Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Washington Post columnist bashes WB's DC movie slate.

Not only do I not agree with her, it sure sounds like she's got a Marvel bias...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/The-superhero-bubble-is-destined-to-burst-Warner-Brothers-making-a-mistake/

She's got a lot of glowing things to say about Marvel, but goes out of her way to condemn WB's DC movie slate. The implication being that if superhero movies become less popular? Then it's all WB's fault.

Right, because of course all the other studios like Sony and Fox aren't part of the glut of superhero movies, too. Gimme a break.

BANNED

Well, it is Warner Bros fault for waiting this long to make these movies while Marvel goes full steam ahead with their film universe. So I don't blame her on the criticizing.

Yeah, that's a bit ridiculous. I don't even know where to begin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Not only do I not agree with her, it sure sounds like she's got a Marvel bias...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/The-superhero-bubble-is-destined-to-burst-Warner-Brothers-making-a-mistake/

She's got a lot of glowing things to say about Marvel, but goes out of her way to condemn WB's DC movie slate. The implication being that if superhero movies become less popular? Then it's all WB's fault.

Right, because of course all the other studios like Sony and Fox aren't part of the glut of superhero movies, too. Gimme a break.
    Meh. She clearly knows very little about comics, anybody who boils down the premise of Suicide Squad to be a rip off of Guardians of the Galaxy just sounds like somebody who is used to watching rom coms, dancing with the stars and CSI for their entertainment. She comes off like an editorial in The Onion, I am not interested in her opinion at all.

Extraordinary Member

Please. Get a life whoever wrote this.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Luckily no one gets the Washington Post outside of the Beltway, and the ones who do get it inside the Beltway don't read it, although I hear it makes a lovely mulch

Astonishing Member

I don't see why this is thread-worhty. The Washing Post reports news, but opinion pieces have the same value as a random blog.

OK, first of all. I find this whole narrative silly. People talk as if comic book movies are a long established genre from which we can be free to draw conclusions, instead of something that's really only become plain over the past 5-10 years. There were no journalists or bloggers sitting around in 1999 screaming "Where's Marvel??? DC is kicking Marvel's ass!!!" because there had ONLY been Superman and Batman movies till then. Not to mention the fact that DC had had three successful live-action TV shows by 1980 and Marvel really only had the Hulk. Marvel Studios was created and has been very successful. They also showed us that the shared universe is a viable option and now everyone wants a piece of it. Good for them! I couldn't be happier! Hollywood will do what Hollywood does and copy-copy-copy. BUT we have no idea what the future will bring. In 5-10 years everything could be different. Marvel may have shot its load on all its major characters and DC will be just getting going with its big guns and new contracts will all its stars. Or not. Who knows? And as for the bubble bursting? Sure, I worry about that too. But I tend to think this genre is here to stay. Hollywood still makes Westerns after all. And look at the movie musical. It was a dominant, viable form all the way till the late 60s and then suddenly it went out of style. Now since the success of "Chicago" Hollywood makes musicals again. Some are hits, some not. Some are good, some not. But they keep making them. I think now that these studios know what's possible they'll keep making them, even if it's not 5 or 6 a year. Naturally, I hope it lasts forever.

The 2016 release of “Suicide Squad” is another copycat move. The comic book features a crew of antiheroes, who are sprung from jail to become covert operatives for the good guys. Sound familiar?
    The "sound familiar" is a hyperlink to a review of Guardians Of The Galaxy. To refer to Suicide Squad as a copycat shows a severe lack of understanding of the core concept.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Any one who things the Suicide Squad and the Guardians are even remotely similar should not be writing about comics.
    Cyclops was right

Haha who the hell would compare Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy. They are like opposite sides of the comic spectrum. If anything, there being movies of the two is a testament to how wide and diverse the kind of movies that comic people are making are. Besides, even if they were similar, who the hell cares; there are plenty of famous movies that are similar and don't diminish each other.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Meh. She clearly knows very little about comics, anybody who boils down the premise of Suicide Squad to be a rip off of Guardians of the Galaxy just sounds like somebody who is used to watching rom coms, dancing with the stars and CSI for their entertainment. She comes off like an editorial in The Onion, I am not interested in her opinion at all.
    To be fair, I love "Dancing With the Stars."

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    To be fair, I love "Dancing With the Stars."
    Eh, no one is perfect.

Hey, you quoted me for your sig! Cool!

As for this article....who cares? Seriously, just because someone writes an opinion piece online doesnt mean its even worth talking about.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

What this woman is saying is "I don''t know or care for any of these franchises, so my bet is that they will turn out badly."

So, you know, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Well, it is Warner Bros fault for waiting this long to make these movies while Marvel goes full steam ahead with their film universe. So I don't blame her on the criticizing.
    It takes about two seconds to figure out why this happened. The MCU debuted the same year as The Dark Knight, which at the time, was the most successful superhero film ever made. Fans and critics agreed unanimously. Nolan was adamant on keeping his Batman in a separate universe from any other superhero films. There was also the inevitable sequel that would come in time if execs were patient and didn't push things. Even his in between non-Batman film, Inception, did crazy business. They just had to wait until he was ready to deliver, regardless of what the competition was doing. Plus the first few MCU films didn't exactly break records. They steadily grew.

Nolan was the golden goose, and the studio would've been stupid to take creative control of the franchise away from him for the sake of playing catch up. They also experimented by releasing Green Lantern, which was an abysmal failure. They were banking on Dark Knight Rises to save the day, plus Man of Steel was already under way. Again, early indications were that MOS would be self contained, and although only partially connected to Nolan, it still bore his name and they didn't want to ruffle feathers. Plus they knew DKR would wrap up his trilogy, and they could reboot soon after.

DKR went head to head with Avengers and while both made money, Avengers became the third highest grossing film in history. Warner Bros goes into panic mode. Now they know they have to get to Justice League asap, no matter the consequences. What to do? Ideas were thrown around. They have this huge film coming out next year starring the other lead of a Justice League roster. They had to see how it did financially anyway. It finally hits and does decent business, but nothing amazing, and critics and fans were split on opinions. What to do? Start from scratch again?

Some good bits were established, so the writer and director are coaxed and all of a sudden we get the news of Batman vs Superman. And with the subtitle, we know Justice League is next. All of a sudden, the spotlight is back on DCU and things seems to be making sense. They figure out a slate of solo titles to expand on the other characters. While not nearly as neat as the MCU roles out, despite all odds, it appears the DCCU is finally coming together. But everything that happened was a matter of consequence, not necessarily incompetence.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 10-21-2014 at 12:13 PM.