66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 78.79%
  • No

5 7.58%
  • Don't really care

9 13.64%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Is there a place for Mary Jane in 616 currently?

So Mary Jane has been brushed aside and her appearances are limited to out of character moments.

So does MJ have to be strictly used in the Spider titles to appear anywhere?

And does anyone else find Slott's reasoning for MJ not to be a part of Peter's life dodgy? Peter's life is too dangerous and whatnot and then she proceeds to date a fireman, which is a dangerous job? And he has no powers.

Should she be powered up? With Inhumans popping up everywhere she could easily be powered up and maybe give the Inhuman title much needed interest.

I just find it really disheartening to see such an iconic character swept aside so easily.
    So honestly, do you think that Mary Jane has run her course or should she have a continuous place in the Marvel Universe? Would it depend on the creative team perhaps?
    Last edited by RedQueen; 10-20-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Nah, I don't think so. Or maybe that's because the last time I saw her pissed me off so much I don't want her back. All of Superior Spider-Man pissed me off actually.

EDIT:
    Actually I take that back. I wouldn't seeing her out and about, but under the right creative team.
    Last edited by Star-Lord; 10-20-2014 at 09:26 AM.

I would have said yes before Amazing Spider-Man rebooted but now with Spider-gwen and Silk it seems like Pete has some options here. Not to mention Spider-Woman getting a little more attention too. Pete could have his hands full here. MJ hasnt even been mentioned since ASM 1 I think.

Sure. And, FWIW, I happen to think the idea of her owning her own nightclub and getting a new boyfriend is both long overdue and the best use of the character since OMD. I am all for seeing this current status quo explored a bit more and developing her character beyond just being Peter's ex.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Sure. And, FWIW, I happen to think the idea of her owning her own nightclub and getting a new boyfriend is both long overdue and the best use of the character since OMD. I am all for seeing this current status quo explored a bit more and developing her character beyond just being Peter's ex.
    Still waiting on Mephisto coming back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It does make her feel a little more real if she's not just waiting around for Peter. Even MJ has to have a life.

Using her elsewhere? Sure, why not. Might have been interesting to have her as a non-romantic supporting cast member over in Hawkeye. Y'know, fit her night club in somehow. Long as she's not getting powers and stuff.

BANNED

I'm kind of surprised that Mary Jane hasn't even made a cameo appearance in the upcoming Spider-verse event.

Poor MJ. She was once held in the highest regard as the Wife of Spider-man, and once to be mother of his children. Possibly highest honored female in comics, a well earned status, and every much Peter's equal. Has any character fallen from such heights?

She has been trampled on and regressed to ex-girlfriend status in the effort to make Spidey single and date c-list love decoys. Good luck ever finding a more compelling, iconic and deserving love interest for the character. Even Gwen Stacy is better off as her arc is at least allowed to be remembered. The sad part is, I doubt the current creators care or will be able to build her back up again from where they have brought her down to, as they have been performing character assisination in order have fans accept "better" love interests for Peter.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-20-2014 at 11:20 AM.

BANNED

Baby-maker: The highest honor.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Baby-maker: The highest honor.

I meant wife of Spider-man. You don't get better than that. Any other love interest has big shoes to fill.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-20-2014 at 03:38 PM.

BANNED

I'm sure in the comics some folks would agree that marrying a masked vigilante is any sort of highest honor, no matter how good a guy Peter is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    So Mary Jane has been brushed aside and her appearances are limited to out of character moments.

So does MJ have to be strictly used in the Spider titles to appear anywhere?

And does anyone else find Slott's reasoning for MJ not to be a part of Peter's life dodgy? Peter's life is too dangerous and whatnot and then she proceeds to date a fireman, which is a dangerous job? And he has no powers.

Should she be powered up? With Inhumans popping up everywhere she could easily be powered up and maybe give the Inhuman title much needed interest.

I just find it really disheartening to see such an iconic character swept aside so easily.
    So honestly, do you think that Mary Jane has run her course or should she have a continuous place in the Marvel Universe? Would it depend on the creative team perhaps?
    Under Dan Slott and Nick Lowe, Mary Jane is being written out of the series for the foreseeable future and replaced with Anna Maria. I simply think that Slott feels that MJ and all of Peter's past love interests has run its course. As long as Slott's the writer, Mary Jane or any other popular female character is not going to become a love interest under his penmanship. He's not interested in Norah Winters, Betty Brant, or even Liz Allan. In addition, Peter's just a guest in his own book because Slott's creations gets the spotlight over his own development.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.

All-New Member

Does anyone really care about Peter's other love interests? Carlie Cooper and Anna Maria are good characters, but let's face it, they're no MJ, Gwen Stacy or Black Cat.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    Does anyone really care about Peter's other love interests? Carlie Cooper and Anna Maria are good characters, but let's face it, they're no MJ, Gwen Stacy or Black Cat.
    There are other female characters who could rival Mary Jane and Black Cat. It's just Slott isn't interested with using them as he wants to use his own characters. Otherwise, Jessica Drew, Jennifer Walters(Human side), Carol Danvers, Betty Brant, and Natasha Romanov as clear rivals.

Carlie Cooper and Anna Maria are pale in comparison to Jennifer Walters(Human side) and Betty Brant. I think that Slott should replace Carlie Cooper with Greer Grant(tigra) as NYPD Crime Scene Investigator. Anna Maria is Otto's love interest, not Parker's.

And lot of folks have forgotten Betty Brant and Liz Allan as Peter's other potential love interests.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-20-2014 at 12:05 PM.

MJ is a creation of Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and John Romita, Sr. There will ALWAYS be a place for her in the Spider-Man titles because of that.

But I was thinking about this subject a bit recently and had a few thoughts about her current status in the books.

1: The fallout of Superior. This is one of the biggest reasons she hasn't exactly been prominent lately. But I think it kinda works against itself, too. Since it was just a reiteration of the ending of OMIT, in a way. The idea is that Peter's personal life has fallen apart because of his being Spider-Man. (Felicia definitely got it worse in the fallout, though.)

2: So Spidey and Silk can have guilt free make-out sessions. (I actually think the relationship between Spidey and Silk is kinda gross. Which, to be fair, is what I think they're aiming for. But it would put Peter in a bad light if he were seen as cheating on MJ during this story.)

3: People love Emma Stone. This is basically the biggest resurgence of Gwen Stacy as a character in a long time.

4: All things come around. MJ's been written out of the book before. And she'll come around to appearing in the book again. In what capacity, who can say. But they'll probably be playing "ship tease" with her and Peter again. Eventually.