Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BTW one other Ultimate release in January is the TPB of Cataclysm.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Nothing for me here. Secret Wars can't come soon enough to the ultimate universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolJay2Infinity View Post
    Wait Miles is joining SHIELD???? I thought he joined the All New X-Men???????????????? C'mon man.........I rather him on the X-men Squad
    But I really hope the All New Ultimates don't get Cancelled....I really enjoy that series.
    It is cancelled. Blame Marvel marketing relying on Tumblr to sell any book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It is cancelled.
    Marvel have yet to confirm its cancellation as far as I'm aware. The only report I've seen of that was a Bleeding Cool article, and Bleeding Cool is gossip.

Blame Marvel marketing relying on Tumblr to sell any book.
    Care to explain how that is even the tiniest bit true?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Care to explain how that is even the tiniest bit true?
    Could be wrong here, but I get the feeling 'Tumblr' has become short-hand for non-traditional audience? I'm on Tumblr, but the vast majority of users are seemingly women, plus there's a lot more people of colour, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people and people who don't really fit into the gender binary. Presumably they like Tumblr because it's relatively cumbersome, so it's a lot harder to troll/harass people for these things (because the sad reality seems to be that women for example suffer a lot more abuse on the Internet than men do).

Anyway I don't think it's really true that this audience can't sustain titles, because the comics which are popular on Tumblr have all done very well. Young Avengers, Ms. Marvel, the new Batgirl, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk are some of the ones I see being mentioned most. (And a lot of indies obviously.) All of those are doing or have done pretty well (I'm 100% expecting a She-Hulk relaunch soon.)

So maybe what the user above means is that because All-New Ultimates features a cast without any white dudes, it must surely be pandering to the non-traditional comic buyer? Could be true! If so, then it's a shame it didn't work that well, because in my opinion comics have a huge diversity problem. Both in creators as well as the audience. The typical straight white male audience is not big enough to sustain the industry; meanwhile Ms. Marvel and Saga are thriving by also being women-friendly (i.e.: no rampant over-sexualisation).

Fact is representation matters; every now and then Bendis gets glowing praise on Tumblr for having created Miles Morales because people of colour feel there's finally a "Spider-Man for us too." People like seeing their own race or sexuality reflected in the media they consume (see also: Orange Is The New Black's success).
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Could be wrong here, but I get the feeling 'Tumblr' has become short-hand for non-traditional audience? I'm on Tumblr, but the vast majority of users are seemingly women, plus there's a lot more people of colour, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people and people who don't really fit into the gender binary. Presumably they like Tumblr because it's relatively cumbersome, so it's a lot harder to troll/harass people for these things (because the sad reality seems to be that women for example suffer a lot more abuse on the Internet than men do).

Anyway I don't think it's really true that this audience can't sustain titles, because the comics which are popular on Tumblr have all done very well. Young Avengers, Ms. Marvel, the new Batgirl, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk are some of the ones I see being mentioned most. (And a lot of indies obviously.) All of those are doing or have done pretty well (I'm 100% expecting a She-Hulk relaunch soon.)

So maybe what the user above means is that because All-New Ultimates features a cast without any white dudes, it must surely be pandering to the non-traditional comic buyer? Could be true! If so, then it's a shame it didn't work that well, because in my opinion comics have a huge diversity problem. Both in creators as well as the audience. The typical straight white male audience is not big enough to sustain the industry; meanwhile Ms. Marvel and Saga are thriving by also being women-friendly (i.e.: no rampant over-sexualisation).

Fact is representation matters; every now and then Bendis gets glowing praise on Tumblr for having created Miles Morales because people of colour feel there's finally a "Spider-Man for us too." People like seeing their own race or sexuality reflected in the media they consume (see also: Orange Is The New Black's success).
    Well said, to all of this.

I think it's disappointing that many straight, white, cisgender men won't try and relate to any character who isn't one of them. I've found ways to relate to straight characters; my mother and sister, both comic fans, have male characters they're fans of; and people of color are fans of plenty of white characters. Some of this is out of necessity, b/c like you said, comics have a major representation problem, but some of my faves are still straight characters (Gwen/Peter remains one of my OTPs...ASM2 tore me up. :'( ) And it's just like, if everyone else could relate to straight, white male characters, why can't straight white males get behind books featuring people who are different from them, too?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Well said, to all of this.

I think it's disappointing that many straight, white, cisgender men won't try and relate to any character who isn't one of them. I've found ways to relate to straight characters; my mother and sister, both comic fans, have male characters they're fans of; and people of color are fans of plenty of white characters. Some of this is out of necessity, b/c like you said, comics have a major representation problem, but some of my faves are still straight characters (Gwen/Peter remains one of my OTPs...ASM2 tore me up. :'( ) And it's just like, if everyone else could relate to straight, white male characters, why can't straight white males get behind books featuring people who are different from them, too?
    I think you are very wrong on this. I dropped ANU because I think the writing is below average and the art is very bad. Not because I won't "try to relate" to the charecters who are not like me. The truth is that people relate some characters more than others. I think bombshell and Miles are awesome (even if Bendis' story pace is a huge turn-off).

I dropped Mighty Avengers because of the huge cast (which downgrades half the cast to wallpaper) and because of the heavy focus on Blue marvel, who I find boring just like any other Superman clone. The "old" Captain Marvel series had such a a lot of poor art, which might have been a turn-off for a lot of readers, further more the constant interruptions in the story due to events was a annoying too.

The truth is good stories with some name-recognition sell well. Good stories with little to no name-recognition requires a huge marketing push to have sell mediocre.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post

Excellent points, very well made.

I understood that he was referring to sexuality and race, as that's what for a number of people Tumblr has come to represent. What I wanted DragonPiece (the poster I was addressing) to answer was how he could possibly think it's true that Marvel are looking at Tumblr for every book given that while Marvel definitely have a number of sexually and racially representative books, there are still very many that feature traditional Marvel characters. It seems like a very small but vocal minority of comic book readers readily attack any book for daring to diversify its cast, and use 'Tumblr!' as a criticism for any book that does so. As someone who believes that Marvel is benefiting from its willingness to introduce minority characters and give existing ones more spotlight, seeing comic fans behave this way disappoints me.

I think it's very telling when someone's first criticism of a book has nothing to do with its art or story, and everything to do with it featuring minority characters. Even if they do believe it's pandering, it's still hardly a good look for them to criticise it on that basis. Not saying DragonPiece was necessarily doing this as his comment didn't go into much detail, but that's my take on this whole 'Marvel/Tumblr' thing people keep talking about.