• WICKED & DIVINE #5

1 2.94%
  • ZERO #11

4 11.76%
  • Others

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Oct 22/14 - Five Ghosts Returns, Starlight Ends

Last Week's Winner

One thing is for sure and that is we have some hardcore Image fans on this site. Good turnout last week despite Image only releasing 7 titles, the slowest week all year. Deadly Class remains strong picking up 10 votes once again leading the way. A much more exciting week today as we have some titles returning and a few titles ending. After a few months off the critically acclaimed pulp series Five Ghosts is back with part one of a brand new story arc "Monsters and Men". Fabian travels to eastern Europe for a brand new adventure! Sadface for me this week as Starlight comes to its epic conclusion in a double sized issue. Looking forward to see the Fonz get his beating. Stray Bullets Killers is also wrapping up its arc but will be back in January with a brand new series Sunshine and Roses. Some other Image favorites are back, Lazarus, Zero, Revival, Sheltered, Walking Dead and Elephantmen. Overall a very fun week for Image.

New This Week

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) Jacob Semahn (A/CA) Jorge Corona
    "WE ALL FALL DOWN," Part One
    From the colonization of Roanoke to the Cold War, the world famous Latimer Family has been humanity's lone defense against paranormal horrors for centuries...until tonight. A deadly assault on the lineage forces an unprepared brother and sister to solve their parents' murder while trying to escape the grim landscape of horrors that stalk the children themselves.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-22-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Lazarus had another great issue. I hope that it ends up leading to a Lazarus war where all the Lazari go rogue and work together to take down the families somewhere long down the road.

Zero had a very graphic page this month. It was a pretty good story, but the series doesn't leave much of an impression on me as I am having a hard time recalling what has occurred in prior issues.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

Lazarus is the only book I picked up this week but it was another great issue. Some plotting, down time, and more Lazari. I can't wait to see all 16 of them in the same place.

Incredible Member

I still have to read Five Ghosts, Lazarus, and Zero, but The Wicked and the Divine was actually quite good. I was anticipating dropping it after this issue because I was not a fan on the last few issues. But this issue brought me back in it's corner. I Would feel good voting for it if the other books fail to impress as much.

I went with Lazarus here, I still enjoy it just a smidge more than Sheltered.

All-New Member

Stray Bullets; What a Trainwreck of a story; I just wish he would leave that "Amy Racecar" stuff out of the series; I find that rather distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by horst View Post
    Stray Bullets; What a Trainwreck of a story; I just wish he would leave that "Amy Racecar" stuff out of the series; I find that rather distracting.
    heheh

I may be in the minority but I really loved the Amy Racecar story in issue 5, it was so absurd and had me chuckling LOL. I think I need that little break in between the series, like you said the story is a trainwreck and can scar you. Have yet to read the original series so my opinion on that might change but it was only one issue so far in this series. David Lapham is a freaking genius and I feel like I 'get' what he's doing here with Amy Racecar.

Really tough week voting for me, I'm going to read Stray Bullets last as I'm pretty sure it's getting my vote. I got Sheltered, Oddly Normal, Starlight, Five Ghosts and finally Stray Bullets. Really fun week of Image. Also happy to know Lazarus has a hardcover coming out. I'm reading that and Walking Dead in the omnibuses.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-23-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Interesting week for me and Image Comics and other Indie comics. Have a nice wide range of quality to crap this time around. From best to worse:

Sheltered #12
    Revival #24
    Lazarus #12 (didn't review this time, but my score would have been same as the one on the website)
    Oddly Normal #2
    Goners #1
    The Wicked + The Divine #5
    POP #3 (The actual writer commented on the review. That was awkward given the score)
    Drumhellar #10 (Last issue of the series as well I believe. Just kind petered out in the end)

So yeah, Sheltered was fantastic this week. I did really enjoy Revival and Lazarus, but I wish there was more going on in them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    heheh

I may be in the minority but I really loved the Amy Racecar story in issue 5, it was so absurd and had me chuckling LOL. I think I need that little break in between the series, like you said the story is a trainwreck and can scar you. Have yet to read the original series so my opinion on that might change but it was only one issue so far in this series. David Lapham is a freaking genius and I feel like I 'get' what he's doing here with Amy Racecar.

Really tough week voting for me, I'm going to read Stray Bullets last as I'm pretty sure it's getting my vote. I got Sheltered, Oddly Normal, Starlight, Five Ghosts and finally Stray Bullets. Really fun week of Image. Also happy to know Lazarus has a hardcover coming out. I'm reading that and Walking Dead in the omnibuses.
    Haven't yet made it up to the new series, but just finishing up the last one and Amy Racecar is far and away my favorite thread. Everytime we switch to Amy Racecar I get happy.

Tough choice between Lazarus and Goners this week. I picked Goners for the poll because it was a pretty good first issue and I'll stay with it for more. But this was also one of my favorite issues of Lazarus so far.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Haven't yet made it up to the new series, but just finishing up the last one and Amy Racecar is far and away my favorite thread. Everytime we switch to Amy Racecar I get happy.
    The Amy Racecar issue (Killers #5) had me legit belly laughing the entire time. It was so outrageously absurd that you can't help but laugh even though lots of bad things were happening LOL. I'll be looking forward to more Amy adventures in the future, makes me happy too.

I enjoyed when Amy issues showed up too. I think I'd like to go back and rereadable those issues from the original series together in a row.

Voting for Revival. This is one of those series I tend to just let pile up for a while and then binge my way through 6 issues or something. I find it much more enjoyable like this. It's ridiculously consistent, both in art as well as writing. It's a slowburner, but very meticulous and even though I always feel like not a whole lot happens per issue, by the end of every storyline they'll have completely flipped the script on you. Kinda wish we'd start to get some answers, but I'm enjoying the way it meanders and always finds new questions to ask.
    Won't spoil it yet, but pretty curious where things are headed right now. Sooooo yeah, Revival, great pre-Hallowe'en reading.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    POP #3 (The actual writer commented on the review. That was awkward given the score)
    Yeesh, well at least he doesn't seem too sour by it... I've not yet made my mind up about POP yet. Read the first two and there are elements which I really like, the art is up my alley too. Wish it was a little more adventurous, it's been very straight-forward so far. Was/still am kinda hoping they'll pull a surprise towards the end, but sounds like that's not happening in #3 then. Oh well, they can't all be masterpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    Tough choice between Lazarus and Goners this week. I picked Goners for the poll because it was a pretty good first issue and I'll stay with it for more. But this was also one of my favorite issues of Lazarus so far.
    How's the art on Goners? That's Jorge Corona, right? I'm eyeing his series Feathers over at Boom/Archaia in January, the covers give me a kind of Mignola-esque feeling, any truth in that?
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 10-23-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    How's the art on Goners? That's Jorge Corona, right? I'm eyeing his series Feathers over at Boom/Archaia in January, the covers give me a kind of Mignola-esque feeling, any truth in that?
    I really enjoyed it. It was one of the things that attracted me to the book from previews I'd seen. But it is very stylized (I guess a little Mignola-esque, not super familiar with his work), so it might not be for everyone. I felt it set the right and very specific tone for the story, though.
    Last edited by klynn; 10-23-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Ratings! From best to worst.

Stray Bullets Killers 10/10
    After 4 issues in I was pretty sure I've never enjoyed a comic more than this series. With issue 8 the conclusion to this arc, I can now say this is my favorite comic ever (no hyperbole). This is a magnificent series. That last page cliffhanger was a vicious knee to the nuts for me. I wished I had known about this series earlier, I would've never quit comics in the first place. Such an enjoyable read, it went by so fast I didn't even realize it was a 35 page monster. Absolutely outstanding.

Sheltered 9.5/10
    This would've been the comic of the week for me had it not been for the brilliance and emotional impact of Stray Bullets. Sheltered is one of those comics that is consistently good every month but this month it just went up a whole new level. The writing is excellent and Johnnie Christmas' art just seems to get better and better. The action really heats up this issue building to what should be a bloody and catastrophic finale. Really really good stuff.

Starlight 9.5/10
    An excellent finale wrapping up this delightful series. Seemed rather rushed to be honest but overall quality was high and left us with a satisfying end. Now on to Millar's next project.

Five Ghosts 9/10
    So glad this series is back. Fabian travels to a mysterious town that's ravaged by plague to look for his lost friend and ends up helping rescue a little boy attacked by monsters. Frank J. Barbiere is giving us a horror theme for this next arc. Started off strong, hopefully this series will catch on when the new TV series from Universal hits. A very interesting premise that's a lot of fun.

Oddly Normal 6/10
    Simply put, it was just not good at all. Frankly nothing happens in this issue. Oddly's eccentric aunt shows up after the events of the last issue and sends her away to the magical land of Fignation and that's pretty much it. We still don't know much about her aunt.
    We got a good glimpse of the world of Fignation and get to meet Lymon. Otis Frampton claims he has at least 75-100 issues of story to tell in this series. At the current pace of the first two issues I don't doubt this at all Nonetheless, the next few issues could be good. I'm in for a few more issues to see how this plays out, series has a lot of potential and could be fun.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-23-2014 at 06:05 PM.