Page 546 of 555 FirstFirst ... 46446496536542543544545546547548549550 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,190 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    -Jon was going to follow Dany no matter what until Tyrion invoked his sisters. Dany did say that those who knew the truth would meet Varys fate.

-Jaime turned on the Mad King when his father was threatened by Aerys.

Just thought I point out that parallel. Dany was right about the death of Varys being a victory for Sansa.

Bigger parallel.

Season 1: Ned betrays his king and honor for the sake of Sansa and Arya via advice from Varys
    Season 8: Jon betrays his queen and honor for the sake of Sansa and Arya via advice from Tyrion

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Bigger parallel.

Season 1: Ned betrays his king and honor for the sake of Sansa and Arya via advice from Varys
    Season 8: Jon betrays his queen and honor for the sake of Sansa and Arya via advice from Tyrion
    Certainly the parallels between Jon and Ned are strong, and I imagine completely intentional.

But in the least, I don't think honor was as much of a weakness for Jon as it was for Ned. He still got the job done. One has to wonder if Dany wouldn't have eventually killed Jon had he not, with him basically suffering the same fate as Ned.

For those of you that did like the ending, did any of you actually like or buy into Tyrion's monologue about storytelling and how important stories are? Not who they choose, but the emphasis and importance od story? The cringy-ness of that to me was the worst part of the episode.

I hope that when star wars ends a character starts writing a book that's called, The Star Wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Certainly the parallels between Jon and Ned are strong, and I imagine completely intentional.

But in the least, I don't think honor was as much of a weakness for Jon as it was for Ned. He still got the job done. One has to wonder if Dany wouldn't have eventually killed Jon had he not, with him basically suffering the same fate as Ned.
    I mean Ned did apologize and declare himself a traitor and declared Joffrey king

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    For those of you that did like the ending, did any of you actually like or buy into Tyrion's monologue about storytelling and how important stories are? Not who they choose, but the emphasis and importance od story? The cringy-ness of that to me was the worst part of the episode.

I hope that when star wars ends a character starts writing a book that's called, The Star Wars.

In this case GRRM is heavily influenced by Tolkien and that’s pretty much exactly what happened in LOTR with the book being written

In this case GRRM is heavily influenced by Tolkien and that’s pretty much exactly what happened in LOTR with the book being written
    That wasn't exactly what happened in LOTR at all. With Tolkien it was more that Bilbo was writing about his adventures from The Hobbit, it was very minor detail in the LOTR books, and only used to connect the worlds and give Biblo something to do.

Lord of the Rings didn't end with Aragon making Biblo king because he had the best story. It was just when Frodo and Gandolf talked to Biblo, sometimes he would mention he's writing his adventures. They are not alike at all.

Last edited by PoorStudent; 05-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    That wasn't exactly what happened in LOTR at all. With Tolkien it was more that Bilbo was writing about his adventures from The Hobbit, it was very minor detail in the LOTR books, and only used to connect the worlds and give Biblo something to do.

Lord of the Rings didn't end with Aragon making Biblo king because he had the best story. It was just when Frodo and Gandolf talked to Biblo, sometimes he would mention he's writing his adventures. They are not alike at all.

I was talking about your last sentence... about the Star Wars book....

It was also a minor detail here as well.
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 05-30-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Bigger parallel.

Loads of parallels in Game of Thrones.

1. Tywin Lannister, mental giant, acts for a long time as chief adviser to a maniacal Targaryen monarch, who he eventually turns on.
    2. Tyrion Lannister, supposed mental giant, acts for a long time as chief adviser to a maniacal Targaryen monarch, who he eventually turns on.

1. Rickard and Brandon Stark, decide to come south from Winterfell, end up opposing injustice, die horribly.
    2. Ned Stark, decides to come south from Winterfell, opposes injustice, dies horribly.
    3. Robb Stark, comes south from Winterfell, opposes injustice, dies horribly.

1. Rhaegar Targaryen, prophecy-destined glamorous selfless prince, has ill fated love affair, ends up sadly misunderstood.
    2. Jon "Aegon Targaryen" Snow, prophecy-destined glamorous selfless prince, has ill fated love affair with relative, ends up sadly misunderstood. He also has an ill fated relationship with a nice but extremely violent person who at some stage attacks him.
    3. Jaime Lannister, not exactly selfless but certainly glamorous prince who nonetheless had big moments of selflessness, has ill fated love affair with relative, ends up partially misunderstood. He also has an ill fated relationship with a nice but extremely violent person who at some stage attacks him.

1. Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros, ends up being surprisingly ganked by homicidal animal, who acts unexpectedly.
    2. Renly Baratheon, King of Westeros, ends up being surprisingly ganked by homicidal shadow baby, who materialises from the middle of nowhere in an armed encampment.
    3. Stannis Baratheon, King of Westeros, ends up being surprisingly ganked by homicidal Brienne, who materialises from the middle of nowhere during a massive battle.
    4. The Night King, true King of Westeros, ends up being surprisingly ganked by homicidal Arya, apprentice assassin who failed the theoretical but passes her practical exams, who materialises from the middle of nowhere during a massive battle.

1. Roose Bolton gets ironically but not unexpectedly killed by savage creature who he brings up.
    2. Ramsay Bolton gets ironically but not unexpected killed by savage creatures who he brings up.

1. Tywin and Joanna have a happy marriage. Guess what! One of them has a tragically untimely death and the widower is grief stricken and embittered.
    2. Ned and Catelyn have a happy marriage. Guess what! One of them has a tragically untimely death and the widow is grief stricken and embittered.
    3. Luckily, you can count on the remaining fingers of Qhorin Halfhand other happy marriages for important characters in Westeros. (Well I guess there's Robb and Talisa - that ended well, Randyll Tarly and spouse... some others.)

1. Jon Snow, Stark descendant, gets put by conniving intellectual into Lord Commander position of responsibility for which he has certain positives and some big negatives.
    2. Bran Stark gets put by conniving intellectual into position of extreme responsibility for which he has certain positives and some big negatives.

I may be reaching with some of these
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 05-30-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Well, Jon and Joffery are opposites.

One is, in truth, a bastard, while being masqueraded as a prince.
    The other is, in truth, a prince, while being masqueraded as a bastard.

One is a sociopath that hold no regard for human life aside his own.
    The other has gone to great lengths to preserve human life, even after it cost him his own.

One is a blowhard and can only use a crossbow on helpless victims.
    The other is an accomplished warrior and fighter, even standing against overwhelming odds.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They have already tried pushing Emilia here and there and its... mixed.

She just isn't a strong actress for movies. Different tier of quality imo.
    She's been in 3 movies tho...Han Solo...one with Jude Law...and Me with You
    her acting was praised In the last two I mentioned and Me Without You grosses like 200 mil

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    She's been in 3 movies tho...Han Solo...one with Jude Law...and Me with You
    her acting was praised In the last two I mentioned and Me Without You grosses like 200 mil
    Terminator Genisys.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They have already tried pushing Emilia here and there and its... mixed.

She just isn't a strong actress for movies. Different tier of quality imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Terminator Genisys.
    Damn there was another Terminator movie??

Damn there was another Terminator movie??
    Yup. Game of Thrones had 2 Sarah Connors.

I'm hoping one of the GoT sequal/prequal movies hires Linda Hamilton to make it a clean sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yup. Game of Thrones had 2 Sarah Connors.

I'm hoping one of the GoT sequal/prequal movies hires Linda Hamilton to make it a clean sweep.
    did Lena Headley play Sarah Connor in another Terminator movie???

did Lena Headley play Sarah Connor in another Terminator movie???
    TV Show. Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles.