Quote Originally Posted by Onthetrapeze View Post
    True. We all know Dick is a smart and competent hero but when it comes to Nightwing things always go south. I can't believe I am paying 5.98 dollars per month to see how my beloved hero got beaten again and again. In every arc he was an underdog who only turned the tables at the end of story so the book could go on. He was saved by Raptor, Damian,Shawn, even Blockbuster...in his OWN Book. It seems like DC still had no idea what made Grayson such a well-acclaimed book but knew Dick's popularity so when rebirth came they chose to play safe with Nightwing. I am not against the idea of Bludhaven, not every hero has his own city; but I do think DC should change the tone of this book.Dixon's era was finished and it would never come back. After that Dick had experienced great character growth: he wore the batman suit, had his own robin, and undercoverd as a James Bond-ish agent. People like dickbat and Agent 37. Of course they felt disappointed when the Nightwing book only focused on building the city and its villains and made Dick look like a freshman. Where is the light-hearted, confident Dick Grayson? Where are these friends and enemies he met during his global trotting?You can't simlpy cut that out of Nightwing.
    Dick has so much potential. The rebirth issue of Nightwing sold over 140k copies; Now the latest number is less than 30k. If DC was keen on Bludhaven because Nightwing sold better than Grayson, it is time to consider adjust the direction of the book. I sincerely hope the new team could help Dick out of current dilemma.
    Honestly I'm still disappointed we never got King and Seeley to finish Grayson on their own, they obviously had more stories to tell. Anyway comic sales are down again and I think only 7 DC comics are selling above 30k but it happens all the time it's nothing new. I do wonder how DC plans to increase the sales because otherwise almost all books will fall under 20k sooner than or later. However Dick is still in a favourable postition I mean he can sell an ongoing series no matter what name is used but Nightwing is a well known superhero and an important part of the Batman Family so DC can't waste the name but like you have pointed out his most popular and well received stories are as Batman and Agent 37. Also the Vol 1. of Nightwing Rebirth sold very well, smth like 11k by now (based on reports from Diamond Comic Distributors). Seeley's run started very strong but I can't blame him for anything after that. It doesn't seem like Blüdhaven was his idea and I wonder what other stories we could have gotten from him if he wasn't forced to bring the city back. I mean he did more with the city than most wrters before him so I really hope the new team won't just erase everything he has build but I haven't read the new arc yet so I can't say anything about it.

Anyway it feels like everytime Dick moves on to smth bigger (Batman or Agent 37) he moves 5 steps back. Nightwing is still fun to read but it is rather frustrating sometimes. It is also annoying to see Dick acting like a child in Titans like seriously Dick has nothing to prove anymore, he is a capable and grown up hero. It's like the only story writers nowadays can tell about Batman and Dick involves Dick struggling to step out of Batman's shadow. I just wonder why Nighwting can't be written the same way as Grayson and Batman, he is still the same character. Anyway I look forward to see what the new team will bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthetrapeze View Post
    True. We all know Dick is a smart and competent hero but when it comes to Nightwing things always go south. I can't believe I am paying 5.98 dollars per month to see how my beloved hero got beaten again and again. In every arc he was an underdog who only turned the tables at the end of story so the book could go on. He was saved by Raptor, Damian,Shawn, even Blockbuster...in his OWN Book. It seems like DC still had no idea what made Grayson such a well-acclaimed book but knew Dick's popularity so when rebirth came they chose to play safe with Nightwing. I am not against the idea of Bludhaven, not every hero has his own city; but I do think DC should change the tone of this book.Dixon's era was finished and it would never come back. After that Dick had experienced great character growth: he wore the batman suit, had his own robin, and undercoverd as a James Bond-ish agent. People like dickbat and Agent 37. Of course they felt disappointed when the Nightwing book only focused on building the city and its villains and made Dick look like a freshman. Where is the light-hearted, confident Dick Grayson? Where are these friends and enemies he met during his global trotting?You can't simlpy cut that out of Nightwing.
    Dick has so much potential. The rebirth issue of Nightwing sold over 140k copies; Now the latest number is less than 30k. If DC was keen on Bludhaven because Nightwing sold better than Grayson, it is time to consider adjust the direction of the book. I sincerely hope the new team could help Dick out of current dilemma.
    It's definitely past due for DC to step up their game with Nightwing. I've liked the art and story (so far) of the current arc, but I'm still hoping we get some globetrotting out of Nightwing again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Honestly I'm still disappointed we never got King and Seeley to finish Grayson on their own, they obviously had more stories to tell. Anyway comic sales are down again and I think only 7 DC comics are selling above 30k but it happens all the time it's nothing new. I do wonder how DC plans to increase the sales because otherwise almost all books will fall under 20k sooner than or later. However Dick is still in a favourable postition I mean he can sell an ongoing series no matter what name is used but Nightwing is a well known superhero and an important part of the Batman Family so DC can't waste the name but like you have pointed out his most popular and well received stories are as Batman and Agent 37. Also the Vol 1. of Nightwing Rebirth sold very well, smth like 11k by now (based on reports from Diamond Comic Distributors). Seeley's run started very strong but I can't blame him for anything after that. It doesn't seem like Blüdhaven was his idea and I wonder what other stories we could have gotten from him if he wasn't forced to bring the city back. I mean he did more with the city than most wrters before him so I really hope the new team won't just erase everything he has build but I haven't read the new arc yet so I can't say anything about it.

Anyway it feels like everytime Dick moves on to smth bigger (Batman or Agent 37) he moves 5 steps back. Nightwing is still fun to read but it is rather frustrating sometimes. It is also annoying to see Dick acting like a child in Titans like seriously Dick has nothing to prove anymore, he is a capable and grown up hero. It's like the only story writers nowadays can tell about Batman and Dick involves Dick struggling to step out of Batman's shadow. I just wonder why Nighwting can't be written the same way as Grayson and Batman, he is still the same character. Anyway I look forward to see what the new team will bring to the table.
    He could never stay Agent 37, nightwing was always coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Never said otherwise but he could have stayed Agent 37 for longer. We got lucky to get Grayson anyway. Who knows when Dick will get such a good creative team again.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    Is this from Young Justice? I really hope they learned from season 2 and have the OG's as the main focus

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Is this from Young Justice? I really hope they learned from season 2 and have the OG's as the main focus
    considering all of TIMs new friends i doubt it

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

considering all of TIMs new friends i doubt it
    Ahh season 2 was just inferior. I know everyone is now demanding that more people be showcased but it's important to remember where the magic started. What won over viewers in the 1st place.
    We started the journey with the 7. We are invested. It's unfair to lose them in the crowd.

BANNED

Of course Nightwing was always going to come back. But couldn't he have brought a few brain cells with him from the other role? IMHO, one of the big problems is the return of the first-person POV--it allows too much time to make mischief in his skull. Would DC encourage this kind of treatment for one of their "Holy Trinity"? NO WAY !!!!!! Would even the latest Green Lanterns, whoever they are these days, be subjected to such character assassination? The hatred toward Dick coming from DC administration and trickling down into the creative ranks encourages writers to endlessly drag Dick Grayson through a never-ending cycle of failures and self-recriminations. No other character but Dick Grayson could hold onto reasonable sales in spite if this treatment. Yet, DC never asks itself why there are such utterly hardcore fans and how could they make even more of them? If such a successful character was named anything but Dick Grayson, it would have its own line of books by now.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Of course Nightwing was always going to come back. But couldn't he have brought a few brain cells with him from the other role?
    quote of the day lol

Extraordinary Member

Ahh season 2 was just inferior. I know everyone is now demanding that more people be showcased but it's important to remember where the magic started. What won over viewers in the 1st place.
    We started the journey with the 7. We are invested. It's unfair to lose them in the crowd.
    I agree, but I guess they wanted to expand
    I oped for Donna and got Cassie

Yep, I began losing interest very quickly when there was so little Nightwing to enjoy (along with Wally, Artemis, etc.).

Spectacular Member

The problem with Nightwing is that it always feels like a demotion when he comes back to the mantle. It’s loke everything he acquires from the role is wiped from memory and he continues like he’s a scrub. I remember in the first issue of Seeley’s run Batman refereed to him as a “one man strike force” not needing any approval. I’d love to see that, Dick could have kept the globe trotting and be Nightwing, but nostalgiaists begged for bludhaven

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderWing20 View Post
    The problem with Nightwing is that it always feels like a demotion when he comes back to the mantle. It’s loke everything he acquires from the role is wiped from memory and he continues like he’s a scrub. I remember in the first issue of Seeley’s run Batman refereed to him as a “one man strike force” not needing any approval. I’d love to see that, Dick could have kept the globe trotting and be Nightwing, but nostalgiaists begged for bludhaven
    Yeah, and for a character who is lauded as a symbol of the growth that can be seen in comics history, the fact that he's stagnating is frustrating to say the least. Why hasn't anyone written a story (with meta elements if you like) that addresses that?