Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Anyone else hate the Red Nightwing? Discowing > RedWing

Also, we have moved past that DC. I would rather have a Rebirth Nightwing action figure.
    I don't hate it, but I think blue suits him better. And red is already several Batfamily members' color right now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Second.
    Dick was in two of the Arkham Games and was a main fighter in one injustice game.
    Jason was in one of the Arkham Games and was demanded for and became dlc in one injustice game.
    I the main reason why Dick isn't in Injustice 2 is that they decided to give Damian his spot. Appart from this Dick had also plenty of appaernces in animated Movies in the last years like Lego Batman, several of the movies in the animated continuity and the Batman Unlimited movies.

Yes, also yes to the preference for Discowing*
    Discowing costume for the win

You all crazy for liking that fashion disaster and I'm not even gonna talk about how impracticall it looked lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    You all crazy for liking that fashion disaster and I'm not even gonna talk about how impracticall it looked lmfao
    it was sexy and paired well with Starfire, it was plenty "practical," lmao.

I didn't mind the duller red used in Chicago, it worked with the finger-stripes. I generally dislike the original design because it doesn't look like Nightwing or even a superhero, it's like a super-villain if anything. So it's not red in general that I dislike, I just dislike most iterations of red Nightwing (again, Chicagowing was cool, and it's the general evil-ness that makes me love the redesigned Deathwing), including this Arkham Knight statue. As far as other colours go, I wish there was someway we could bring back the gold/yellow from the older designs to the current costume to pay homage to them (well mostly the Discowing one), but it'd never fit.

And since I'm still on this topic, can I also say I'm not a fan of TNBA Nightwing? A simple and direct design like that works great for animation and for young fans to draw and all that, but I'd never buy a statue of that (I understand if others do of course, not dissing them for wanting to). And I'm using simple and direct to be respectful, but honestly it's just bland. Like, Rebirth Nightwing is simple and direct. That design is just super plain. Kinda sad we'll most likely never get like a Young Justice Nightwing statue but we'll be getting TNBA Nightwing ones for years to come, at least that's how I feel.
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 11-15-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    it was sexy and paired well with Starfire, it was plenty "practical," lmao.
    "Paired well" because he could pretend that with high collar he is as tall as Starfire?

All-New Member

can i ask a question?
    why do you like Dick Grayson?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Uh, no?

First, a hint in BVS? There is currently an entire movie being planned for 'Nightwing' a SOLO movie, is that really comparable to a fan easter egg where the name 'Jason' hasnt even been dropped. PLUS the fact that a Titans TV show where Dick is the lead is in production.

Second.
    Dick was in two of the Arkham Games and was a main fighter in one injustice game.
    Jason was in one of the Arkham Games and was demanded for and became dlc in one injustice game.

Your own comparisons still give Dick technically 'more promotion'.

The only reason why people seemed to feel that Jason gets 'way more promotion' is that the public latched on to the character, thats it, thats why he is 'highly visable'. Theres hasn't been excessive media featuring him, or pushing him, people just liked either the character or the image of the character is all, especially when he stands in opposition or at least not completely under Batmans rule.

I still think Dicks problem is remaining at the hip of Batman, marketability wise. Weird as it is, remaining as a good ally gets him stuck under the shadow of Bats and gives the impression that he is simply an extension of Batmans world rather than his own character. Though I have hope the Titans live action show may help to represent Dick to older audiences in the same way that young audiences gained an appreciation for the character through the Teen Titans animated show. It can also help to detach him from Batman and display why and how he is a hero in his own right and not as just a sidekick.
    Yes I'm yet to see any hints if the Nightwing movie but the worlds has had that Jason EE for 2 years now speculated over. That's a 2 year head start
    For a character like Nightwing for a character that sells more than most members of the league. Yes For a character with his history and contribution Yes. For a character they lean on so much to carry things. Yes
    Not only were they late to the promoting Nightwing game they squandered options by having him as Robin in outside media for so long.

Yes both were in Arkham games but the Arkham Knight tag goes to Jason and that was the lead.
    UTRH was a great movie spotlighting Jason where's Nightwing's movie?

That movie and the Arkham game are more and better promotion than any family outside of Bruce has had.

The problem is that DC lacks consistency across media. Outside Jason who caught the public's eye isn't the dude in the comics and Dick Grayson who is beloved by the world as Robin is Nightwing in the comics. Nightwing who sells issues more than some leaguers is mostly unknown out of comics.

Jason aside from Bruce has had the best PR thought and care was put into UTRH no one else has had that.

DC should put out a Grayson series. Animated like Archer. It's different it's new it's fresh.

Dick does suffer from Batman's shadow because DC keeps him there
    don't do enough to build his world away from Batman
    None of them can ever really do that even Jason for all his "Outlaw not under Batman's rule "wears a huge freaking bat across his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Yes I'm yet to see any hints if the Nightwing movie but the worlds has had that Jason EE for 2 years now speculated over. That's a 2 year head start
    For a character like Nightwing for a character that sells more than most members of the league. Yes For a character with his history and contribution Yes. For a character they lean on so much to carry things. Yes
    Not only were they late to the promoting Nightwing game they squandered options by having him as Robin in outside media for so long.
    You realise you are still talking about the public discussing a character, which is what I was explaining. The public latched onto Jason, but that doesnt mean he has received extensive promotion from DC. Promotion is a term from advertising, companies promote, not people. Thats not to say fan support doesnt help, of course it does, I believe its one of the strongest and most desirable types of support for a series/show/character etc especially with how accessible social media and creative media platforms are now. But thats a different thing to promotion, which is what you were claiming.

Second you speak as if I said Dick SHOULDN'T receive any promotion from DC, as if I'm unaware that they as a company definitely lean on the characters popularity to sell products. I said no such thing. I was simply correcting your claims that Jason was promoted more highly. He isn't, again, promotion is marketing, its the public who speak of him, who have found some kind of niche or attachment not DC as much, tis why I was throwing suggestions out for why Dick has had a harder time finding that platform for public attention to be drawn to his character.

Yes both were in Arkham games but the Arkham Knight tag goes to Jason and that was the lead.
    UTRH was a great movie spotlighting Jason where's Nightwing's movie?

That movie and the Arkham game are more and better promotion than any family outside of Bruce has had.

Jason was an antagonist in Arkham Knight, not the lead.
    Nightwing has yet to receive a solo movie, and neither has Jason.
    Remember again, he was the antagonist in UTRH too, not the lead, he doesnt appear in the UTRH movie as much as Bruce does. So if neither have received solo film ventures then it would come down to appearances in animated features, which, 'shockingly' means, that Dick still has been featured in many more animated films and shows than Jason has. High numbers of appearances can help but ultimately they are not that important, I mentioned this before but quality is important here, Dick can appear in 100 different things and it wont make a lick of difference if the audience dont care for the piece of media in general. Teen Titans was a fantastic way of introducing Dick to young audiences, I have no doubt that there are young fans who found out about Dick and the titans and comics in general through the show. All Dick needs is one (or a few) well executed pieces of media, a show or film, that is clearly orientated to more mature audiences, teens and adults alike (unlike TT which was child orientated). Jason has not had many appearances or 'promotions', but the few he has had were either successful or targeted ages teen and up due to the dark nature of his most popular story.

The problem is that DC lacks consistency across media. Outside Jason who caught the public's eye isn't the dude in the comics and Dick Grayson who is beloved by the world as Robin is Nightwing in the comics. Nightwing who sells issues more than some leaguers is mostly unknown out of comics.

Jason aside from Bruce has had the best PR thought and care was put into UTRH no one else has had that.
    DC are stupid when it comes to how they advertise their content no doubt, but sometimes it does come down to dumb luck. The right people, working on the right projects aimed at the right audience.

I have no clue what you mean by 'PR thought put into UTRH'. PR refers to how information is spread. Are you implying LESS THOUGHT in information and advertising has been put into previous or the most recent dc films? I can assure you DC don't favoritise Jason or hell, most characters in THAT aspect. Back in 2010 there was no reason to put 'great thought' into a character which no one knew what to do with and was supposed to be killed off again and only kept around from fan demand. If DC are making a film they just make the damn thing, try to find the right people with the right ideas, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The stars just aligned for UTRH, it was fortune found in the hands of capable creators, not any special 'thought or care' that isn't already placed into any other feature. Hell if anything, the more recent Killing Joke film probably had more care placed on its PR and marketing considering it actually got to open in theaters rather than being a usual direct to dvd film. But gee wizz look at the dud that turned out to be. Pushing a film can only take you so far, again, quality is the key.
    Last edited by RedBird; 11-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Penguin View Post
    can i ask a question?
    As the first and most iconic Robin, Dick Grayson's growth from childhood to adulthood presents something that we rarely get to see in superhero comics: lasting change and development, all of which played out in the 1970's and 80's. His appearance as Batman's sidekick opened the door for many other youth heroes and perhaps the concept of generations of superheroes. His growth from sidekick to solo hero is the ultimate coming of age story. The tale of "Robin grows up" is a story too obvious not to be told.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Mighty Member

Dick was in Lego Batman, Teen Titans and Harley Quinn movies this year. Jason isn't really well known outside one movie and the games community.

He may not star in these, but he is still one of DC's most promoted heroes; more than Aquaman and Green Lantern. People like him and they buy the products. We just need to wait because DC has plans for him. As Raptor says, "You build up the brand" or something like that.

Dick will star in two series next year. Damian has more on-screen appearances than Jason. Damian was actually in Injustice 2 (the little brat), not just a DLC.

can i ask a question?
    Cause he is a complicated character.
    One who is sometimes full of 'contradictions' that only strengthen him and make him more well rounded as a character.
    He is often seen as the 'nice one', but I think he is just more well balanced. Like yeah, he is friendly and jokey with people but when sh#t goes down he knows when to be the stern leader who places his job ahead of it all. He can be preachy about his views, but he is also supportive and believes in the best of people. Whilst he is kind to people and often place others first, he can also be stubborn as a mule and can also completely cut the empathy right outta himself if he is pushed too far. He is seen as so nice by everyone, has a fantastic relationship with so many heroes and is one of the most entrusted allies in the DCU for his strong morals, compassion and all round good nature, but he can absolutely also throw those connections aside and alienate those around him with his anger and at times refusal to compromise.

He is a fantastic hero with interesting traits and engaging flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    As the first and most iconic Robin, Dick Grayson's growth from childhood to adulthood presents something that we rarely get to see in superhero comics: lasting change and development, all of which played out in the 1970's and 80's. His appearance as Batman's sidekick opened the door for many other youth heroes and perhaps the concept of generations of superheroes. His growth from sidekick to solo hero is the ultimate coming of age story. The tale of "Robin grows up" is a story too obvious not to be told.
    Gosh yes, how could I not mention that in my post.
    My favourite development for Dick occured throughout the 70s and 80s, those appearences are what made me love him.

Mighty Member

can i ask a question?
    Dick is a pioneer and outlier in comics.

He was the first teenage sidekick. He led the first teenage superhero team. He was one of the first who outgrew his past hero identity. He was the first to show premarital sex in comics (Holy fornication, Batman! Why did I bold this!). He was the first to don the Batman cowl after Bruce. He has been a success for the nearly eight decades he has existed. Nightwing has a very sexy butt. He is also the hottest comics character of all time (Take that Gambit and your stupid accent!). But most importantly his name is DICK; hahaha! that's hilarious.