit in the courtyard as bait'), etc.

And I don't think Jaime is in love with Brienne, per se. I see Brienne representing the person he wants to be and Cersei the person he was before that. He realizes not that his relationship with Cersei was wrong, but what he did to maintain it was (i.e. apologizing to Bran for throwing him out the window). He loves Cersei, but the path that led him down took him away from his more noble, knightly goals, as did his having to kill Aegon. So Brienne is redemption and the path he wanted, but Cersei is, in the end, where his heart truly lies. It's not a 'pity ****' but a desperate attempt by Jaime to hold on to that sense of honor that he lost.

Just my take

Is there any chance this late in the game for my lady Sansa Stark to become Queen of the Seven Kingdoms? If the rumors of Jon killing Dany and then rejoining the Night's Watch or else exiling himself beyond the Wall with Tormund & Co are true, somebody needs to rule...

Sansa has proven to be arguably the most competent leader out of the surviving characters. She basically has rule over the North, with strong familial ties to the Vale and the Riverlands. It would not be farfetched for her to make an alliance with the newly-instated Lord of the Stormlands. If Theon had lived, an alliance with the Iron Islands would have been possible too. Hell, if Tyrion survives and the show's writing has sunk so low as to have everyone in the Westerlands forget and forgive the Imp for murdering Tywin and (in their belief) poisoning Joffrey, Sansa could claim leadership over the Westerlands with or through her first husband. She also has Bran, who knows things.

Given the lack of buildup, Sansa as Queen seem implausible at this point, but I still think she's the best option in terms of reuniting Westeros. Dany has the most powerful force left (thanks mostly to a suddenly super-effective dragon and, naturally, plot armor), but she is essentially alone and friendless at this point and has decided to rule solely through fear. She will be a terrible queen. Jon, despite all his good qualities, has proven himself over and over to be Ned Stark reborn due to his honor trumping his intelligence. He would be a terrible king. If not Sansa, then who? Bronn?
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Incredible Member

I think for Jaime, this night with brienne is a glimpse of what his life could have been, a hero in love with an honorable lady, all that he had wished to be but in the end he's not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I think in the books GRRM will continue with the 'this takes a lot of time' concept. I don't think we're going to go immediately from the Night King to King's Landing in a chapter or two. I think considerably more time will pass so that (a) they can recover from the Battle of Winterfell, (b) they can strategize and possibly rally more allies to the cause (I don't think Yara/Asha is just going to vanish) and (c) reposition armies.

This would allow for a more gradual decent into madness for Dany, more time for Jaime and Brienne, more time to sort out whatever the heck Bran's arc was supposed to be (I don't believe it ends with 'and I sit in the courtyard as bait'), etc.

And I don't think Jaime is in love with Brienne, per se. I see Brienne representing the person he wants to be and Cersei the person he was before that. He realizes not that his relationship with Cersei was wrong, but what he did to maintain it was (i.e. apologizing to Bran for throwing him out the window). He loves Cersei, but the path that led him down took him away from his more noble, knightly goals, as did his having to kill Aegon. So Brienne is redemption and the path he wanted, but Cersei is, in the end, where his heart truly lies. It's not a 'pity ****' but a desperate attempt by Jaime to hold on to that sense of honor that he lost.

Just my take
    GRRM has two books left and he’s still at

-Jon just died
    -Dany is surrounded by Dothraki
    -Arya is training
    -Bran is learning from Three Eyed Crow
    -Sansa in the Vale
    -Cersei just took her walk of shame
    -Dorne has a plan that is destined to fail
    -Mereen is under siege
    -Brienne and Jamie are wandering the Riverlands
    -Tommen and Marcella still alive

They basically have just are about where season 5 ended.

Unless he adds another book a lot is going to happen very fast. He will probably need to at least get back to Storm of Swords pace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Is there any chance this late in the game for my lady Sansa Stark to become Queen of the Seven Kingdoms? If the rumors of Jon killing Dany and then rejoining the Night's Watch or else exiling himself beyond the Wall with Tormund & Co are true, somebody needs to rule...

Sansa has proven to be arguably the most competent leader out of the surviving characters. She basically has rule over the North, with strong familial ties to the Vale and the Riverlands. It would not be farfetched for her to make an alliance with the newly-instated Lord of the Stormlands. If Theon had lived, an alliance with the Iron Islands would have been possible too. Hell, if Tyrion survives and the show's writing has sunk so low as to have everyone in the Westerlands forget and forgive the Imp for murdering Tywin and (in their belief) poisoning Joffrey, Sansa could claim leadership over the Westerlands with or through her first husband. She also has Bran, who knows things.

Given the lack of buildup, Sansa as Queen seem implausible at this point, but I still think she's the best option in terms of reuniting Westeros. Dany has the most powerful force left (thanks mostly to a suddenly super-effective dragon and, naturally, plot armor), but she is essentially alone and friendless at this point and has decided to rule solely through fear. She will be a terrible queen. Jon, despite all his good qualities, has proven himself over and over to be Ned Stark reborn due to his honor trumping his intelligence. He would be a terrible king. If not Sansa, then who? Bronn?

Sansa doesn’t want anything to do with the South

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

My money is still on Gendry to wind up on the throne. Jon is both a Targaryen and a Northerner, neither of which are very popular, and doesn't want to rule. Gendry is a Baratheon, and his father, although a big doofus, was the last popular person to sit on the Iron Throne. And Gendry was raised a commoner, so he will be able to connect with the people better than anyone. As for the Azor Ahai prophecy, he could fulfill it by forging Lightbringer himself. The darkness that flees before him will be the old ways of rulership and oppression, to be replaced by justice and nascent democracy... the Westeros version of the Enlightenment.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Going by the leaks, the person who gets the Throne don't seems to be a good idea either. But it's hard to tell with that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Going by the leaks, the person who gets the Throne don't seems to be a good idea either. But it's hard to tell with that character.
    As long as it ain't Sana I'm cool with it

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Especially considering it can go wrong, by manipulation of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Oooof

Ned is low key is kind of a **** character.

I wonder what his plan with Jon was if he didn't get beheaded though.

Problem with the WW is that the threat was TOO big and could only be solved by a deus ex machina hail mary.

GRRM should have better defined the existential enemy in the series. On the other hand that probably would have destroyed their mystique. Somebody at another board i go to said George is outstanding when it comes to political intrigue, and historical fiction, But terrible with low/dark fantasy stuff. Which is why people tend to disregard it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    GRRM has two books left and he’s still at

-Jon just died
    -Dany is surrounded by Dothraki
    -Arya is training
    -Bran is learning from Three Eyed Crow
    -Sansa in the Vale
    -Cersei just took her walk of shame
    -Dorne has a plan that is destined to fail
    -Mereen is under siege
    -Brienne and Jamie are wandering the Riverlands
    -Tommen and Marcella still alive

They basically have just are about where season 5 ended.

Unless he adds another book a lot is going to happen very fast. He will probably need to at least get back to Storm of Swords pace
    Plenty of room for all that and more in 2 giant books.

All of this wonderful world building and richness of character becomes just random nonsense if the time isnt taken to flesh it out and make the audience/reader care.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Plenty of room for all that and more in 2 giant books.

All of this wonderful world building and richness of character becomes just random nonsense if the time isnt taken to flesh it out and make the audience/reader care.
    If Winds of Winter don't come out by at least 2020, people will just stop carring.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    If Winds of Winter don't come out by at least 2020, people will just stop carring.
    It depends, honestly it’s hard to care about a book series that releases books 5 then 6 then 9 and counting years apart. If it weren’t for the show he’d have lost a lot of money

Incredible Member

Again this assumption he will finish the books?!!!
    Whereas all the few intel we have point in the direction of Martin not finishing it.
    I know you're disappointedby the series ending (at least in the execution), but it is for the moment the only thing we have and maybe the only thing we'll have!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the chances of him finishing the books get slimmer every year that goes by. I mean it been 8 years since the last book and with all the other things he has been doing I don't see a new one coming for at least another few years. Add into that his age and not to be blunt but with he weight and health, and the chances get even slimmer.