Super Moderator

Default The Punisher, #1

FRANK CASTLE LOSES CONTROL!
    A by-the-numbers drug bust is about to take Frank Castle by surprise...and he HATES surprises. The horrible fallout threatens to send The Punisher into the heart of darkness, but Castle won't make that journey alone: A DEA agent is on his trail and attempting to get into his head...but what horrors will she find there, and will she survive the experience? First-time Punisher writer Becky Cloonan and quintessential Punisher artist Steve Dillon are forcing Frank Castle out of his comfort zone and taking him to the edge of the world he thought he knew!

Full article here.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Fuuuuh, Steve Dillion's art really looks great! Definitely picking this issue up!!
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Really looking forward to this and am curious about what direction Cloonan is going to take Frank. Also, I'm curious about his age again. The "old man" in the preview appears to be an old soldier and the reaction he has to Punisher doesn't seem to be "Oh crap, it's the Punisher!" It's more personal he used "Frank Castle" instead. So I'm wondering if, since this book will be not a by the numbers Punisher story arc, but something new, they'll keep him a 'Nam vet?

The stuff with the Bloodstone was the perfect way to keep him active while still preserving the Nam connection. Either way, I'll pick this up, can't wait!
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Interested what direction Cloonan's gotta take. I mean, with the success of the Netflix Punisher, I'm not sure how much of that stuff Cloonan will borrow or be influenced by. Hope the story's good, because the dialogue... it sounds really, really awkward. Like, Cloonan's trying to get the gangster voice down, but it just falls flat.

Oh, and Dillon's art definitely looks better here than his stuff I've seen post-Preacher, but it's still really "one face", though it's a bit better. At least people don't look as weirdly oily looking as they did in some of his other stuff (you know, that "artist just discovered digital art" look?)
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

so what is the new status quo of the series? what backup, if any, does Punisher have? What law enforcement, if any, is looking after him?

I'm not sold on being fully embedded in the powered world, if this is the case. Frank's lethal tactics won't allow him to take out anyone besides C-list villains. You know up front that he's not going to be allowed to bump off Electro.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what is the new status quo of the series? what backup, if any, does Punisher have? What law enforcement, if any, is looking after him?

I'm not sold on being fully embedded in the powered world, if this is the case. Frank's lethal tactics won't allow him to take out anyone besides C-list villains. You know up front that he's not going to be allowed to bump off Electro.
    You never know. I mean, look at Namor...
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force