Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommendations: Comic Book Podcasts / Spoiler Free If Possible!

Hey all. I enjoy listening to podcasts to fill in those gaps of time that would be otherwise wasted. I figured I'd ask you guys and ladies your recommendations on some good comic book related podcasts. I'm specifically looking for some that are spoiler free or as near to spoiler free as possible, but feel free to post your recommendations in general. If you list something please elaborate as much as possible. Why you like it, how in depth the hosts get, do they do interviews, how long the show usually is and if they avoid spoilers. Thanks and I hope to get some good feedback!

I think the one at fightforcomics.com comes as close as I have found.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

All-New Member

James Viscardi formerly of Marvel employment does one called Let's Talk Comics which is basically origin stories of people in comics. Writers, Artists, people in production. Its really in depth and well done.

Another one that takes a similar bent is Inkpulp Audio which is hosted by Marvel artist Shawn Crystal. This might be my personal favorite because he delves deep into the psyche of artists, the self doubt, the loneliness of being in the studio all the time. He gets super DEEP with artists. Highlights for me were the Skottie Young and Ryan Stegman episodes.

In that same vein of interview podcasts without spoilers is the Nerdist Comics Panel. Hosted by the writing teamof Ben Blacker and Ben Acker (Thrilling Adventure Hour, Wolverine Season One) and Len Wein.

Also theres Make it Then Tell Everybody, hosted by indie cartoonist Dan Berry. He stays on the indie side with his interviews, but some really interesting people who dont usually get covered on most of the more mainstream sites/casts like the amazing Julia Wertz episode. (Man why EVERYONE doesnt do a Wertz episode is beyond me.

None of these really get into spoiler territory...they are solely about the craft and lives of the various comics people.

Check out these guys: http://mikeandpol.com/

You can always check the post summary to determine if you're worried about spoilery-ness.

Thanks for the great feedback so far. I'll make sure to check them all out.

In that same vein of interview podcasts without spoilers is the Nerdist Comics Panel. Hosted by the writing teamof Ben Blacker and Ben Acker (Thrilling Adventure Hour, Wolverine Season One) and Len Wein.
    They also have another podcast on the nerdist network. It's called Comic Book Club. I subscribed to it, but haven't tried it out yet. Some of their other podcasts are pretty good about spoilers so I hope this might be the same.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback so far. I'll make sure to check them all out.

They also have another podcast on the nerdist network. It's called Comic Book Club. I subscribed to it, but haven't tried it out yet. Some of their other podcasts are pretty good about spoilers so I hope this might be the same.
    Comic Book club does do a review section where each of the 3 hosts reviews a book they liked from the week so that section sometimes gets a little spoilery...i tried to only hit you with non review shows since you said you'd like to avoid spoilers and though some of them try to avoid them I've yet to find a review show that ACTUALLY avoids spoilers.

All you'll ever need
    http://www.factualopinion.com/
    http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/

A blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art.

Quote Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    Comic Book club does do a review section where each of the 3 hosts reviews a book they liked from the week so that section sometimes gets a little spoilery...i tried to only hit you with non review shows since you said you'd like to avoid spoilers and though some of them try to avoid them I've yet to find a review show that ACTUALLY avoids spoilers.
    You can feel free to post whatever you enjoy as a recommendation. Just make note of how spoiler free it may or may not be. That's the tough thing. They can't help, but go indepth about a specific book while discussing it. I don't necessarily mind spoilers that are at worst general and don't go into great detail. Even better if they have a section that can easily be avoided or has warnings before hand that a person can just skip over. Thanks again for your recommendations.
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-09-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    Check out these guys: http://mikeandpol.com/

You can always check the post summary to determine if you're worried about spoilery-ness.
    Thanks so much for the plug!
    Basically, Mike (formerly known as CBR poster Mike Smash!) and I try to promote comics in a way that's (a) positive, and (b) targets people who either don't read comics, or are kinda losing interest in the ones they ARE reading.

The way I see it, there are a lot of comics out there which COULD be someone's favourite if only they knew about them, but when you don't have the marketing might of Warner Brothers or Disney behind you, it can be hard to find them, so we try and recommend stuff we think people will dig the heck out of.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

All-New Member

My friend and i just started a comic book/ video game podcast on youtube. Our first episode is mostly marvel talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cKIORmHIgk
    We are not a spoiler free podcast, but the spoilers are pretty minor
    It doesn't have a name yet, but we're going to be doing it weekly.
    I also really like the comicbookgirl19 podcast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    James Viscardi formerly of Marvel employment does one called Let's Talk Comics which is basically origin stories of people in comics. Writers, Artists, people in production. Its really in depth and well done.

Another one that takes a similar bent is Inkpulp Audio which is hosted by Marvel artist Shawn Crystal. This might be my personal favorite because he delves deep into the psyche of artists, the self doubt, the loneliness of being in the studio all the time. He gets super DEEP with artists. Highlights for me were the Skottie Young and Ryan Stegman episodes.

Also theres Make it Then Tell Everybody, hosted by indie cartoonist Dan Berry. He stays on the indie side with his interviews, but some really interesting people who dont usually get covered on most of the more mainstream sites/casts like the amazing Julia Wertz episode. (Man why EVERYONE doesnt do a Wertz episode is beyond me.

None of these really get into spoiler territory...they are solely about the craft and lives of the various comics people.
    Great suggestions, i will check them out.

BANNED

Fatman on Batman
    The Nerdist

All-New Member

Ok for review shows that have some spoilers but make it easy to avoid:

Ifanboy - they always post a show notes with timestamps so any books you cant deal with spoilers of can be skipped while enjoying the rest.

Matt and Brett Love Comics - two NYC comedians and comiclovers (Brett writes the In Your Face Jam column here at CBR). their show is basically a book club so gets deep into the books they are reading, but it varies from classic runs to new stuff.

Loikamania - i shouldnt have forgotten this one in my first reply since he doesnt do spoilerific reviews...he's another great interview show...sometimes he does do review epsidoes or roundtables where he'll get deep into an event (the battle of the atom eps were pretty great). plus if you love comics and dont love Pat Loika...well i just dont know.

War Rocket Ajax - Chris Sims and Matt D. Wilson's show which is a bit of everything...there's always an interview segment with awesome guests (they're yearly Matt Fraction Christmas episode is pretty notorious) and they also do a couple of weekly reviews. nice variety of guests from the indie and mainstream sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    Thanks so much for the plug!
    Basically, Mike (formerly known as CBR poster Mike Smash!) and I try to promote comics in a way that's (a) positive, and (b) targets people who either don't read comics, or are kinda losing interest in the ones they ARE reading.

The way I see it, there are a lot of comics out there which COULD be someone's favourite if only they knew about them, but when you don't have the marketing might of Warner Brothers or Disney behind you, it can be hard to find them, so we try and recommend stuff we think people will dig the heck out of.
    Excellent podcast, just found out about it from this thread. Really like your enthusiasm for comics. Bookmarked your site, would love to see your show more than once a month though. Good job.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Mike's in the U.S. and Pol's in Australia, it's not that easy getting the logistics worked out.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua