Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thewickedeast

Default What should a new Batman fan start with?

I tried to search the forum to see if my concern has already been discussed, but I'm having difficulty finding the answers I need.

I am a recent Batman fan because my friends talk about it a lot and I also started watching Gotham on FOX. I am deeply intrigued by the real Batman from the comics and would like to start reading, but I don't know where to start because I know there are several that follow different story lines.

I am here to appeal to those who have been loyal to the Dark Knight for much longer than I have to guide me on which comics to read and in what order. I don't know if it matters to point out that I am female, but I am just really lost. I want to be able to follow his story in a way that I will be able to understand and appreciate him much further. I also thought that maybe you guys can somewhat debate with each other why you're recommending that certain order to me and not another.

I hope someone can help me. I'm really excited about this.

Thank you!

--

Carla

BANNED

There's a Sticky thread on this exact topic that holds all of the answers you seek, at the top of this forum.

Let us know if there are particular characters or events you're interested in, however as a general start yeah Year One and the others shown here

BANNED

Don't get started--it will save you a TON of money.

In 2011, DC rebooted the whole universe, meaning Batman started at issue #1 again. These issues have been collected in trades (several issues combined in 1 graphic novel size book) starting with volume 1: Court of Owls (http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-The.../dp/1401235425). This is a nice starting point. However, if you are interested in the history and perhaps the beginnings of Batman, check out Year One by Frank Miller. Scott Snyder (writer of the new Batman series) has given his own twist on the origin story in Zero Year, which will be collected in volume 4 & 5 of the current series.

This should give you a slight idea! What I did when I started, I looked at the 25 best Batman stories ever and started reading all of those, they aren't the best for nothing, that list is filled with great stories!

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of comic books!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by thewickedeast View Post
    I tried to search the forum to see if my concern has already been discussed, but I'm having difficulty finding the answers I need.

I am a recent Batman fan because my friends talk about it a lot and I also started watching Gotham on FOX. I am deeply intrigued by the real Batman from the comics and would like to start reading, but I don't know where to start because I know there are several that follow different story lines.

I am here to appeal to those who have been loyal to the Dark Knight for much longer than I have to guide me on which comics to read and in what order. I don't know if it matters to point out that I am female, but I am just really lost. I want to be able to follow his story in a way that I will be able to understand and appreciate him much further. I also thought that maybe you guys can somewhat debate with each other why you're recommending that certain order to me and not another.
    I think if I was starting now I would say to get the new 52 volumes to not confuse your self with all the other continuity. Catch up on the batman new 52 volumes (5 in total I believe so far with the new origin included) and if you wish to get the single issues start with issue 35. It came out two weeks ago and is the start of a new story line but might need to get the two batman eternal volumes when they come out to fill in what has happened between volume 3 and the start of issue 35. Hope this helps

If you want modern classics: Dark Knight Returns*, Year One*, Man Who Laughs, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth, Hush, Under the Red Hood* etc.

* = made into animated features, if you prefer.

For current continuity: start with Court of Owls and work your way from there.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 10-20-2014 at 09:14 AM.

A little advice from someone that was in your position not that long ago. "Don't listen to anyone on this board, including me".

The reason I say that is everyone has different tastes when it comes to comics. Comics are a tricky medium to attempt to judge for someone else.
    Some people judge by story telling, others by art. Some people like down to earth detective stories, while others like crazy action packaged issues. Ect.

I asked this same question a few years back and I got the typical responses that your going to get on this board.
    1. Year One - (My thoughts: YAWN YAWN YAWN)
    2. The Dark Knight Returns - (My thoughts: Horrible)
    3. The Long Halloween - (My thoughts: Awesome)
    4. The Killing Joke - (My thoughts: Good, but not great)
    5. Death in the Family - (My thoughts: Really Horrible)
    6. Arkham Aslyum - (My thoughts: Worst Story of them All)
    7. Dark Victory - (My thoughts: Really good)

But most on here will call me crazy for hating on Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, but I just don't care for them.

If I were in your position again I'd save myself a lot of time and money and start with the new 52 Batman vol 1.

What I recommend is going to comixology and searching batman. You are going to get a lot of results. Download a bunch of #1 issues and read them (Most the time #1 are free or .99 cents) This is a cheap, easy way to see what jumps out at you.

Just a little Batman (DC in general) info to help you get started:

Anything prior to Batman #404 (1987) in my opinion, is totally a waste of time. Unless you really like hokey childrens comics. (Many will agrue with this, like I said above, but thats all they are. But all comics were pretty much like this at the time).

Starting with Batman #404 (Year One) DC reset its universe, but issues of Batman and other titles kept the same numbering, but everything that had happened prior to #404 was either altered or removed from history all together. This Era - pretty much ran until Sept 2011 before DC relaunched the universe again. There were slight changes here and there but nothing major. (Personally, I don't think much before No Mans Land (2000) is really worth giving a second read, but after NML there are some really good stories. Grant Morrision Batman saga, The Black Mirror, Gotham Central, Under the Hood, Hush)

With the 2011 relaunch, this time DC changed the number and went back to #1. This relaunch is branded the NEW 52 (52 is kind of an important number to DC, basically there are 52 "worlds", also the relaunch had 52 titles being printed). This is the easiest place to pick up and begin with because pretty much eveything previously was erased from history.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    "Don't listen to anyone on this board, including me".
    The one part of your post I half agree with :-P

One person's displeasure with most books prior to 2011 doesn't mean that every new reader will agree.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Don't get started--it will save you a TON of money.
    Yeah that's right. Let's discourage new readers, just what the industry needs.

After all, there's a million other potential readers out there....
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 10-20-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Mighty Member

Nah, doesn't matter much you're a female. Pretty much anyone can enjoy a man dressed up at night who beats up criminals

And about that. I'd foremost recommend:
    Batman: Year one by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli Basically "Batman begins."
    Batman: Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale Makes for a good introduction to Harvey Dent/Two face.
    Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale Adds Robin into the mix and follows up on a murder mystery from Long Halloween.
    Batman: Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller Basically "Dark Knight Rises" with some Batman vs Superman action.

If you read those you get a really solid look on Batman's allies and different enemies. Also a longer story, where Bruce came from, how he became Batman and also what becomes of him in his older days. And if I'm not mistaken, both Long Halloween and Dark Victory was written as sequels to Year one (whom many considers to be the best Batman book). The books I'v listed have also been a big inspiration to the Batman films by Christopher Nolan.

From what I'v heard the current Batman books by Scott Snyder are also supposed to be good. While it is a new story it seems to have alot of love and care for the old stories. And you should (as with those I listed above) be able to jump right in without any prior "knowledge". As for now those books are:
    Batman vol .1: The court of owls
    Batman vol .2: The city of owls
    Batman vol .3: Death of the family
    Batman vol .4: Zero Year: Secret City
    Batman vol .5: Zero Year: Dark City

Alot of people (me included) also like books where Batman is seen through the eyes of Joker. While they're dark, they're really fascinating how they deconstruct Batman and his relationship with the Joker.

Beware, neither of these are particularly "nice" books.

Killing Joke by Alan Moore & Brian Bolland. Sort of an origin-tale for the joker, also potentially an ending.
    Arkham Aslyum by Grant Morrison & Dave McKean. Batman gets locked inside a nut house run by the Joker.
    Joker by Brian Azzarello & Lee Bermejo. Basically a "fan" of the Joker gets to meet his "idol".

Hope you find something to read! And most importantly enjoy!
    Last edited by borntohula; 10-20-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Incredible Member

I think Hush is kind of a good story for new fans, because it basically says what Batman's past is, looks pretty on a visual level, and shows off about a dozen villains and allies so after reading it you kind of know who a lot of people are and get the jist of average Batman.

That said, the ending is a bit lame and that might be offputting.

A little advice from someone that was in your position not that long ago. "Don't listen to anyone on this board, including me".

The reason I say that is everyone has different tastes when it comes to comics. Comics are a tricky medium to attempt to judge for someone else.
    Some people judge by story telling, others by art. Some people like down to earth detective stories, while others like crazy action packaged issues. Ect.

I asked this same question a few years back and I got the typical responses that your going to get on this board.

Anything prior to Batman #404 (1987) in my opinion, is totally a waste of time. Unless you really like hokey childrens comics. (Many will agrue with this, like I said above, but thats all they are. But all comics were pretty much like this at the time).
    While I agree that you should make individual based on what the person likes rather than what you like you self. I find it odd your recommendation than focus so much on what you like.
    I guess you haven't read any of O'Neil's Batman stories from the 70's and Hush is probably your all time favourite story followed by Under the Red Hood? I also assume you are still in your teens.

Quote Originally Posted by thewickedeast View Post

I hope someone can help me. I'm really excited about this.

Thank you!

--

Carla
    For starter since as others has pointed out there is several ways to start and many have different opinions on what is a good story I will ask what do you like about Batman? What other kind of stories do you like (TV, games, novels, movies and what not)? In general if you tell us a little about your self and what you like makes it a lot easier. You said you like the Gotham show does this mean you are interested in the Batman universe or only Batman? What characters do you like?

Does matter that you are a female? Not necessarily but it might. Do you want a strong female character (for instance Catwoman) in the story or is this unimportant?
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 10-21-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    While I agree that you should make individual based on what the person likes rather than what you like you self. I find it odd your recommendation than focus so much on what you like.
    I guess you haven't read any of O'Neil's Batman stories from the 70's and Hush is probably your all time favourite story followed by Under the Red Hood? I also assume you are still in your teens.
    I was in my teens a few decades back. Well into my 30s now. It has nothing to do with age, but taste, and I just find does stories BORING.

My favorite all time story is The Black Mirror and not Hush actually. For a Hush story, give me DINIs Heart of Hush, followed by Streets of Gotham, all really good stuff.

I'm not trying to convience you or anyone else to not like Frank Miller's Batman, that's why I noted for him/her not to take even my word for it and to buy a lot of #1s to see what jumped out for them.

Give me Snyder and Dini all day over O'Neil and Miller.

I'm not doubting their importance or influence, I just don't personally like their work.
    Last edited by CoffeeCup; 10-21-2014 at 09:27 AM.

BANNED

But most on here will call me crazy for hating on Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, but I just don't care for them.

If I were in your position again I'd save myself a lot of time and money and start with the new 52 Batman vol 1.

What I recommend is going to comixology and searching batman. You are going to get a lot of results. Download a bunch of #1 issues and read them (Most the time #1 are free or .99 cents) This is a cheap, easy way to see what jumps out at you.

Starting with Batman #404 (Year One) DC reset its universe, but issues of Batman and other titles kept the same numbering, but everything that had happened prior to #404 was either altered or removed from history all together. This Era - pretty much ran until Sept 2011 before DC relaunched the universe again. There were slight changes here and there but nothing major. (Personally, I don't think much before No Mans Land (2000) is really worth giving a second read, but after NML there are some really good stories. Grant Morrision Batman saga, The Black Mirror, Gotham Central, Under the Hood, Hush)

With the 2011 relaunch, this time DC changed the number and went back to #1. This relaunch is branded the NEW 52 (52 is kind of an important number to DC, basically there are 52 "worlds", also the relaunch had 52 titles being printed). This is the easiest place to pick up and begin with because pretty much eveything previously was erased from history.
    Victory over DKR no way in the hell art or story Victory was trying desperately ape Dark Knight and failed Frank Miller rules.Dark Knight is masterpiece of the medium It's something any fan of comics should read but especially a fan of Batman.
    Last edited by doodledude; 10-21-2014 at 10:53 AM.