All-New Member

Default A Late/Last Multiversity:SoS Thread

OK, I just wanted to mention something I noticed that I haven't seen anywhere else. Mostly due to getting on the topic late. It may have been mentioned.

(I will say I read this book about 5 times. Not just because of Morrison's sticking in a lot of comic references, but because I though it was a darn good action tale and Sprouse rocks!))

When Savage is mocking the "scientific" things about "binary world" it is said that the two converge every centi-millennium. Faust says something like it meaning every 100 thousand years. This is not the proper meaning of the term at all.

Yes, a millennium is 1000 years. But, the proper term for 100 thousand years is hecto-millennium, with hecto- being the prefix for 10^2 or one hundred in the SI (Abbreviation for Le Systeme Internationale d'Unites) the officially adopted name for what mostly everyone calls the Metric System.

Centi- is the prefix meaning 10^-2 or 1/100th. That would make a centi-millennium only ten years, or the approximate time between COIE and Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time. Then between ZH to Infinite Crisis. Then Infinite Crisis to whatever happens next year.

Of course within each DC Crisis the characters generally believe their timeline existed from the beginning of time. Only the readers notice the 10 years in between.

A generalization of sorts, but I'm sure the use of centi- rather than hector- was not a mistake on Morrison's part.

I worked for NIST, the USA institute that does our highest levels of measurement or I wouldn't have caught this.

hsalf

Ummm.............yep.............

Astonishing Member

I'm gonna go ahead and agree.

Honestly, while recurring reference to past "Proper Crises" was noticed, this I overlooked as if it were nothing more than set-dressing. I think it's perfectly in keeping with the other Crisis references built into The Multiversity so far, though, and the nature of the beast. Therefore whether it's on purpose or not, it's perfect either way.

There's been happenstance in Morrison stories before, after all - the Pop Star teachers at St. Hadrian's in Batman, Incorporated bore more than a passing likeness to the Pop Criminal divas from the Poison Ivy origin story that also worked for Talia - Silken Spider, Tiger Moth and Dragonfly.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

All-New Member

I age that not everything is purposeful in any story. Morrison did try to drag some "real" physics into Final Crisis, whatever your take on real physics may be.

And, he is way more familiar with the metric system usage being from Britain. He would very well know a centimeter is not 100 meters.

I was going with the belief that COIE was the first "Proper Crisis". I have known the first Crisis was in the early JLA/JSA 1960's story since I first bought it at the newsstand when it came out.

Saying that, I feel like I'm having my own Crisis WITH Time. I was but a preteen then. Yikes. Anyone know Booster Gold's contact info?

hsalf

Quote Originally Posted by hsalf1901 View Post
    OK, I just wanted to mention something I noticed that I haven't seen anywhere else. Mostly due to getting on the topic late. It may have been mentioned.

(I will say I read this book about 5 times. Not just because of Morrison's sticking in a lot of comic references, but because I though it was a darn good action tale and Sprouse rocks!))

When Savage is mocking the "scientific" things about "binary world" it is said that the two converge every centi-millennium. Faust says something like it meaning every 100 thousand years. This is not the proper meaning of the term at all.

Yes, a millennium is 1000 years. But, the proper term for 100 thousand years is hecto-millennium, with hecto- being the prefix for 10^2 or one hundred in the SI (Abbreviation for Le Systeme Internationale d'Unites) the officially adopted name for what mostly everyone calls the Metric System.

Centi- is the prefix meaning 10^-2 or 1/100th. That would make a centi-millennium only ten years, or the approximate time between COIE and Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time. Then between ZH to Infinite Crisis. Then Infinite Crisis to whatever happens next year.

Of course within each DC Crisis the characters generally believe their timeline existed from the beginning of time. Only the readers notice the 10 years in between.

A generalization of sorts, but I'm sure the use of centi- rather than hector- was not a mistake on Morrison's part.

I worked for NIST, the USA institute that does our highest levels of measurement or I wouldn't have caught this.

hsalf
    A mistake on Morrison script. Happens to everyone, he is human. Thanks for the correction.
    But you always can explain ii in-universe by tellin than Savage is just an savage caveman brute who don't understand language.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin