Page 547 of 555 FirstFirst ... 47447497537543544545546547548549550551 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,205 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

So...do you think the Night King is going to be a thing in the last two books?

Cause if he's not there, well, no easy, thanks gods we have wonder woman on our side, way out of the walking dead invasion. Which sounds cool of course but things sure are going to be quite different than in the show, on that front at least.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Cause if he's not there, well, no easy, thanks gods we have wonder woman on our side, way out of the walking dead invasion. Which sounds cool of course but things sure are going to be quite different than in the show, on that front at least.
    Put it this way, the books are basically where season 5 ends and season 6 starts. So imagine if the Night King only showed up midway through season 6 and then we got a season and a half of build before season 8. And even then, the books are so POV based that I can't see a real way to get the Night King involved in any reasonable period of time unless there is a Bran info dump. I think it's just going to be a long brutal battle where the heroes eventually overhwelm and outright defeat or push back the Others.

BANNED

I think the idea Martin can finish this in two books - regardless of how long they are - is a mistake in the first place.

In general, the books have done a really poor job of giving us reason to care about this invasion at all. If it becomes a major part of the book series (one would expect it would considering it started the series) it will feel somewhat out of left field. The show kept the threat constantly alive for us. The books have not.

The easiest most believable sollution might be if the dragons end up being a lot more effective against the Others in the books than they were against the Night King on the show.

I know it's sort of crappy logic but if dragon glass and dragon steel work, then actual dragons might work too.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Damn there was another Terminator movie??
    You didn’t know it existed? Was the marketing for the movie that bad?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    She's been in 3 movies tho...Han Solo...one with Jude Law...and Me with You
    her acting was praised In the last two I mentioned and Me Without You grosses like 200 mil
    Yeah I liked her in all three. And crappy character arc aside, I actually thought that Emilia was one of the highlights of this season acting-wise.

As for Dany, she was dealing with 100% murderous cutthroat a-holes pre-Season 8. I don't think that there would have been such a knot in Mereen if there were reasonable people she could make accommodations with.

I think that what Martin was trying to do is show she's got no interest in ruling, just in conquest. And that's why she goes off to Westeros, let's start burninating again. But it's all so poorly executed in the show.

I think that to keep the gray morality they need to make her not mad and keep the actions to the point where people can have a reasonable disagreement. That would thus make Jon's actions also within that realm of reasonable disagreement.

Right now saying Dany did nothing wrong is right up there with saying Hitler did nothing wrong. I think the better figure to base her on should be someone like Genghis Khan. You could get along under him just fine so long as you never questioned a thing he said. There was equality and justice and did I mention that you better not question him? Like not even think about it? Good. So the feeling of unease with our characters is ok, so we like a lot of what she's doing but we don't like how we don't have a say? Maybe Julius Caesar is a better example. Beloved but a lot of people are uncertain about his lust for power and so you still have arguments about whether or not killing him was the right thing.

I think that's a better legacy for the character than just nutsy Dany.
    Last edited by Punisher007; 06-02-2019 at 04:27 AM.

Not sure, there's still very little written about the Others in the books. There is the Night's King...very different to the show, but an interesting story...

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night%27s_King

He kind of looks like the book version of Jon Snow too, a popular theory was that Dany would get resurrected to be the "Night's Queen" and history would repeat itself, then I started believing that the show might do that, especially in the House of the Undying scene (the show version) had Dany walking North of the Wall and had an icy look about her...now I'm not sure what that scene means.

That said, if there is a Night King in the books, I would like to think there'd be more to him than just "world domination" ...or at the very least make it passed Winterfell once they break through the Wall.
    Last edited by Sparta; 06-02-2019 at 12:53 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Tbh I think the show would have been better off if they had not cut a lot of subplots that added richness to the story. I don't read the books I mostly go by wikis, and lore videos, but For example:

-Shae was a lovesick imbecile instead of a clever whore was the change that bothered me the most. The show couldn't decide if she was a clever, empowering, smart woman or a complete idiot.

- Barristan is actually formidable (instead of literally dying in the only fight he's ever been in in the show)

- Benjen is still missing and presumably a character called Cold Hands.

- All of the Starks warg to some degree (by dreaming through their direwolves) except Sansa (Lady is dead after all)

- Gendry's character got merged with another of Robert's bastards (who Stannis wanted to execute) and Gendry isn't some wandering hero looking for a cause but a kid trying to stay alive. There's also a female bastard or Robert's hanging around the Vale. Don't know if she plays a bigger part tho.

- The Faceless Men aren't just training Arya as their sole purpose but are actually spread throughout the world working on some cause (?)

- The Maesters all seem to be up to something as well (something about killing magic and dragons)

- Bronn is significantly downplayed. He is made lord after Blackwater and we see little to nothing of him after, other than him naming his first son Tyrion as a joke that pisses off Cersei. Though personally I think he should have died around season 7 at least.

- Loras is actually a character instead of just "GoT gay guy"

- Tyrion and Jaime did not leave on good terms. Tyrion promised to kill Jaime next he saw him, while leaving Jaime with words that begin to eat away at Jaime as he begins to suspect Cersei of infidelity.

- Jon is actually a character, not a righteous do-gooder who just sulks and is emo.

- Tyrion is actually a character and the son of Tywin in that he's compassionate and good, but also vindictive, vicious, bitter, spiteful and cynical. Significantly more interesting character in the books. The show he's just a whitewashed quipping hero, akin a Marvel movie character.

- Dorne actually matters and is significant to the plot.

- Varys actually matters and is significant to the plot.

- Illyrio actually matters and is significant to the plot.

- Varys and Illyrio are actually backing another Targaryan (they didn't just save Dany but another boy) who is also raised in Essos. Varys works to spread chaos in Westeros, and when Kevan Lannister takes power as regent and begins to fix the continent effectively in Cersei's wake, Varys kills him. That other Targaryan (a Blackfyre, presumably) invades Westeros with the Golden Company. His advisor and mentor, Jon Connington, is actually the one with grayscale (who's plot got merged with Jorah's in the show, except that Jorah and Jon in the books actually have purpose).

- Littlefinger is up to something but we don't know what. He's also not stupid enough to take the knights north and then hang around waiting to be killed in a hilariously stupid trial.

- Arya is training to be an assassin, not batman. The idea that she can fight Brienne and stand toe-to-toe with her is remarkably stupid. She's washed bodies, had literally one archery lesson (which was to "not aim") and played it stick fighting. There is nothing exceptional about this training whatsoever.

- Syrio Forell is hinted at as still being alive.

- The Hound is presumably dead after Arya leaves him...though there's hints that the Faith have picked him up and he's a gravedigger living peacefully. The idea for Cleganebowl makes more sense considering Cersei's trial is coming up and it's led to believe she'll pick the Mountain as her champion. The Faith will presumably pick the Hound.

- There is a plot line that the Northern houses are rising up in a secret conspiracy against the Bolton's. "The North Remembers". I feel like this was actually going to be a thing until D&D decided they didn't want to be bothered. Other tale tell signs is that after season 5 there wasn't a lot of new major characters introduced.

- There is massive food shortages. There is a lot of hints that the coming Winter will be catastrophic, white walkers or no white walkers. And the chaos and expense of war aren't helping.

- The country is on the brink of civil war; Brienne's journey through Westeros is meant to give us an understanding of that. Looting, revolutionaries, self-made lords, lawlessness, and the rising problem of a fervent new religion.

- There are tell tales of magical horns; one of ice, and one of fire. The former is said to be able to bring the Wall down (since the Wall is kept up with magic) while the latter is said to be able to control dragons. Only the latter has been blown once and the man who blew it began bleeding from all his tattoos and died after of scorched lungs. Euron posses the Dragonhorn and he is after Dany.

- Sansa never goes north. Instead, one of Sansa's friends and maids is dressed up as Sansa and is sent North after the Lannisters lose her (Tywin's idea). She is raped and abused by Ramsey and Theon saves her. When he does, they head for Castle Black, not knowing Jon's been recently killed. This would have fixed season 5 by a lot.

Those are the major ones I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They have already tried pushing Emilia here and there and its... mixed.

She just isn't a strong actress for movies. Different tier of quality imo.
    To be fair, the GOT fanbase wasn’t as huge back then as it is now. The final season had a record breaking billion viewers worldwide. Easily the most popular show of all time.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-02-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    It looks like Kit Harington is taking the GoT finale harder than fans.

Kit Harington Has Checked Into A Wellness Retreat In The Wake Of The “Game Of Thrones” Finale

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...llness-retreat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Wow. I'd not expected that the show would impact him so severely. At the end of the day, I would think it's just another acting role, and Harington could distance himself from it. I wonder if this is due to the intensive nature of filming Thrones, or the strong fan reaction to anything related to the show, or a combination of both. At any rate, I hope Kit will be all right. He seems like a wonderful guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The dude literally became an overnight super star and unlike a lot of roles where you are in some chill studio in Burbank he spent most of his time filming in Iceland. He’s also very emotional and was very attached to the role. I think he’s one of the few actors who read the books
    From what I understand it has nothing to do with the show and that is just some BS a new outlet made up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Tbh I think the show would have been better off if they had not cut a lot of subplots that added richness to the story. I don't read the books I mostly go by wikis, and lore videos, but For example:

-Shae was a lovesick imbecile instead of a clever whore was the change that bothered me the most. The show couldn't decide if she was a clever, empowering, smart woman or a complete idiot.

- Barristan is actually formidable (instead of literally dying in the only fight he's ever been in in the show)

- Benjen is still missing and presumably a character called Cold Hands.

- All of the Starks warg to some degree (by dreaming through their direwolves) except Sansa (Lady is dead after all)

- Gendry's character got merged with another of Robert's bastards (who Stannis wanted to execute) and Gendry isn't some wandering hero looking for a cause but a kid trying to stay alive. There's also a female bastard or Robert's hanging around the Vale. Don't know if she plays a bigger part tho.

- The Faceless Men aren't just training Arya as their sole purpose but are actually spread throughout the world working on some cause (?)

- The Maesters all seem to be up to something as well (something about killing magic and dragons)

- Bronn is significantly downplayed. He is made lord after Blackwater and we see little to nothing of him after, other than him naming his first son Tyrion as a joke that pisses off Cersei. Though personally I think he should have died around season 7 at least.

- Loras is actually a character instead of just "GoT gay guy"

- Tyrion and Jaime did not leave on good terms. Tyrion promised to kill Jaime next he saw him, while leaving Jaime with words that begin to eat away at Jaime as he begins to suspect Cersei of infidelity.

- Jon is actually a character, not a righteous do-gooder who just sulks and is emo.

- Tyrion is actually a character and the son of Tywin in that he's compassionate and good, but also vindictive, vicious, bitter, spiteful and cynical. Significantly more interesting character in the books. The show he's just a whitewashed quipping hero, akin a Marvel movie character.

- Dorne actually matters and is significant to the plot.

- Varys actually matters and is significant to the plot.

- Illyrio actually matters and is significant to the plot.

- Varys and Illyrio are actually backing another Targaryan (they didn't just save Dany but another boy) who is also raised in Essos. Varys works to spread chaos in Westeros, and when Kevan Lannister takes power as regent and begins to fix the continent effectively in Cersei's wake, Varys kills him. That other Targaryan (a Blackfyre, presumably) invades Westeros with the Golden Company. His advisor and mentor, Jon Connington, is actually the one with grayscale (who's plot got merged with Jorah's in the show, except that Jorah and Jon in the books actually have purpose).

- Littlefinger is up to something but we don't know what. He's also not stupid enough to take the knights north and then hang around waiting to be killed in a hilariously stupid trial.

- Arya is training to be an assassin, not batman. The idea that she can fight Brienne and stand toe-to-toe with her is remarkably stupid. She's washed bodies, had literally one archery lesson (which was to "not aim") and played it stick fighting. There is nothing exceptional about this training whatsoever.

- Syrio Forell is hinted at as still being alive.

- The Hound is presumably dead after Arya leaves him...though there's hints that the Faith have picked him up and he's a gravedigger living peacefully. The idea for Cleganebowl makes more sense considering Cersei's trial is coming up and it's led to believe she'll pick the Mountain as her champion. The Faith will presumably pick the Hound.

- There is a plot line that the Northern houses are rising up in a secret conspiracy against the Bolton's. "The North Remembers". I feel like this was actually going to be a thing until D&D decided they didn't want to be bothered. Other tale tell signs is that after season 5 there wasn't a lot of new major characters introduced.

- There is massive food shortages. There is a lot of hints that the coming Winter will be catastrophic, white walkers or no white walkers. And the chaos and expense of war aren't helping.

- The country is on the brink of civil war; Brienne's journey through Westeros is meant to give us an understanding of that. Looting, revolutionaries, self-made lords, lawlessness, and the rising problem of a fervent new religion.

- There are tell tales of magical horns; one of ice, and one of fire. The former is said to be able to bring the Wall down (since the Wall is kept up with magic) while the latter is said to be able to control dragons. Only the latter has been blown once and the man who blew it began bleeding from all his tattoos and died after of scorched lungs. Euron posses the Dragonhorn and he is after Dany.

- Sansa never goes north. Instead, one of Sansa's friends and maids is dressed up as Sansa and is sent North after the Lannisters lose her (Tywin's idea). She is raped and abused by Ramsey and Theon saves her. When he does, they head for Castle Black, not knowing Jon's been recently killed. This would have fixed season 5 by a lot.

Those are the major ones I can think of.
    I would debate several of these.

Benjen was effectively the shows version of Coldhands, he was just trimmed down a lot.

Dorne’s book plotline went nowhere both Quentyn and Arianne accomplished nothing and the end speech by Doran is the only relevant part (and realistically I think it ends with then ultimately teaming up with Dany once fAegon is dealt with)

Shae was improved in the show. Even GRRM is on record saying she’s a superior character in GOT. In the books she’s a nothing character that Tyrion is play relatuonshiping with.

Stark warging is cool but most of them are dream sequences that don’t really accomplish much. It’s very passive for most of them.

I still think you are underselling Faceless Men. They are super assassins. They are worth a sellsword army in price.

Varys, Illtrio and Dorne are all tied to the fAegon to some degree which is why they all had direction changes around season 5.

Honestly most of these plotlines are from Feast and Damce and those books are widely criticized for adding too many subplots and boosting the story and are generally considered significantly weaker than the first 3 books. Brienne’s never ending journey through the Riverlands is boring as hell

Honestly most of these plotlines are from Feast and Damce and those books are widely criticized for adding too many subplots and boosting the story and are generally considered significantly weaker than the first 3 books. Brienne’s never ending journey through the Riverlands is boring as hell

I actually do agree with some of this, 'Feast' was my least favourite book, very Cersei-heavy if I remember it correctly, with very little progress, hence the reason why most of it was ignored on the show. 'Dance' was better, but still idling. And yes, a lot of new characters and the subplots are spreading uncontrollably to the point where it might require another book to tie it all up. The Essos stories never grabbed me (even at their best) and Dany's been there for far too long now, and KL without Tywin and Tyrion has gone stale. For me it's really the Beyond the Wall stories and Winterfell that's kept me engaged in the last 2 books.

I would debate several of these.
    Of course you would! I just need X-Pac to complete the circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I actually do agree with some of this, 'Feast' was my least favourite book, very Cersei-heavy if I remember it correctly, with very little progress, hence the reason why most of it was ignored on the show. 'Dance' was better, but still idling. And yes, a lot of new characters and the subplots are spreading uncontrollably to the point where it might require another book to tie it all up. The Essos stories never grabbed me (even at their best) and Dany's been there for far too long now, and KL without Tywin and Tyrion has gone stale. For me it's really the Beyond the Wall stories and Winterfell that's kept me engaged in the last 2 books.
    So there in lies the problem. People are split over the books like I expected.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    So there in lies the problem. People are split over the books like I expected.
    What did the wikis you cited say you should think?

Perhaps it'd be easier to take your contentions seriously about what plotlines should or should not have stayed in the show if you had, you know, actually read the plotlines.