Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That's likely because Nightwing is a part of Batman's world and somebody like Starfire doesn't fit there.
    So they can give us a boring city that adds almost nothing, but god forbid there is an Alien princess who shows up and makes life exciting. It's like they can't help but run to the safest and most boring options possible.

So they can give us a boring city that adds almost nothing, but god forbid there is an Alien princess who shows up and makes life exciting.
    Exactly, you cacth on quickly my friend .
    Althougth one can still dream.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    So they can give us a boring city that adds almost nothing, but god forbid there is an Alien princess who shows up and makes life exciting. It's like they can't help but run to the safest and most boring options possible.
    superpowers like her makes the world lto hard to write, Sups only visit Gotham briefly when ever he does for a reason

I tweeted Sam Humphries, I was worried that Dick wouldn't be doing any globe trotting anymore. His reply was "He's not chained to Blüdhaven but it is his home". Which is vague. That could just mean he heads back to Gotham for a weekend or to Manhattan to hang with the Titans. I also asked about Tiger and Midnighter. Which was ignored. I was worried about the change in writer anyway but his tweets have killed any modicum of enthusiasm I felt.

If definetly wasn't available during the last years or Pre-Flashpoint with the whole town being nuke and almost everything that was built there in ashes (and i doubt that DC would want to undo that all that soon with Infinite Crisis being what it was) Higgins never used it but he was a fan of Dixon's run and seemed to be building Chicago in a similar vein (why he didn't use Haven i wouldn't know), i don't know what Seely and King thougth about the place, but i doubt that they dislike it, they just were doing another type of book with the characther, i hear that Seely has to go to Bludhaven for editorial decisions, but they gave him complete creative control of it, they really only tried to build the place during the Dixon's days , but nuked it didn't fit Dick's problems either. At the end, i'm not really the biggest fan of the place (how Dick is written is far more important for me that wathever setting they put him it), but i don't think that the place is completly worthless, the new version of Blockbuster was quite interesting if you ask me, but of course that just boilds down to personal opinion, frankly i'm far more worried for Dick's voice in this run that anything else.
    They could have still used Bludhaven after the chemo nuke. Could have had stories about Dick trying to rebuilt it, but I understand that at that time DC planned to have Dick get killed off as well. So Bludhaven was kind of expendable since it was just a city readers knew of but there was nothing valuable in it. So it could be safely sacrificed for some shock value without losing anything. Then they later decided to have Dick become Batman and I can understand the argument for not using Bludhaven then as he had to be in Gotham.

I imagine that Higgins loves Bludhaven given how much he loves the Dixon run. I guess he couldn't use it in the New 52 as no one, even DC, knew what was going on with it given the continuity problems. Continuity is still kind of a mess in areas. Seeley is on record as not liking Bludhaven. At least old Bludhaven. He only agreed to write Rebirth Nightwing I think if he could redesign it away from the "more gritty Gotham" identity, but regardless if Seeley was going to write Nightwing Dick was going to be forced to go back to Bludhaven for Rebirth. I think that if given true freedom Seeley would have continued with Spyral and had Dick go on a lot more crazy globetrotting adventures and done more Morrison inspired stories. That seemed to be where Seeley's heart was.

Mighty Member

Exactly, you cacth on quickly my friend .
    Althougth one can still dream.
    Dreams just seem to lead to disspaointments

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    superpowers like her makes the world lto hard to write, Sups only visit Gotham briefly when ever he does for a reason
    Really? Dick needs something though. What separates him from all these other non-super powered dudes hanging out in cities. . I mean I guess your right since they can't even make normal characters interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Why does he need a city? If you want him to have a "home base" then there is Gotham, Haly's Circus, and the Titans Tower. All are places Dick has a much deeper and emotional connection with than Bludhaven.
    I don't want dick in gotham, that is bruce's house and I dont want dick living under daddy.I know dc wants bludhaven, all i hope for is for dick to start interacting with dc's premier heros and villains.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 10-24-2017 at 03:44 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I always felt the little domino masks were pretty much worthless for preserving a "secret identity."
    Simbolic convention my man.

And that Funko Red X is mine.

Yeah, like I've said before, I'm cool with Bludhaven as long as that's not the extent of Dick's reach. Before the New 52, he was one of the most important heroes around, both as Nightwing and as Batman, and that had little to do with Bludhaven and had a lot to do with his position in the DCU. Nightwing writers should be focused on giving the best stories they can, so if that involves Bludhaven, that's cool with me. It's Titans and other books like that which need to be elevating Dick again. So basically, even if we won't be getting globe-trotting stories not that Seeley is gone, I'm okay with it, but I just wish Dick was handling bigger enemies elsewhere as well. It was never the Nightwing book that was going to take him to Tamaran after all.

Also, again, there's no reason to be using Kory's powers as a reason for why she's not allowed to appear in the Nightwing book. Dick is as good as he is because he can stand on equal footing with the JLA without having powers, that's literally his thing (and Batman's, of course). Kory showing up shouldn't automatically solve the problem, because that would mean the threat wasn't big enough for Dick anyways. And that also gets into the fact that people really don't want to be writing detective stories for Nightwing or Batman anymore and all it'd take to solve the problem is super-strength, and that's boring on its own. Lastly, dating Kory wouldn't mean she'd need to be living with Dick and appearing in every story, they could easily just be living separately, lol.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I tweeted Sam Humphries, I was worried that Dick wouldn't be doing any globe trotting anymore. His reply was "He's not chained to Blüdhaven but it is his home". Which is vague. That could just mean he heads back to Gotham for a weekend or to Manhattan to hang with the Titans. I also asked about Tiger and Midnighter. Which was ignored. I was worried about the change in writer anyway but his tweets have killed any modicum of enthusiasm I felt.
    Midnighter hasn't been seen since the first rebirth issue, right? I miss the two interacting. And Midnighter being in any comic, since his miniseries ended. At least Tiger was seen a few times. I'd love for Midnighter, Tiger and Raptor to be characters that other writers use every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy_b View Post
    Midnighter hasn't been seen since the first rebirth issue, right? I miss the two interacting. And Midnighter being in any comic, since his miniseries ended. At least Tiger was seen a few times. I'd love for Midnighter, Tiger and Raptor to be characters that other writers use every now and again.
    You're right about Midnighter. Tiger made an appearance in the last issue of Batman and Raptor popped up in Deathstroke, he was fantastic in it.

Ever since the Reboot Dick hasn't been able to make much progress. He revamps Amusement Mile, destroyed a few issues later. Moves to Chicago, has a promising friendship with Jen, She's never mentioned again etc. We keep hearing things about how the Titans are the best of friends but they spend most of their time bickering. I liked him being a spy, it was a unique niche for him in the Batfamily. I've really enjoyed Seeleys run but it does fell like Dick is just treading water. I have a horrible feeling he's going to be fighting increasingly dull threats to Blüdhaven, with another endless side plot of will-they-won't-they with Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    You're right about Midnighter. Tiger made an appearance in the last issue of Batman and Raptor popped up in Deathstroke, he was fantastic in it.

Ever since the Reboot Dick hasn't been able to make much progress. He revamps Amusement Mile, destroyed a few issues later. Moves to Chicago, has a promising friendship with Jen, She's never mentioned again etc. We keep hearing things about how the Titans are the best of friends but they spend most of their time bickering. I liked him being a spy, it was a unique niche for him in the Batfamily. I've really enjoyed Seeleys run but it does fell like Dick is just treading water. I have a horrible feeling he's going to be fighting increasingly dull threats to Blüdhaven, with another endless side plot of will-they-won't-they with Batgirl.
    yep to all that. is fun that dick cant get starfire in his book because of batworld but sup's, wondy and GL can show up in batman all the time funny.

I swear if I hear one more person complain about Bludhaven. Dick had a lovely thing going with Spyral and Grayson but whiny fans put an end to that world now we're back to the same old finger strips and Bludhven and people still complain. Seeley tried to give us the best of both worlds. Something new but again fans still complained now seems Dick is about to go back in time where we were years ago. Hurrah for Nostalgia and character stagnation Boo new directions and brave new worlds.

We gave up Agent 37 and Spyral being too quickly.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I'd bet that DCs new commitment to Bludhaven is about their plans outside of comics.
    This is likely. It's a shame, because there are so many better things they could be adapting instead.
    Bludhaven can be tolerable in a brief 2 hour-ish runtime I guess if the film is good. But on an ongoing, monthly basis it is torture.

The bat office took a hold on Nightwing since the mid 90s and never let it go since then, it was doomed when the Titans franchise flopped and before Dixon started his run (hell that was the whole reason of why the marriage was aborted).
    Still the worst thing to ever happen to the Nightwing identity, and it's never really recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I think that if given true freedom Seeley would have continued with Spyral and had Dick go on a lot more crazy globetrotting adventures and done more Morrison inspired stories. That seemed to be where Seeley's heart was.
    His heart really was there. The fact that the globe trotting arcs, even if the subsequent ones were never as good as the first Raptor one, were the best is extremely telling. I like Shawn, but she could have worked just as well in Gotham for his occasional visits.

Seeley is a smart man when it comes to his inspirations. Why would DC lean more towards Dixon as opposed to Morrison?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I swear if I hear one more person complain about Bludhaven. Dick had a lovely thing going with Spyral and Grayson but whiny fans put an end to that world now we're back to the same old finger strips and Bludhven and people still complain. Seeley tried to give us the best of both worlds. Something new but again fans still complained now seems Dick is about to go back in time where we were years ago. Hurrah for Nostalgia and character stagnation Boo new directions and brave new worlds.

We gave up Agent 37 and Spyral being too quickly.
    I find it amusing how many complaints there are around these parts that DC's nostalgia for the Silver/Bronze age is stagnating their universe*, and then this nostalgia trip for the Dixon days is doing just that for one of their longest lasting characters. And it's worse because while the Silver Age had an explosion of enduring characters and concepts, nothing much of note came from the Bludhaven era.

*A complaint that makes even less sense when you realize there are countless characters and concepts running around today that weren't present in that period. I guess the mere presence of Barry, Hal, Babs as Batgirl and Kara is enough to make us travel back in time...