Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It sounds to me like you're suggesting that I'm ok with a man raping a woman because she "led him on," which, I assure you is not the case.
    Actually, I explicitly stated that I wasn't attempting to make wider judgements about your personal values.

The idea that "leading someone on" is a concept that is inequitably applied to women - and is therefore a loaded phrase - doesn't rely on it always being in relation to rape. In fact acting as though it does can be a distraction tactic. I mention that the phrase is loaded, and you act like I'm accusing you of condoning rape. That's obviously an outrageous accusation considering your statements, and therefore discredits my position.

So let me reassure you that for all I strongly disagree with your interpretation of this story, and the implications of the way you chose to describe it, at no point did I think you were defending rape.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Perhaps she loves him like a brother...
    cersei and jaime lannister style probably lol

but seriously if she didn't want nothing with him, she wouldn't start a relationship with him. She could just dump him in the moment that she arrived on man's island. or feel busted because Zola catch her suggesting steve name

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    cersei and jaime lannister style probably lol

but seriously if she didn't want nothing with him, she wouldn't start a relationship with him. She could just dump him in the moment that she arrived on man's island. or feel busted because Zola catch her suggesting steve name
    Or maybe she clung to him because he was the only person she really knew, but that wasn't necessarily a romantic attachment...

BANNED

Attachment 11833

Yeah, that's a little sinister. I see it too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    She most likely wouldn't
    I'm glad you agree. It's odd and doesn't fit.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Just for comparison.

Attachment 11834

Arguably the downturned eyebrows give it that look. If it was just pure joy or whatever, the eyebrows would be more upturned.

".\ /." is naughty.
    "/. .\" is happy (well, it comes out worried here, but you get what I mean).

Bingo!

(10 Char)
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by toastedbread View Post
    Actually, I explicitly stated that I wasn't attempting to make wider judgements about your personal values.

The idea that "leading someone on" is a concept that is inequitably applied to women - and is therefore a loaded phrase - doesn't rely on it always being in relation to rape. In fact acting as though it does can be a distraction tactic. I mention that the phrase is loaded, and you act like I'm accusing you of condoning rape. That's obviously an outrageous accusation considering your statements, and therefore discredits my position.

So let me reassure you that for all I strongly disagree with your interpretation of this story, and the implications of the way you chose to describe it, at no point did I think you were defending rape.

I'm glad to hear that though I'm not sure why you would call the particular attention to the statement I used unless you were trying to discredit me along those lines but let's leave it as water under the bridge.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Really? What's the similarity? To me, she just looks excited.

Attachment 11833

Granted, her teeth are showing. Does this look sinister too?

You're right, the expression on Diana's face doesn't look like the one you posted above but it does kind of look like this one:

BANNED

Or maybe she clung to him because he was the only person she really knew, but that wasn't necessarily a romantic attachment...
    well she didn't need to stay with him, very soon she meet the JL that could help her establish on man's world.
    Steve would look very bad all these years if ww never wanted nothing with him, but it's not what is on the books

BANNED

All in all, I think Azz put a lot of "style" into this story and most of it should be pretty much ignored and only the basic factual bullet points taken to heart, which was that Diana had a desire to leave the island, Athena got involved and had Steve crash, and the crash led to Diana leaving the island.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    well she didn't need to stay with him, very soon she meet the JL that could help her establish on man's world.
    Steve would look very bad all these years if ww never wanted nothing with him, but it's not what is on the books
    I seem to recall everything we've heard about it coming from Steve's side, which might not be objective.

And again, I'm not arguing that Steve wasn't Diana's most favorite person in the whole world for that first year or more. Only that perhaps she didn't love him in 'that way'.

All in all, I think Azz put a lot of "style" into this story and most of it should be pretty much ignored and only the basic factual bullet points taken to heart, which was that Diana had a desire to leave the island, Athena got involved and had Steve crash, and the crash led to Diana leaving the island.

That's another issue I have with this story. It seems incomplete. We don't see how Diana is able to get herself and Steve to America. Steve's jet is damaged and the Amazon's don't have any tech even close to a plane so how could they know how to repair Steve's jet? Plus, we don't even see Diana's transition into Wonder Woman. Where's part 2?

BANNED

I seem to recall everything we've heard about it coming from Steve's side, which might not be objective.

And again, I'm not arguing that Steve wasn't Diana's most favorite person in the whole world for that first year or more. Only that perhaps she didn't love him in 'that way'.
    Steve is a experient man that know when a woman is into him. Not everything is told in his point of view. she went mad when he was kidnapped or I have to believe he was only her friend? in the ilusion on trinity war she is torn between rescue trevor or superman. In Argus she is into a very beautiful red dress, women don't get all done to get out with a guy that they don't care.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm glad to hear that though I'm not sure why you would call the particular attention to the statement I used unless you were trying to discredit me along those lines but let's leave it as water under the bridge.
    Like...the vast majority of my last post was explaining why I raised it and how your assumption about my intention was incorrect. I'm a little disheartened that you still seem to think that "those lines" (i.e. excusing rape?) are the only possible reason one could think the phrase has a gender-based double standard. It doesn't have to promote the view that it's okay to assault a woman to promote a view (intentionally on your part or not, so let's assume not) that's harmful or insulting.

But you're right, I don't think we're going to get any further with this.

So as a final observation, I'll note that I called out that phrase as one contributory example in a wider post about a wider pattern. I stand by it as relevant, but I feel the way the discussion has evolved makes it seem like the primary point I was trying to make, which is inaccurate. So, yeah. That.

Fun story
    Liked the art for this Silver Age sendup issue.

I think the only way this will ever get into a trade (unless it is part of a Secret Origins trade) is if D C decides to collect
    the whole Azzarello's Wonder Woman in a Omnibus.