Page 322 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 2222723123183193203213223233243253263323724228221322 ... LastLast
Results 4,816 to 4,830 of 21418

The Desert Issue is really something special. It all seemed to be constructed around the Heart. They showed how a life begun and one ended and the struggle for survival. But not only that they also pointed out the relationship between Bruce and Dick, how much people will give up to safe someone else (Helena when she made Dick promise to safe the baby) and that logic might not apply to everything (when Midnighter miscalculates) when feelings are involved.
    To me it had a greater impact than The Gun Goes Off and the newest chapter but they are certainly my favourite three so far.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    That desert issue was something special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    The Desert Issue is really something special.
    I agree it was. I think in regards to emotion and sentiment, it had more layers and depth than The Gun Goes Off. Reading both in back to back months, I thought they were both some of the best superhero comics I've ever read.

I think what makes The Gun Goes Off the top Grayson issue for me was its storytelling techniques - the view from The Old Gun's perspective, panel transitioning, etc - and how it played into the story and presentation. How the dialog was very self-aware in that it was full of repeated quips or references that were masterfully timed. The entire school shoot out scene sent chills down my spine, it was so well constructed and portrayed and impactful to me. I just think it was technically better, while still showing a lot of emotion and thoughtfulness reflected in Dick.

Really, those 2 issues and Pax Americana were close to all being tied for the best single DC issue of 2014, imo.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 07-26-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I agree it was. I think in regards to emotion and sentiment, it had more layers and depth than The Gun Goes Off. Reading both in back to back months, I thought they were both some of the best superhero comics I've ever read.

I think what makes The Gun Goes Off the top Grayson issue for me was its storytelling techniques - the view from The Old Gun's perspective, panel transitioning, etc - and how it played into the story and presentation. How the dialog was very self-aware in that it was full of repeated quips or references that were masterfully timed. The entire school shoot out scene sent chills down my spine, it was so well constructed and portrayed and impactful to me. I just think it was technically better, while still showing a lot of emotion and thoughtfulness reflected in Dick.

Really, those 2 issues and Pax Americana were close to all being tied for the best single DC issue of 2014, imo.
    I think the Futures End issue is up there too.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    I think the Futures End issue is up there too.
    That Futures End Issue was really something special. One of the best hands down.

Spectacular Member

Excluding the excellence that is the Futures End issue my favorite has to be issue #6. That chapter broke down what it means to be Dick Grayson. Highlighting the fact of no matter what costume or name, hero or spy, Dick Grayson is DICK GRAYSON!

The Gun Goes Off has to be my second, the moment where Tiger is calling Dicks name as he's panicking over the death of Agent 8 is almost heart wrenching.

The only issue I thought was really great was the desert issue. I liked how simple it was in its design along with the reasons others have already mentioned. I liked that they skipped over the whole "mission an issue" aspect of the series for it and it was about a battle of wills between Grayson and Midnighter. I mean Dick shouldn't be able to beat Midnighter in a normal fight because of his enhancements but I thought the idea of him beating him in a battle of endurance was clever.

The Gun Goes Off and the Desert issue are my two favs. I thought Old Gun falling in front of his kid was just delicious, it was just so surprisingly dark. It was an issue where ur like, "damn, things just got real". The Desert issue was just a lovely character issue. It was different and clever. The FE issue was a classic too.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-26-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Grayson is really something special. I agree about the desert issue being the best.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Yeah, 'Everyone Dies at Dawn' and 'The Gun Goes Off' are truly great issues. Every issue of Grayson has been amazing (I, for one, love the single mission issues and wish it stayed in that format for a good while), so it's really just a matter of personal preference.

Best Dick Grayson we've had in almost a decade.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

There are a lot to love about this book:

- Dick Grayson feels like Dick Grayson (which wasn't true imo, those last few years, save for when Morrison or Tomasi wrote him).
    - It does manage to use some interesting concepts from Morrison's run and develop them
    - It's a ton of fun, with crazy action, great dialogues and is visually stunning
    - it has its own and unique identity, and the attention to details makes it a great read
    - there is a sense of mystery, and the world building is incredible
    - I'm convinced it played an important part in the whole story over continuity mentality and the whole DC you

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

'Everyone Dies at Dawn' is probably my favorite issue of Grayson though I also really liked the FE issue and 'The Gun Goes Off'.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    There are a lot to love about this book:

- Dick Grayson feels like Dick Grayson (which wasn't true imo, those last few years, save for when Morrison or Tomasi wrote him).
    - It does manage to use some interesting concepts from Morrison's run and develop them
    - It's a ton of fun, with crazy action, great dialogues and is visually stunning
    - it has its own and unique identity, and the attention to details makes it a great read
    - there is a sense of mystery, and the world building is incredible
    - I'm convinced it played an important part in the whole story over continuity mentality and the whole DC you
    QFT. All of these are the reason why Grayson is my favorite title from DC and my favorite title overall.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Last edited by Styder24; 07-27-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

I've been waiting for that Batgirl Annual for a long time, I really like Bengal's style.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

Good book, no denying it.

But is anyone else tired of all the Dick's awesome buttocks comments? At first it seemed like an innocent joke, but even Bleeding Cool has begun to notice the trend of overusing this.

Also, now that Bruce is supposedly "dead". Does it make sense to anyone that Dick would stay in Spyral? Logic dictates he should go back to Gotham and take up the cowl, but noooooooo, Snyder and Capullo want to have some fun with their Gordon Mechabatman so Dick is just fine and dandy with that? Kind of goes against all his character's history doesn't it?

They better give a good explanation as to why Dick would be ok with the new status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Good book, no denying it.

But is anyone else tired of all the Dick's awesome buttocks comments? At first it seemed like an innocent joke, but even Bleeding Cool has begun to notice the trend of overusing this.

Also, now that Bruce is supposedly "dead". Does it make sense to anyone that Dick would stay in Spyral? Logic dictates he should go back to Gotham and take up the cowl, but noooooooo, Snyder and Capullo want to have some fun with their Gordon Mechabatman so Dick is just fine and dandy with that? Kind of goes against all his character's history doesn't it?

They better give a good explanation as to why Dick would be ok with the new status quo.

They really should stop with the buttocks comments. I see what they try to do with it but it's not working anymore. I actually liked references like Midnighters in #6 but they completely doomed it with #8 and constantly repeating themselves. This is honestly the big issue I have with the book.

I think what people are forgetting about the whole Dick undercover mission is that it might have been Batman's idea to send him there and that his mission might be over but Spyral is not. You don't just walk out of an espionage organisation and Spyral actually lured Dick into their web. They wanted him. They won’t let him go just because that’s his plan.