Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What?

No, Vinsanity said he had never seen Dick as an American character. I asked what he meant by that.

As far as I know Dick *is* American, unless there was a major retcon somewhere that I somehow missed. So Vin's statement confused me. If he's not American, what is he?
    I mean it's not that Dick seems Not American in any way just that I've never thought of him in terms of nationality. Maybe that's because I'm British.
    Because he's from the circus that also pushes him further away from American in my eyes.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Dick Grayson is a nice person. Is that what makes him un-American?
    Ooooh snap

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Burt Ward had brown hair, but that's about all I remember.
    So did O'Donnel and the new guy who was casted as Dick.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Flashpoint had Haly's Circus travel through Europe, it didn't require explanation or drastically change anything. Dick can be born anywhere.

If i remenber correctly, his family was English beforw the Romani retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Oh I meant it as he doesn't feel Americana. I know he's American.

LIke he doesn't feel American like baseball, apple pie, you know that stereotype stuff.
    Oh, okay. It makes sense now.

No, Nightwing doesnt inspire the Star Spangled Banner to run through my mind, or encourage me to buy war bonds either.

Nighwing has always felt...I dunno, "sleek neo-pulp" or something.....not sure what the right word is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

And his mother is from Paris now, so... It's not as if DC/a writer wouldn't have options.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I mean it's not that Dick seems Not American in any way just that I've never thought of him in terms of nationality. Maybe that's because I'm British.
    Because he's from the circus that also pushes him further away from American in my eyes.
    I never really gave his nationality any thought either. But then, most DC comics are based in the States, where I live, and most of their characters are American, as I am, so I just operate under a default assumption that they're Americans unless something sticks out to make me question it (or its otherwise stated to be the case of course)

EDIT: Now that people bring it up, I do like the idea of Dick being born somewhere in Europe before the circus comes to Gotham.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-07-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I never really gave his nationality any thought either. But then, most DC comics are based in the States, where I live, and most of their characters are American, as I am, so I just operate under a default assumption that they're Americans unless something sticks out to make me question it (or its otherwise stated to be the case of course)

EDIT: Now that people bring it up, I do like the idea of Dick being born somewhere in Europe before the circus comes to Gotham.
    I feel like if writers start messing with Dick's nationality it would start bringing in more possible politically charged stories and ideas into his book and I don't want that in my Dick Grayson stories. I have no problem with his family history being filled with different European backgrounds (English, Romani, French, etc) but I don't want this to become something that defines the character. Dick should be defined by his character, abilities, and actions and all the talk of race changing and nationality in recent times moves the discussion about what makes Dick awesome to Dick is only great if he fills out these bubbles for certain people.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Hi guys. Just checking up. Hope you all have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Long time @yohyoi hope youre having a nice day too

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Same to you yohyoi .

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I feel like if writers start messing with Dick's nationality it would start bringing in more possible politically charged stories and ideas into his book and I don't want that in my Dick Grayson stories. I have no problem with his family history being filled with different European backgrounds (English, Romani, French, etc) but I don't want this to become something that defines the character. Dick should be defined by his character, abilities, and actions and all the talk of race changing and nationality in recent times moves the discussion about what makes Dick awesome to Dick is only great if he fills out these bubbles for certain people.
    That's an excellent point. I was just thinking it'd be an interesting and appropriate (given the nomadic nature of circus folk) little detail added into Dick's backstory (he'd still have spent the vast majority of his life in the States so it wouldn't have an impact on who he is) but you're absolutely right; in this day and age it'd be the only thing they'd focus on and they'd ruin it.

~ Black Panther.

Ya well, I hope you all have a horrible day

Whoa, this conversation is kinda weird. Dick is American because he's been an American citizen for at least 6 years according to the New 52 timeline, and if the Rebirth timeline is different (i.e. Dick started as Robin when he was 13), than it's been for even longer. In Seeley's run, it was said Mary is the French immigrant who fell in love with Grayson who was American. So regardless of where Dick was born, he's obviously spent a significant period of his lifetime in the US.

I guess I referred to him as super American because I see him as one. I'm Canadian myself, so I guess I just see a bigger divide between what it means to "be like me" and be American and tacked that onto Dick, lol. I only realized right now that I have no idea what "super American" means.