Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default ARKHAM MANOR #1 Preview/Discussion

When catastrophe strikes Arkham Asylum, where will Gotham City house the world's most dangerous criminals, and when inmates are found murdered, what is Batman prepared to do in search of justice? Arkham's madness comes home in ARKHAM MANOR! A bold new series brought to you by the mad minds of Gerry Duggan (Deadpool, Nova) and Shawn Crystal (Deadpool, Wolverine and the X-Men).

Full article here.

----

This apparently takes place after Batman Eternal #30... well alright then. Guess we couldn't have pushed this book to next week or something when the book comes out since that would make too much sense.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Wow, the art looks impressive, I am in for the first issue let's see where this goes.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Too small to read the preview on my phone but that's a style of art that really clicks with me. A good Arkham story can be tons o fun and I like what I've read from Dugan on Deadpool. Should be good.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

This looks really cool. Can't wait to try it out.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Extraordinary Member

Looks interesting. Duggan can obviously do crazy and the art style looks like it will suit the tone as well.

Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Arkham Manor, #1

When catastrophe strikes Arkham Asylum, where will Gotham City house the world's most dangerous criminals, and when inmates are found murdered, what is Batman prepared to do in search of justice? Arkham's madness comes home in ARKHAM MANOR! A bold new series brought to you by the mad minds of Gerry Duggan (Deadpool, Nova) and Shawn Crystal (Deadpool, Wolverine and the X-Men).

Full article here.

Very sean murphyesqu art.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

As first issue's go this wasn't too bad, hopefully we get to see more of the inmates in the second issue. Art was great.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Dugan did a fine job on batman 34, so I'm confident he will do a good job here as well. I like the premise, and the art really fits the mood.

All-New Member

I really liked what Gerry Duggan did with his interlude on the main Batman comic. I really hope that carries over into this one. I'm excited to check it out.

Default Arkham Manor #1 Spoilers/Discussion

Not a bad set up issue that is for sure. Really love the emotional connections being made between Bruce and his past growing up in the Manor. Clearly the Manor was some sort of parental type of figure, something that watched over him maybe. I wrote a full review with a bunch of pictures here if anyone is interested.

Onto spoilers!
    spoilers:

The issue opens with back story of sorts, we learn Arkham has fallen, Bruce lost his family fortune and moved into the city and the mayor has decided, under some public distress, to move the inmates to Wayne Manor. Some workers show up at the manor and chip the sides of the W off to make an A and that's that.

Bruce tells us a few things: his dad would have opened his doors because the mentally ill need better treatment, he finds his emotional attachment to the manor a weakness and he once actually thought of creating a prison at the manor for the worst of the worst villains.

Bruce goes home and finds Alfred drinking some expensive Wayne liquor and realizes Alfred is upset and not very happy they moved at all. Bruce rushes to the manor as there's been a murder. He can't figure it out, so decides to assume the identity of a homeless person and infiltrate the manor as a prisoner. To be continued!
    end of spoilers

What did you guys think?

Clearly Duggan is going to be playing around with Bruce and his past in this series by plopping his enemies right there where he grew up.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Not a bad set up issue that is for sure. Really love the emotional connections being made between Bruce and his past growing up in the Manor. Clearly the Manor was some sort of parental type of figure, something that watched over him maybe. I wrote a full review with a bunch of pictures here if anyone is interested.

Onto spoilers!
    spoilers:

The issue opens with back story of sorts, we learn Arkham has fallen, Bruce lost his family fortune and moved into the city and the mayor has decided, under some public distress, to move the inmates to Wayne Manor. Some workers show up at the manor and chip the sides of the W off to make an A and that's that.

Bruce tells us a few things: his dad would have opened his doors because the mentally ill need better treatment, he finds his emotional attachment to the manor a weakness and he once actually thought of creating a prison at the manor for the worst of the worst villains.

Bruce goes home and finds Alfred drinking some expensive Wayne liquor and realizes Alfred is upset and not very happy they moved at all. Bruce rushes to the manor as there's been a murder. He can't figure it out, so decides to assume the identity of a homeless person and infiltrate the manor as a prisoner. To be continued!
    end of spoilers

What did you guys think?

Clearly Duggan is going to be playing around with Bruce and his past in this series by plopping his enemies right there where he grew up.
    Good review on your site. One thing I will point out is that they have played with the idea in Earth-2 that eventually Bruce starts keeping his worst villains in stasis chambers because the penal system/Arkham can't handle them. Obviously, I don't think that will be allowed to happen with the "real" Batman because it would bring up too many ethical questions, but the idea has been out there with a doppelganger Bruce Wayne

I liked the issue, but this is definitely a poor place to put Duggan, he deserves better than this.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Good review on your site. One thing I will point out is that they have played with the idea in Earth-2 that eventually Bruce starts keeping his worst villains in stasis chambers because the penal system/Arkham can't handle them. Obviously, I don't think that will be allowed to happen with the "real" Batman because it would bring up too many ethical questions, but the idea has been out there with a doppelganger Bruce Wayne
    Man that's so sad for him. Really changes the way he views crime fighting.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Seeing Wayne Manor, Batman's safe place and home being turned into essentially a new Arkham Asylum where psychos are gonna plan out their schemes and murder one another was surprisingly creepy and kind of heartbreaking to read. Out of all the new teams that started out this week, Duggan & Crystal definitely did their job the best out of the whole lot.