Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Kirkman on Daryl Dixon's Sexuality in "The Walking Dead"

Robert Kirkman has weighed in on Daryl Dixon's sexuality on AMC's "The Walking Dead," saying the writers have "very specific ideas."

Full article here.

It'd be really cool if they did it, Norman Reedus is the only reason I still keep up with the show. It'd certainly make a lot of sense character-wise given his history.

Honestly I rather like him as the asexual guy he is, haha. I wouldn't care either way though.

And good god Silent Hills looks awesome. Wonder if it'd be too much to hope for a PC release.

Wow. This is, um... wow. Not something I had ever considered, but it would make sense considering how he has never connected intimately or romantically with any of the women in the group.

The more I think about it, it would be a pretty awesome reveal. I hope they get around to it at some point.

BANNED

Hmm, I'm indifferent. However, it would be refreshing to have a gay character that isn't a stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    Wow. This is, um... wow. Not something I had ever considered, but it would make sense considering how he has never connected intimately or romantically with any of the women in the group.

The more I think about it, it would be a pretty awesome reveal. I hope they get around to it at some point.
    Not only that, but his asexual outlook so far being a result of him concealing himself from his father and Merle all of his life. It's not something I had previously considered either, but it makes him all the more interesting.

It doesn't even have to be stated outright, or make a thing out of it. I'm just happy to hear it's at least been discussed by the creators.

Yeah.... Not too interested in this. A move like this would just be some Stupid PC ploy. What does it matter what his sexuality is? Why can't he just continue to be a great character without the shows creators using him for some idiotic publicity stunt!?! Besides, he has already been seen on the show clearly interested in Carol!
    Read Hyperactive Comics on comicfury, The Duck web comics and Tapastic!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch C. View Post
    Yeah.... Not too interested in this. A move like this would just be some Stupid PC ploy. What does it matter what his sexuality is? Why can't he just continue to be a great character without the shows creators using him for some idiotic publicity stunt!?! Besides, he has already been seen on the show clearly interested in Carol!
    I never got a sexual vibe from them, it seemed like a genuine platonic friendship to me. They were like kindred spirits, both came from abusive relationships that they had to move on from.

Giving Daryl a male romantic interest(or simply hinting his attraction to men) doesn't seem like pandering to me at all. He's never been established as straight, and you even said it yourself, "What does it matter what his sexuality is?". There's nothing wrong with being inclusive or politically correct(unless it's nonsensical, which this wouldn't be).
    Last edited by sprior93; 08-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch C. View Post
    Well, now I really want them to make Daryl queer just to watch people's heads explode. It would be hilarious.

I hope he ends up being a necrophile. This whole zombie apocalypse thing is his dream come true.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I think it would be interesting and given where we grew up and his brother I could see why he never talked about it. But given the right time, the right place, the right guy, maybe he will open up more.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I've always seen Daryl as asexual. Especially after hearing an interviews with Norman saying that Daryl just doesn't understand "deeply emotional things" and doesn't let anyone close to him like that. It's one of the things I liked about the character, it almost made him a bit child like, which is also why I thought he got along with Carl so well.

I prefer him standoffish and uninterested when it comes to sex. But I'm not Kirkman so he can push characters in his franchise to be however he wants them. I don't want to see him hooking up with anyone myself, but I don't think it would be a show breaker for me unless they tried to make it even more of a romantic senses that overtake the feelings of the Apocalypse.

I was hopeful that Maggie and Glenn would be enough for the "romance" crowd. Usually I'm all for romances in dramas but I prefer my Apocalypse settings to be more like a war film.
    Last edited by victorsage; 08-15-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    Well, now I really want them to make Daryl queer just to watch people's heads explode. It would be hilarious.
    If it's done right granted it could just be no big deal. If they start trying to put more romance into an Apocalypse show though I think it would annoy a lot of people, myself included. I was worried during the Daryl and Beth thing that it was going to end with them having sex in the moonshine hut over a game of "I've never", with the idea that this was the next big thing for the shippers to squeal over. That whole episode I was just going... no.. no... come on this is a zombie show! Luckily it didn't come to that.

I am worried that if they did make Daryl gay they'd put "him finding his groove" front and center the same way they put Maggie and Glenn finding love front and center, after the "we need to deal with the fact we just banged" moment. I was a bit more understanding with Maggie and Glenn since it's comes directly from the comics, but I am a bit tired of the crowd who are hoping from romances and shipping to start taking over the show. It's bad enough dealing with the fans who are begging to have Rick and Michonne start to build up into a huge romantic event. Please Kirkman don't turn the damn show into Dawson's Creek with walking corpses... please...

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZBarbarian View Post
    I hope he ends up being a necrophile. This whole zombie apocalypse thing is his dream come true.
    I just assumed him to be asexual and that is truly not represented in television. If he were gay, cool, it doesn't matter. I think him being a necrophiliac is disturbing but would also fit, good call.

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    I just assumed him to be asexual and that is truly not represented in television. If he were gay, cool, it doesn't matter. I think him being a necrophiliac is disturbing but would also fit, good call.
    If they honestly made him a necrophile, I think the phrase "jump the shark" would soon be replaced with "humped the corpse". lol The show would fall in the ratings so fast it would only be funny to the "trolololo" crowd.