BANNED

Dick is most handsome one there is.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    They haven't done a variant month since the very start of Rebirth. Personally I think they were fun and added more interest in collecting certain issues. Did DC put them behind an order wall like Marvel do?
    Although it is not for all books I believe I saw some solicited dc november justice league variants for certain books.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    Although it is not for all books I believe I saw some solicited dc november justice league variants for certain books.
    Which ones?

Usually there's a regular artist on each title who does the variant covers, usually relating to something in that issue. I do like how you can identify the variant covers by the lack of the banner on the top naming the story arc. I suppose line-wide themes could be seen as a marketing strategy when sales in general are flagging (look at how often it was done in the late New 52/DC You period). Additionally these themes weren't done for all titles, probably decided by whether they were high profile or selling well enough to justify it (during the aforementioned period Green Lantern New Guardians only got one variant, the steampunk for #28 and Omega Men only had variants with the first three issues).

My favorite one was the movie poster variants in March 2015. Some of those would have sold pretty decently as actual posters. The adult coloring book ones were cool, a bit more interactive if you were so inclined. An actual collection of that might not have gone amiss, so people could color them in without coloring in the actual covers.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    They haven't done a variant month since the very start of Rebirth. Personally I think they were fun and added more interest in collecting certain issues. Did DC put them behind an order wall like Marvel do?
    No, DC dropped that practice completely now. It's part of their retailer/consumer friendly image they pushed when Rebirth started. Every issue gets a regular cover and a variant cover, but the latter doesn't require any extra orders or anything, which is great for retailers and consumers. Of course, they haven't stopped that kinda thing completely, I think HQ and ASB first issues, Metal issues, etc., did have incentive variants, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the Dark Matter initiative won't have incentive variants at all, and I doubt something Doomsday Clock would either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    No, DC dropped that practice completely now. It's part of their retailer/consumer friendly image they pushed when Rebirth started. Every issue gets a regular cover and a variant cover, but the latter doesn't require any extra orders or anything, which is great for retailers and consumers. Of course, they haven't stopped that kinda thing completely, I think HQ and ASB first issues, Metal issues, etc., did have incentive variants, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the Dark Matter initiative won't have incentive variants at all, and I doubt something Doomsday Clock would either.
    Frankly, with how much Marvel uses variants to jack up their sales or to give retailers more incentive to over-order, I can't say I begrudge DC for slowing down on them.

Mighty Member

So the annual is for Outlaws and I thought Dick was just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    So the annual is for Outlaws and I thought Dick was just fine.
    I loved literally all of it. Also, The Beast showing up in this was nice since this is basically the second time Dick's gone up against him in a special issue of sorts recently (Grayson: Futures End, I mean). I really like that Dick and Jason are basically awkward brothers who have come around to admitting to caring about each other but don't know where to go from there, it's cute and funny, too. I can already tell people are not only going to be shipping Dick and Artemis now, they'll be shipping Jason and Artemis even moreso, but I imagine it'll be the people who ship Dick and Jason who'll get the most mileage out of this issue, especially with those bedroom pages, lmao.

Good action, good art, good dialogue, good colours. All of it was good, imo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I loved literally all of it. Also, The Beast showing up in this was nice since this is basically the second time Dick's gone up against him in a special issue of sorts recently (Grayson: Futures End, I mean). I really like that Dick and Jason are basically awkward brothers who have come around to admitting to caring about each other but don't know where to go from there, it's cute and funny, too. I can already tell people are not only going to be shipping Dick and Artemis now, they'll be shipping Jason and Artemis even moreso, but I imagine it'll be the people who ship Dick and Jason who'll get the most mileage out of this issue, especially with those bedroom pages, lmao.

Good action, good art, good dialogue, good colours. All of it was good, imo.
    Agreed. That page with Jason's thoughts on Dick, Dick telling stories about Jason, and in the trailer were great moments to me.

BANNED

Jason admitting Dick at least tried (phone number, remember) nice touch. I also enjoyed Dick mentioning Jason was the harder worker.

Loedbell played the shipping fandoms like a puppet master. Artemis looks infatuated in Grayson but all they talk about is Jason and Jason looks a bit jealous of Artemis infatuation but the moment Bizarro likes a girl, all he cares about is to give the kid a proverbial push for his first kiss.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Jason admitting Dick at least tried (phone number, remember) nice touch. I also enjoyed Dick mentioning Jason was the harder worker.

Loedbell played the shipping fandoms like a puppet master. Artemis looks infatuated in Grayson but all they talk about is Jason and Jason looks a bit jealous of Artemis infatuation but the moment Bizarro likes a girl, all he cares about is to give the kid a proverbial push for his first kiss.
    And clearly the tension between Jason and Dick! Lol I'm sorry

Mighty Member

Nightwing #29 Var. by Casey Jones.

BOO!!! No Dick Snow and Night Freeze.

Mighty Member

Anyone else confused how Dick became Nightwing in the New52 Universe.

We know he became Nightwing after he made a deal with Deathstroke. But when the Teen Titans lost their memories, Dick was still Robin.

If Dick was Nightwing at that time, he will forget the deal with Deathstroke and his change to Nightwing. If he wasn't yet Nightwing at that time, he will forget his deal with Deathstroke and his change to Nightwing won't involve Deathstroke. All in all, it doesn't make sense his change to Nightwing involves Deathstroke, since they all lost their memories of the Teen Titans.

Thank you DC for our daily confusion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post

We know he became Nightwing after he made a deal with Deathstroke. But when the Teen Titans lost their memories, Dick was still Robin.

If Dick was Nightwing at that time, he will forget the deal with Deathstroke and his change to Nightwing. If he wasn't yet Nightwing at that time, he will forget his deal with Deathstroke and his change to Nightwing won't involve Deathstroke. All in all, it doesn't make sense his change to Nightwing involves Deathstroke, since they all lost their memories of the Teen Titans.

It's not worth our confusion--DC is just SLOPPY. They think about this stuff a LOT less than we do.

Actually, Dick was still with Slade and Rose even after their memories were erased. In one of the very first Deathstroke issues, Rose mentions she's trained with Dick and Slade, well, you know, he's Slade.

My theory is that Dick was still training Rose even after his memory was erased, but as he grew more and more distant from Bruce (maybe had a falling out because of it, since Bruce wouldn't know why Dick would want to train Rose so much since neither of the two would remember the TT), it probably took a conversation with Superman to cheer him up, and that led to him taking up the name Nightwing. I think he probably stopped training her sometime afterwards, went back to Gotham and met Jason as per the RHatO Annual, and eventually put on a real Nightwing suit (the New 52 rendition of the NTT era suit) before meeting Kory and (reuniting, technically) Roy. I imagine those adventures came to an end when Dick had to step up to become Batman and he had a falling out with Kory and Roy, and it took his "death," return, and Titans Hunt/Starfire's solo for them to make up.

Nightwing #29 Var. by Casey Jones.

BOO!!! No Dick Snow and Night Freeze.

I reacted the same way on Twitter, but it was quickly pointed out to me that because it's the variant here, Sejic's cover is probably the more true one, as that's the main cover, and well, Sejic's also drawing Suicide Squad #26 for the event, so it'd make sense that he'd draw something relevant to the story. I'm thinking the Dark Multiverse may have altered all of Gotham all at once, so Damian and Kory's designs on the Teen Titans #12 cover and Dick's Jon Snow look in #29 may actually be a result of that, idk, "wave of dark energy" or whatever.

Also, for anyone who is liking The New Order, there's this podcast episode that is basically all Higgins and all Nightwing, 17 minutes in and at least 16 minutes seconds of it has been Higgins speaking about New Order, with the others just asking very short questions, lol.
    Edit: I'm stupid, I didn't even link it, smh. Here: http://rangerdangerpodcast.com/podca...e-new-order-1/
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 08-30-2017 at 05:56 PM.

I forget, does New 52 Mr. Freeze have ice gauntlets? I thought that was only the version from The Batman cartoon.