Page 51 of 555 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Looking at the trailer, although I haven't analysed it in depth, there looks a possibility they've jettisoned at least one major subplot from ADWD (while probably adding a couple more, in their way).

One thing I'm hoping for from the new season is that it will begin to depart significantly from the books. Now, we know GRRM has indicated some of the rough areas the books might end up to the showrunners. However, we also know that GRRM is not going to publish the next book until probably 2016 at the earliest, and experience suggests he's not going to finish the books for some time.

For me, the worst case scenario is that the series provides GRRM's likely conclusion and final plots before the books are published. I'm speaking as someone who, although I like the show, am a much greater admirer of GRRM's novels, despite their underedited immensity I'm also a much greater admirer of the books' characterisation of figures such as Stannis, Tyrion, Brienne, Loras and so on. But of course the show is also watched by many who prefer the series, or have not read or do not intend to read the books.

So I hope very much the showrunners should do their own thing with the ending, and we can read the books (relatively ) unspoiled. Normally, I'm not fussed about spoilers in fiction, but since one of GRRM's strengths is his plotting....
    I agree so much.I think it's time for series to have its own ending and the novels a different one.It's a win-win that way.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

I'll read the books as they come out, although from what I'm hearing we probably won't get the next one before the show's done anyway. My theory is that GRRM is waiting to see what Benioff and Weiss do with Daenerys, because it's obvious he doesn't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I'll read the books as they come out, although from what I'm hearing we probably won't get the next one before the show's done anyway. My theory is that GRRM is waiting to see what Benioff and Weiss do with Daenerys, because it's obvious he doesn't have a clue.
    I only have two of the five books, and haven't read any, but I very much doubt that's true.

But, very happy with the trailer, the big focus on Daenerys, the stuff with Tyrion, and Varys.

Some good Littlefinger and Sansa stuff. Might be right about making the justice, but I wonder just exactly what he means by that?

Very much looking forward to more of that, in Season 5. Hope there's some of it in the Premiere.

Left wondering who'd end up the better, or the worse, out of their relationship, or machinations, though I lean towards Baelish on the better.

Though, I definitely, if only because of Melisandre, the Red Woman, if not Stannis himself, would say things'll end up worse on poor Jon Snows' end, but we'll see.

Can only trudge so long.

Awkward how Jamie's the one Cersei's giving out to, about Tyrion still being alive, free, all that, considering he was one of about three or so people who freed him.

Hopefully see where the Wildling stuff goes now, after the Stannis thing, or the Knightswatch, due to that.

And, more White Walker bits, too. And, hopefully see Arya in Bravos too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    We'll get the next book before the show's over. The next one will be out by the end of 2016 (probably) and the show still has at least 2 more seasons after this one--it's been confirmed for 7 seasons with a possible 8th. We almost definitely will not get the 7th book before the show ends (if we ever get it at all).
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 01-31-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    We'll get the next book before the show's over.
    Oh, my sweet summer child...

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    New trailer looks good. I think everyone should be prepared to find out how the whole story ends via HBO rather than any published books. After the next one is published, I pretty much think that's going to be it. GRRM is getting old and there's rumor he's thinking the series will need 8 books to finish the story, so even if they are finished we won't see the end in print until the late 2020s at the rate he's going. At that point, I won't even care.
    This is my thinking too. At best the show will be able to adapt The Wind of Winter. After that though, there is no way the next book will be out on time so we'll probably end with a show original ending.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

This season would be the true test of Benioff and Weiss' creativity.Previous seasons were more easy to create,because they were based on the first 3 books of ASOIF and those books have tons of strong characters and moments.Unfortunately,i felt the fourth season to be 'so and so'.It had some strong moments,but i felt it was pretty rush,tried to alter things and generally not as great as it should be,considering the moments it had to adapt.

It's sad that this season would probably ignore Kingsmoot and Iron Islands story.Except Cersei's chapters,Iron Islands chapters were the best parts of A Feast for Crows.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    This season would be the true test of Benioff and Weiss' creativity.Previous seasons were more easy to create,because they were based on the first 3 books of ASOIF and those books have tons of strong characters and moments.Unfortunately,i felt the fourth season to be 'so and so'.It had some strong moments,but i felt it was pretty rush,tried to alter things and generally not as great as it should be,considering the moments it had to adapt.

It's sad that this season would probably ignore Kingsmoot and Iron Islands story.Except Cersei's chapters,Iron Islands chapters were the best parts of A Feast for Crows.
    Without going into detail, what was it that was so good about the Iron Islands chapters?

My theory for an ending would be Daenerys and her forces marching into Kings' Landing, sacking the place, taking it...and, after a few minutes, a chill enters the air.

Not of death, not of any natural Winter, but a beastly one, one they were not prepared for.

This...is the White Walkers.

After a melee of attacks, of frost, and steel, and blood, many of them find they have fallen.

They are overwhelmed by such beasts, such creatures, and unprepared for such harsh, unforgiving climate, as opposed to their usual one, be they Unsullied, or command.

A flap of wings in the night air.

Daenerys looks up. Surprisingly, she still feels cold. But, how could that be...when she is the Mother of Dragons?

She should know these two creatures. She should be able to control them, feel them, command them. But they didn't accompany them here.

But, they may accompany them to the Land of the Undying.

The Walkers turn, one growling, loud and guttural. An odd sound from things like them. They see the Dragons, flying, screeching in the wind, riding their own way forward.

The Dragons screech simultaneously, turning into a roar, performing an alleoop, twisting around, spinnning, and bursting forward, toward the Walkers, toward their Mother.

The Walkers horses ride on, pelting at full speed, a chill air surrounding them, their breath, making its' wake out of undead nostrils.

They neigh, an unnatural, unkind sound, and the the undead warriors pelt forward, a determined look in their eyes, as fiery as any Dragons' breath.

As they do, they come face to face at long last with the Dragons, the leader, pushing forward one, little word 'D...I...E'.

Winter has come...but will it remain?

A Song of Ice and Fire - END.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Without going into detail, what was it that was so good about the Iron Islands chapters?
    It's pretty much a game changer to the whole strategy of Ironborns,creating the events that would change the balance of power in King's Landing and introducing a big player that is important for both Westeros and Daenerys.

It's interesting that you think that. I actually found them quite a slog to get through.

This season would be the true test of Benioff and Weiss' creativity.Previous seasons were more easy to create,because they were based on the first 3 books of ASOIF and those books have tons of strong characters and moments.
    Indeed.

Of course, Benioff & Weiss have inserted plenty of their own storylines and characters, as we all know, so I guess if people have liked those, that would be a good sign. I think the record is pretty mixed - off the top of my head I can think of a couple of examples:

1. Daenerys' plot in season 2 with the dragon-napping. Introduced because Daenerys' storyline in book 2 is a bit static, although it has a great climax. Pretty underwhelming - reminded me of a SyFy channel movie
    2. Yara Greyjoy's abortive rescue of Theon. Rather silly, it's surprising to say the least the Dreadfort is so easy to infiltrate by a raiding party - and then they just leave ? Still, it achieved the probable intention of keeping Yara in the viewers' mind, because otherwise she would have in effect vanished for a season.

Having said that, I do recognise that those storylines were introduced for a reason, and it's a bit tricky because they couldn't really alter much in the main plot. (I'm also probably remembering the less impressive additions because they were more memorable for being bad.) Maybe B & W's new storylines will be better now they have a much freer hand?

In any event the Varys bit in the trailer might indicate spoilers:
    the Aegon subplot has been jettisoned, which could be an important change.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Indeed.

Of course, Benioff & Weiss have inserted plenty of their own storylines and characters, as we all know, so I guess if people have liked those, that would be a good sign. I think the record is pretty mixed - off the top of my head I can think of a couple of examples:

1. Daenerys' plot in season 2 with the dragon-napping. Introduced because Daenerys' storyline in book 2 is a bit static, although it has a great climax. Pretty underwhelming - reminded me of a SyFy channel movie
    2. Yara Greyjoy's abortive rescue of Theon. Rather silly, it's surprising to say the least the Dreadfort is so easy to infiltrate by a raiding party - and then they just leave ? Still, it achieved the probable intention of keeping Yara in the viewers' mind, because otherwise she would have in effect vanished for a season.

Having said that, I do recognise that those storylines were introduced for a reason, and it's a bit tricky because they couldn't really alter much in the main plot. (I'm also probably remembering the less impressive additions because they were more memorable for being bad.) Maybe B & W's new storylines will be better now they have a much freer hand?

In any event the Varys bit in the trailer might indicate spoilers:
    the Aegon subplot has been jettisoned, which could be an important change.
    end of spoilers
    Well, the deaths of Tulisa Stark and Jojen Reed as well, and the meeting between Jon and Bran, the former Knightswatch stuff, Bran stuff with them, all new, to my knowledge.

Pieces on the A Day in the Life Season 5 Special:

http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-s...ideo-day-life/

BANNED

GRRM already locked himself in a room with the creators and outlined the end of the series. They paid for the rights to the whole series, not just what Martin had already written. They already expressed they are doing the real ending, the way they get there might be different, but the major plot points will be intact. Martin's known the ending for years, he's just gotten himself stuck in writing conundrums and had to figure his way out of them.

But he's always had the three major phases of the series in his head. It was originally supposed to be a trilogy.

1. The War of the Five King's
    2. The New Targaryen Conquest of Westeros
    3. The War with the Others.

He just got really side tracked with the first part and let it go on into it's own trilogy, and had to write his way out of the mess it made in the last two books. Now he's finally on to the final two books, which he always intended to be the final two of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    He just got really side tracked with the first part and let it go on into it's own trilogy, and had to write his way out of the mess it made in the last two books. Now he's finally on to the final two books, which he always intended to be the final two of the series.
    The last two books which we know won't actually be two

Seriously, I'll eat my hat if he really does it in two, and I don't even own one; so I'll by buying a hat just to eat it.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile