Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Dick is 5 years older than Tim. People mature quite a bit between sophomore year of high school and Junior year of college. Dick had stable parents/guardians for his whole life. Tim had that until he was, what, 14. Now he lives on his own and parties with other teens. He gets to be immature. Jason had a bad upbringing, then was brutally murdered. He gets to be angsty and violent because his life sucks, honestly.
    But is Tim really immature? Mostly he comes across as very competent and confidant, and somewhat cold, to be honest. As for Jason, he is becoming steadily less angry and violent. They seem to be quietly pushing both DITF and UTRH into the background and letting the influence of those stories gradually fade away. They have already done something of the kind with Barbara and TKJ, and as the new direction unfolds that story will probably be effectively retconned.

It will be interesting to see what the resurrected Damian's personality is like. As with victim Barbara and angry Jason, assassin Damian can get very old and turn into a dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Yes, it's the direction they are going. You'd best quit reading as soon as possible. In fact, you should just go ahead and donate all of your existing comics to charity and switch to collecting stamps.
    he's the guy from your avvy!

Quote Originally Posted by HLOTS View Post
    Jason and Damian should definitely bond. They have so much in common.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I ask honestly - did you read the end of Nightwing, the start of Grayson and Dick's appearance in B&R?
    Yes, I did read all of Nightwing and his appearance(s) in B&R.

I've not read Grayson yet. I'm trade waiting because the concept really doesn't appeal to me. I never found Spyral too interesting, and the idea of a mainstream spy thriller is kinda meh to me. The chorus of praise on these boards is the only reason I'm giving it a go. Same thing when Harley comes out in trade.

TBH, I think part of my problem is that he's been a bit of a third wheel the whole New 52, Culminating in Final Crisis, until finally finding a niche away from the Bat-Verse. To me, that says a lot about how the character is seen.

Anyway, I'm happy to disagree here but, as I'm never arrogantly stubborn, I'll take another look at some of the books mentioned and see if I can't find something I've missed. I didn't remember the B&R annual for example, but definitely have it somewhere.

I'll absolutely give that I probably read Nightwing 30 in the wrong mindset, because of the events of Forever Evil (still not cool). That said, I'm never big on Bruce and Dick fighting or "hit me 'til you feel better" catharsis.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

The thing that got me about the final issue of Nightwing, was one they had that way too long fight, it was ok for Bruce to beat the snot out of Dick, but after Dick got a few god shots in an d Bruce fell, it was k, lets end this! Kinda like I'm taking the ball home, game over!

... I never liked the idea of Damian as Robin. He's still a maniac, basically. He wants to kill criminals, not "stop crime." He despises the people he protects as being "too weak." No. I don't care. That's not Robin, to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... I never liked the idea of Damian as Robin. He's still a maniac, basically. He wants to kill criminals, not "stop crime." He despises the people he protects as being "too weak." No. I don't care. That's not Robin, to me.
    That's not Damian, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting that from.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Killing Criminals will stop crime, Batman's no kill rule is ridiculous tbh. Granted from a story telling POV there would be little to tell so I am okay with it.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    But is Tim really immature? Mostly he comes across as very competent and confidant, and somewhat cold, to be honest. As for Jason, he is becoming steadily less angry and violent. They seem to be quietly pushing both DITF and UTRH into the background and letting the influence of those stories gradually fade away. They have already done something of the kind with Barbara and TKJ, and as the new direction unfolds that story will probably be effectively retconned.

It will be interesting to see what the resurrected Damian's personality is like. As with victim Barbara and angry Jason, assassin Damian can get very old and turn into a dead end.
    I was mainly responding to the person I quoted. If he feels Tim is immature, then his age and lack of parental guidance is the excuse. I personally do not see it but to each their own.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    Killing Criminals will stop crime, Batman's no kill rule is ridiculous tbh. Granted from a story telling POV there would be little to tell so I am okay with it.
    That's why countries with the death penalty have the lowest crime rates.

-facepalm-

Amazing Member

For me Tomasi is getting a fair say in what happens in Batman which is interesting as he is not on a major Batman title. This book should go, it had its hey day when Damian was alive. Bringing him back is not a surprise given the history of bringing back dead characters in this medium....Yawnnnn!

He's just a bad and unoriginal character, lets get an older Robin with a less cliche personality and character arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Conductor View Post
    That's why countries with the death penalty have the lowest crime rates.

-facepalm-
    Well, that's because their crime rate isn't seemingly mostly commit by a small collection of serial killers.

BANNED

I like Jason and Damian as maniacs. They make good contrasts with sexpot Dick and girlyman Tim.

Extraordinary Member

Jason and Damien as maniacs were pretty one-note (Jason especially). Jason's gotten a lot better since Scott Lobdell and the new 52.