BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they can bring Devin Grayson back to the Titans .
    Where's my nausea pills?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    She did pretty good stuff. I know Nightwing fans instantly jump to all that Tarantula and Blackbuster nonsense, but that's not the only thing she's written...

Also, Scott Snyder just mentioned that the Titans are involved in No Justice, but of course they're nowhere to be seen in the promo artwork. So I'm just gonna go ahead and predict that Kory, Raven, and Gar are joining a revamped Titans team with Dick that spins out of the event like Snyder's implying.
    Seems likely - and pretty much confirms a new creative team. Fortunately!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Seems likely - and pretty much confirms a new creative team. Fortunately!
    I don't even know who I want to write the Titans. First, DC needs to give them a specific purpose of being there and the future of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    I don't even know who I want to write the Titans. First, DC needs to give them a specific purpose of being there and the future of the DCU.
    I don't think anyone would be complaining about the team's purpose among all the other Superheroes around if the writing, characterization, dynamics, and plots were much stronger then they are now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, Devin Grayson did a few solid things with her Titans run but I remember it mostly being the same kind of "we're a team because childhood friendship! Smiles! Hugs! Melodrama! Let's fight old villains from the glory days over and over!" I mean, at least she included new members like Argent and Damage (a personal favorite of mine) but it didn't blow me away at all.

I loved it at certain parts, but I think it really fell into the same nostalgia-infested trap other reunion titles have fallen into since. There's just no real reason for these people to still be working together. I mean, I still talk to a couple friends from high school, but I dont take them to work with me! We hang out on weekends.
    I read the Technis Imperitive at one point and thought it was ok. But yeah it was filled to the brim with that lovey dovey stuff. Some of it was well written but I can't imagine reading a whole run of it.

I've seen some claim it's better than the NTT run but I don't think I would agree. A casual glance at the covers alone just makes it seen like standard fare from that period. And nothing enduring came from it (they fought some dude named Goth apparently, who looks...awful).

Its a shame we never got a full NTT crew reunion that wasn't written by Judd Winick. The same problems would still probably exist, just to a lesser degree. Its a more marketable team and still has Dick and Wally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I read the Technis Imperitive at one point and thought it was ok. But yeah it was filled to the brim with that lovey dovey stuff. Some of it was well written but I can't imagine reading a whole run of it.

I've seen some claim it's better than the NTT run but I don't think I would agree.
    Same here. Whatever they're smoking, I want some of it.

Amazing Member

I've seen some claim it's better than the NTT run but I don't think I would agree. A casual glance at the covers alone just makes it seen like standard fare from that period. And nothing enduring came from it (they fought some dude named Goth apparently, who looks...awful).

Its a shame we never got a full NTT crew reunion that wasn't written by Judd Winick. The same problems would still probably exist, just to a lesser degree. Its a more marketable team and still has Dick and Wally.
    Oh, do not get me going on Devin Grayson's writing (and for the record, I met her briefly at the 1996 San Diego Comic Con... She's a very nice person... But her writing... <shudder>). I was really enjoying the Technis Imperative storyline, until she had Dick chose the team he did to go up and deal with Victor. There is *no* way that Dick would take Roy and Garth to deal with Vic over Raven, Kory and Gar (Gar ended up going by stowing away with the group - and he's the one that saved the day). The Fab Five should never have never been the ones to deal with Vic over the NTT. Killed the story then and there for me.

That, and a bunch of little things which showed me she and Phil Jimenez needed to do some much valued research (Kory could never fly in space unaided before that story and such) really made what seemed to be a really epic story into one that felt way to OOC for me.

So, while I liked her as a person, I would never want to see Ms. Grayson write for DC comics ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilee View Post
    Oh, do not get me going on Devin Grayson's writing (and for the record, I met her briefly at the 1996 San Diego Comic Con... She's a very nice person... But her writing... <shudder>). I was really enjoying the Technis Imperative storyline, until she had Dick chose the team he did to go up and deal with Victor. There is *no* way that Dick would take Roy and Garth to deal with Vic over Raven, Kory and Gar (Gar ended up going by stowing away with the group - and he's the one that saved the day). The Fab Five should never have never been the ones to deal with Vic over the NTT. Killed the story then and there for me.

That, and a bunch of little things which showed me she and Phil Jimenez needed to do some much valued research (Kory could never fly in space unaided before that story and such) really made what seemed to be a really epic story into one that felt way to OOC for me.

So, while I liked her as a person, I would never want to see Ms. Grayson write for DC comics ever again.
    Oh yikes, I forgot about that. Wally and Donna totally should have been there, but Roy and Garth barely interacted with Vic in the stories being told when the property was at it's peak. And of the others, he was always very close to Raven. No reason she can't have been there.

The Fab 5 as a group don't do anything for me even though I'm a fan of 3/5 of the characters. There's just something about that specific combination that bores me to tears. Same with the O5 in X-Men (where I love Scott, Jean and Hank, and am so-so on the other two). I think basing the franchise around them at the forefront is dodgy, as beyond the original Silver Age stories the group as a unit hasn't contributed anything of value.

Oh yikes, I forgot about that. Wally and Donna totally should have been there, but Roy and Garth barely interacted with Vic in the stories being told when the property was at it's peak. And of the others, he was always very close to Raven. No reason she can't have been there.

The Fab 5 as a group don't do anything for me even though I'm a fan of 3/5 of the characters. There's just something about that specific combination that bores me to tears. Same with the O5 in X-Men (where I love Scott, Jean and Hank, and am so-so on the other two). I think basing the franchise around them at the forefront is dodgy, as beyond the original Silver Age stories the group as a unit hasn't contributed anything of value.
    I think even with the 05 X-Men that's another roster that's dependent a lot on the writing then it is the roster in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think even with the 05 X-Men that's another roster that's dependent a lot on the writing then it is the roster in my opinion.
    I guess, but in both franchises, what are generally regarded as the peaks of popularity and storytelling don't feature both groups of 5 together as a unit or have the most popular dynamics come from the group. I mean, the Dark Phoenix Saga obviously stars Scott and Jean and is considered the greatest X-Men story of all time...but otherwise puts way more focus on Wolverine, Storm, Colossus and Nightcrawler than Angel and Iceman is absent entirely.

BANNED

I guess, but in both franchises, what are generally regarded as the peaks of popularity and storytelling don't feature both groups of 5 together as a unit or have the most popular dynamics come from the group. I mean, the Dark Phoenix Saga obviously stars Scott and Jean and is considered the greatest X-Men story of all time...but otherwise puts way more focus on Wolverine, Storm, Colossus and Nightcrawler than Angel and Iceman is absent entirely.
    But they're still THERE; they're not off-panel and nobody knows why. As you said, obviously Scott and Jean are the big focal point--it was one of the greatest love affairs in comics history. I wonder if there is an accountability problem with comics companies: It seems like it's okay to flub up a book (or several books), run it into the ground, then you go on to another gig and the company just blames it on the characters. We should ALL have gigs like this!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marilee View Post

I'm sure that Dan Abnett is a very nice guy--that doesn't change the fact that he's running the Titans book into the ground. This is no way personal towards these creators--it's all about the books and making them everything they should be.

It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    God I hope so, although I wonder whats the endgame here, simply using them as a sacrificial lamb to get the heroes together? Completely disbanding the team after woulds? Updates to the timeline thanks to universe mumbo jumbo to cause changes within the teams roster?.

I've been fairly critical of Titans myself and have no love for the rebirth series, but the sales have been doing relatively well, no? So I wonder, why the update or 'shake up'?, if there even is a major update for them in particular. Snyders comments on twitter may have been referring to a change within TT or JL etc and not necessarily anything 'major' in Titans. Am I mistaken about the relatively positive sales figures? Or have they plummeted recently?