Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Emotional Spectrum / Lantern Corps Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Green - Will
    Yellow - Fear
    Blue - Hope
    Violet - Love
    Red - Rage
    Orange - Avarice
    Indigo - Compassion
    Black - Death
    White - Life

Now that the multi-colored corps have been around for a while, do you like the concept? do you think their potential has been wasted or you are happy with what has been done with it? do you prefered the classic Green Lantern Corps as the only corps or you like them? How would you make them better or/and more popular? and what is your favorite color?? --I mean corps..

Also, in what order you think are the strongest to weakest of corps?
    Last edited by Vision; 10-21-2014 at 01:36 PM.

I've enjoyed it. Its just a bummer to see so many corps getting wiped out lately. I'd have thought there was more to explore with it.

My favorite is blue. All will be well.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I've enjoyed it. Its just a bummer to see so many corps getting wiped out lately. I'd have thought there was more to explore with it.

My favorite is blue. All will be well.
    They aren't wiped out completely just reduced and i'm ok with it TBH as long as there's some ring slingers with colors aside from Green

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    They aren't wiped out completely just reduced and i'm ok with it TBH as long as there's some ring slingers with colors aside from Green
    I feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    Green - Will
    Yellow - Fear
    Blue - Hope
    Violet - Love
    Red - Rage
    Orange - Avarice
    Indigo - Compassion
    Black - Death
    White - Life

Now that the multi-colored corps have been around for a while, do you like the concept? do you think their potential has been wasted or you are happy with what has been done with it? do you prefered the classic Green Lantern Corps as the only corps or you like them? How would you make them better or/and more popular? and what is your favorite color?? --I mean corps..
    I think they're generally goofy, redundant ideas, and they're all used up by this point. In the long run, the only real use I think they've served is giving some other Lanterns different hero identities, which was needed, because there were too many Earthling Green Lanterns. It's interesting to me that these different colored ring wielders congregate together, but the Green Lanterns are the only ones that seem to have a mission statement. They police the universe. I don't know what the Star Sapphires do, or what their goal is, or how they go about achieving it. The Indigo Tribe I guess just hangs out on a planet. The Sinestro Corps had a purpose, which I guess was met, but I don't know what they're supposed to be doing now. Maybe the Sinestro title goes into this? Dunno', don't read it.

I really hope "Godhead" cleans some of this stuff up, and I'm pretty confident it will. Green Lantern has a rich enough setting to where it shouldn't continually rely on different colored Lanterns fighting each other. That gets redundant VERY fast. That stuff went on waaaaaaay too long.

Pretty confident you say? you need to check the solicits then.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I think they're generally goofy, redundant ideas, and they're all used up by this point. In the long run, the only real use I think they've served is giving some other Lanterns different hero identities, which was needed, because there were too many Earthling Green Lanterns. It's interesting to me that these different colored ring wielders congregate together, but the Green Lanterns are the only ones that seem to have a mission statement. They police the universe. I don't know what the Star Sapphires do, or what their goal is, or how they go about achieving it.
    So says the guy who readily admits that he didn't read the majority of the past several years of Green Lantern comics.

The Indigo Tribe I guess just hangs out on a planet.
    Well, maybe if you actually read any of the Johns' Green Lantern, you'd know that the Indigo Tribe actually commits itself to "reforming" former cosmic criminals (murderers, thieves, etc.). The Indigo Light allows them to actually empathize with their former victims. Although, the methods are a bit questionable.

The Sinestro Corps had a purpose, which I guess was met, but I don't know what they're supposed to be doing now. Maybe the Sinestro title goes into this? Dunno', don't read it.
    It does.

I really hope "Godhead" cleans some of this stuff up, and I'm pretty confident it will. Green Lantern has a rich enough setting to where it shouldn't continually rely on different colored Lanterns fighting each other. That gets redundant VERY fast. That stuff went on waaaaaaay too long.
    Like Sizrechs already said, check the solicits

Amazing Member

I super love the concept, but yeah, I think their potential has been wasted by "war, War, WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" storylines so far.

What makes this interesting is that every writer could make every storyline with this whatever they want, and show so many great lessons to readers.

I think they need to chill out and step out of these war storylines for a while, and show the beautiful stories of each individual character. Remember the story about Red Lantern Judge? That story shows not just a rage, but also "the problem of corruption". Everyone have different kind of willpower, fear, rage, avarice, hope, love and compassion, and all of these stories are the part of the life. They could make infinite great stories by this, and we could learn something great from these stories.

And, seriously, all of these Lanterns are powered by "MIND", not physical strength, not innate super power or not great Intelligence, just their mind. If your mind is great, your power will become also great. That stuff is just gorgeous to me.

The few things that bugs me are the stories of the Black Lanterns. They say "No Lights/No Color (life and emotion) = Black, so Death = Black". To me, Black is also a color. Darkness has a color, It's not a "no color" thing. And Death is not that bad or cursed thing, I mean, we all die! And seriously, "resurrect people as Zombie" is definitely not the power of Death to me. So if I am the writer of the GL series, I will make Black Light as "The Spectrum of 'UNDEAD', the twisted, mixture of the lights and its colors".

Oh, and my favorite corps is Blue.
    Last edited by Pandaman; 10-21-2014 at 08:41 PM.

BANNED

There should only be one color , bring back to basics. Green.

Use those cheap red-blue ryan "3D" specs to view the pic. That's your color spectrum for ya.

I love the Emotional Spectrum concept. In fact, without it I am 75% less interested in Green Lantern. It is the sole reason for piquing my interest in the first place, and it keeps my interest going for as long as it's present. That said I think people overexaggerate when they say it's been overdone. The Emotional Spectrum's big hurrah was Sinestro Corps - Blackest Night. New Guardians/Brightest Day built off it, and War of the Green Lanterns also explored it, but GLC was largely emotional spectrum free during these periods. Rise of the Third Army was also completely devoid of the emotional spectrum, and don't even get me started on The Durlan War.

My favourite Lantern group is the Indigo Tribe, although Kyle's White Lantern is probably my favourite character with the most potential.

I don't know what the Star Sapphires do, or what their goal is, or how they go about achieving it.
    Pretty much the same as the GLC, just with love instead of will.

The Indigo Tribe I guess just hangs out on a planet.
    They reform criminals.

The Sinestro Corps had a purpose, which I guess was met, but I don't know what they're supposed to be doing now. Maybe the Sinestro title goes into this? Dunno', don't read it.
    It does. The Sinestro Corps now seeks out and protects Korugarians.

BANNED

Anyways the way i see it in power/skill:

White Lanterns>Blue Lanterns>Black Lanterns>Green>Indigo>Yellow>Violet>Red>Orange

My fav would be yep also Blue, heh, but White is actually Blue too depending of the user. Black Lanterns are more like a plot induced device. Orange in mi opinion has been the biggest deception its just so lame and no, I dont ever find Larfreeze funny nor interesting. Star Saphires and Sinestro Corps where mostly just expanded from what they originaly were. Indigo I actually like them thier purpose in fact make sense. And Reds are the lowest common denominator here, anyone could be red they just need to have a really bad day, I hope Guy comes back to be a Green Lantern, he was the best "Warrior" not nessesary a hero like Kyle, John or Hal, but he was the best warrior of the Green Lantern Corps.

White Lanterns are clearly the ultimate form of a Lantern, one could argue that all the other Lanterns/Emotional Spectrum are failed stages of a Lantern..

Life Lanterns its how should be call them, and if DC really want this concept to be popular should make a Young Justice style animated series or movies with this concept of a Lantern(s) going through all the training of the emotional spectrum/corps just like the way Kyle Rayner did it.
    Last edited by Vision; 10-22-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

That's a really good idea for a thread.

The Emotional Spectrum concept has been a major element in placing Green Lantern at the forefront of the DCU in the 21st century. There are currently 5 different Lantern titles available. That would have been unthinkable 10 years ago and one of the main reasons for this has been the enormous shot in the arm that the Spectrum has given the GL mythology. As an overall concept it's one of those ideas that makes you think 'How come no-one thought of this sooner?'. So simple but effective at the same time. It was awesome watching these ideas unfurl as the years went by. You kind of knew what was coming as Rebirth developed into The Sinestro Corps War and then again into Blackest Night and so on. It was blindingly obvious where these stories were heading, no element of surprise at all, but still great fun.

That said, there have been other posters that have pointed out that, so far, the concept has been used only for 'repetitive' war-type stories. They're right about that and the potential that the different Corps have for varied and intelligent story-telling ideas is enormous. It's whether the writers can do the concept justice.

Seriously, prior to Rebirth the entire GL franchise was in a right state. It's almost ridiculous the difference between the characters then and now. And still people whine.

That's a good question regarding strongest to weakest Corps because, potentially, the Blue Lantern Corps could be both.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 10-22-2014 at 03:28 AM.

People just love to whine, whether they want to admit it or not, the Emotional Spectrum its what turned Green Lantern into a Franchise, and there was never just one color, Carol was around for year shooting pink power at Hal so was Egghead Sinestro.

The emotional spectrum was a good concept that expanded the GL mythology, which you're able to explore other areas throughout the universe. Johns created other engaging characters when the colored spectrum was created. Thanks to the success of Johns run, there came other lantern books. I thought the concept was unique and interesting. It was different and gave a broader scope in the universe.

I don't think there's much you can do with other colored corps to make them better. DC already have red lanterns and Sinestro's title, new characters for both titles, they're featured in crossover events, made appearances in media and so on. DC are doing everything they can to make them more popular. I don't see what's more to do logically.

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    There should only be one color , bring back to basics. Green.

Use those cheap red-blue ryan "3D" specs to view the pic. That's your color spectrum for ya.
    Nice! That's a classic. I remembered when Kyle and Jade fought against Arthur Light in Kyle's power battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    People just love to whine, whether they want to admit it or not, the Emotional Spectrum its what turned Green Lantern into a Franchise, and there was never just one color, Carol was around for year shooting pink power at Hal so was Egghead Sinestro.
    The only minor problem I had with the emotional spectrum was just about every story and event was about the emotional spectrum for years. It was a bit repetitive. The only way to try to avoid it is to read Johns earlier runs along with other stories in GLC books. The stories about the colored corps was good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    The only minor problem I had with the emotional spectrum was just about every story and event was about the emotional spectrum for years. It was a bit repetitive. The only way to try to avoid it is to read Johns earlier runs along with other stories in GLC books. The stories about the colored corps was good nonetheless.
    I know what you mean actually which I thought when Vendetti took over he'd go a different route but instead he choose to continue use it and try to destroy it which pretty much turned away alot of GL readers.