Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Fun story
    Liked the art for this Silver Age sendup issue.

I think the only way this will ever get into a trade (unless it is part of a Secret Origins trade) is if D C decides to collect
    the whole Azzarello's Wonder Woman in a Omnibus.
    Uhh, I'm pretty sure this will be collected into the last trade of Azz's WW.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    I'm glad you agree. It's odd and doesn't fit.
    Odd in a good, funny way, for me. But to each their own.

=Dr. PoisonThat's another issue I have with this story. It seems incomplete. We don't see how Diana is able to get herself and Steve to America. Steve's jet is damaged and the Amazon's don't have any tech even close to a plane so how could they know how to repair Steve's jet? Plus, we don't even see Diana's transition into Wonder Woman. Where's part 2?
    I do wish it had been at least twice as long. I don't really care about their method of transportation, but I would have enjoyed more on Hippolyta and Zeus and on how Diana convinced her mother to let her be the one to bring Steve back where he was from. I would also have liked to know a little bit more about Diana's back story; like, why exactly does she feel she has to hide her true self Is it just because of being teased about "Clay," or is there more to it--for instance, did she ever lose control of "god mode"?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-22-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Uhh, I'm pretty sure this will be collected into the last trade of Azz's WW.
    Double checked and yes I stand corrected as both issue 0 and the first born 23.1 books have been collected as part of the
    Wonder Woman trades.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You're right, the expression on Diana's face doesn't look like the one you posted above but it does kind of look like this one:

Dr. Poison, have you been breathing the fumes in your Poison Lab again.

Seriously, I'm not seeing the "sinister" and I doubt it was intended, but it's interesting to know that others see it that way.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Odd in a good, funny way, for me. But to each their own.

I do wish it had been at least twice as long. I don't really care about their method of transportation, but I would have enjoyed more on Hippolyta and Zeus and on how Diana convinced her mother to let her be the one to bring Steve back where he was from. I would also have liked to know a little bit more about Diana's back story; like, why exactly does she feel she has to hide her true self Is it just because of being teased about "Clay," or is there more to it--for instance, did she ever lose control of "god mode"?

There is also the glaring omission of the contest. I kind of feel like this story was the subject of false advertising as Wonder Woman didn't appear in the tale at all. It was just about young Diana before she went to America.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

There is also the glaring omission of the contest. .
    I don't mind about the contest; I'm not sure it really fits with this continuity, in which there would probably be less interest among the Amazons in being the emissary to man's world

I kind of feel like this story was the subject of false advertising as Wonder Woman didn't appear in the tale at all. It was just about young Diana before she went to America
    It's an origin story, about events that led her to become Wonder Woman. It's the nature of such a story the most of those events happen before the person becomes the hero that she will be. In this case, all the events happen before anyone calls her Wonder Woman, but that doesn't stop it from being a story about how Diana became Wonder Woman--in other words, an origin story. There's more I would have liked, but false advertising? Nah.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-22-2014 at 02:57 PM.

It's a poetic style, not meant to explain everything. Actually, I was expecting it to end with Steve's aircraft in the air, thinking he wouldn't even appear explicitly. We received the hints that Diana would escape from the island, and we already knew from JL that they probably escaped. The end was left in the air to show us that we already know what happens next, even though the details can be filled if one wants to.

Goran Sudzuka sometimes do mistakes on the facial expressions (there are more on this very issue), so that's the explanation for the eyebrows, that aren't even that much off. I read it two times earlier today and never once I thought she was being manipulative (and I didn't even notice her eyebrows). Know why? Because she SAYS "can you believe it?". This is the direct indication she is excited.

Before that, there's the lines about her strenght, and the way she responds and expresses indicates a sarcastic tone that I view as an indication she is starting to like him.

We might know why Athena wanted Diana to become Wonder Woman in the next issue, but it's also easy to wonder why.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think the best thing to come out of this story was Athena. Out of all of the Olympians, I like her design the best.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The tumblr blog dedicated to praise Steve (I suspect it might belong to Brett ) seems to have enjoyed it

http://heckyeahstevetrevor.tumblr.co...g-steve-we-can

Astonishing Member

I think the best thing to come out of this story was Athena. Out of all of the Olympians, I like her design the best.
    I liked her too, and am glad it's confirmed that she played a key role in leading Diana to become Wonder Woman. I wonder if she'll have the same design if she shows up in 35 (and I do think she will show up). The Minotaur looked awfully different in #0 (the other time this retro style was used) vs. the regular issues, but maybe there'll be less change for Athena.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    The tumblr blog dedicated to praise Steve (I suspect it might belong to Brett ) seems to have enjoyed it

http://heckyeahstevetrevor.tumblr.co...g-steve-we-can
    it is not bret, it is a woman that i know

All-New Member

I think the fact that Hippolyta actually made a clay baby is also the beginning of a revelation. The more I think about, the more I suspect that the clay statue became not Diana, but Zola. Suppose this happened: Hippolyta got pregnant, as we learned in issue 3, and someone (probably Athena) removed the statue, ostensibly in order to help Hippolyta with a cover story. But Athena saw special potential in the statue because of how Hippolyta molded it in loving desire for a baby and because it was "blessed" by Hippolyta's and Zeus' moment of love. So, after a couple of years or so, Athena animated the statue, named her Zola (meaning "lump of earth") and gave her to a human couple to find her way in life among mortals. Meanwhile, Zeus realized that his child by Hippolyta had extraordinary power, even for one of his children, and he figured out that if had a son by Hippolyta's other "progeny," that son could have unique potential to defeat the First Born, upon his return, and maybe even to be transformed into Zeus' own new incarnation. So Zeus impregnated Zola and set this whole chain of events in motion....
    maybe the baby clay will be donna troy

Wow, so Zeus still didn't rape Hippolyta. How surprising. Or not.

Overall, I really liked this issue. It was very different from the usual Azzarello/Chiang stuff and I really missed Cliff Chiang's art, but overall I thought it was fun and it was a really cool throwback to the Silver Age, and I thought the art really reflected that.

I don't mind about the contest; I'm not sure it really fits with this continuity, in which there would probably be less interest among the Amazons in being the emissary to man's world

It's an origin story, about events that led her to become Wonder Woman. It's the nature of such a story the most of those events happen before the person becomes the hero that she will be. In this case, all the events happen before anyone calls her Wonder Woman, but that doesn't stop it from being a story about how Diana became Wonder Woman--in other words, an origin story. There's more I would have liked, but false advertising? Nah.
    This so much.

Plus, regarding the omission of the contest-- there was only so much they could fit in the issue, and it's clear they wanted to include the sparring match between Diana and Aleka for at least a few pages, and then the sequence with Athena coming to Diana at night. It could easily stand to reason that the next issue would include the contest, since that's usually how the origin story has gone-- Diana wants to leave Themyscira, Steve Trevor lands on the island, Diana finds him, the Amazons are skeptical but then decide he's no threat, someone needs to return him safely to the outside world, the contest ensues, Diana wins, Wonder Woman emerges.
    Last edited by quinnzel; 10-22-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender