Page 1380 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 3808801280133013701376137713781379138013811382138313841390 ... LastLast
Results 20,686 to 20,700 of 21418

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Yes.
    Most of Dick jobs are kind of random if you ask me.

I think Dick definitely needs some kind of odd, unusual job that not just anyone would stumble into.

I just can't see him punching a clock. I think the monotony would drive him insane. He needs something challenging, that forces him into different situations constantly.

Being a pro extreme athlete has been my personal choice for a while now. Something like a snowboarder or dirt bike racer. It lets him travel, it explains the bruises and scars, it has a short pro season and odd hours. And as long as Nightwing is at least a little tiny bit covert, he can avoid a lot of the "Dick Grayson was in Paris last week, so was Nightwing. Now Dick is in Mexico, and so is Nightwing. Ain't that odd?" secret identity stuff......but it's still close enough to "danger" to spin a few good stories out of it.

But really, anything that keeps him out of an office and off regular hours would probably suffice. I just can't see the guy being happy with any kind of 9-5, even if it's something totally in his wheelhouse like "teacher" or "social worker."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like that we are as confused as DC about his job, so at least in this case it's not just a DC problem ^^

Nightwing #46 Variant by Ben Oliver

Helluva upgrade from JR JR
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I'll throw my hat in this Dick day job ring.

None.

Time and time again this has been proven to be a dead end for Dick. Day jobs and civilian lives are remnants of an older time in comics. Bruce continues to hold his job at Wayne Enterprises to establish a rationale behind funding his arsenal, but it has been a long time since writers have cared to develop this part of hero's lives. And frankly, for Dick, its too late to start.

Success for characters at DC seems to be rooted in foundations from the past, and Dick benefits from this. His ubiquity as Robin added importance to his transition to Nightwing. But Dick's history is as a kid sidekick. He has no historical job, nothing strongly associated to his character. And that's why nothing sticks.

Looking back to Dick's time in the '60s and '70s, I see two options, but I don't like either.

1.) Dick as a journalist. This works for a few reasons. It has precedent. Dick served on his high school newspaper staff as well as at Hudson University. So it's something he's done before. It could also give him a good reason to be a crime scenes a-la Spidey or reason to travel out-of-country for globe-trotting international stories. Lastly, it could be used as a link between him and Clark, a bond that sorely needs strengthened and redeveloped. BUT that brings up the obvious downsides. Journalist superheroes are already well represented by Supes and Spidey. Setting Dick up here sets him up for comparison against much more popular superheroes and he will always come out looking derivative.

2.) Business and marketing. Dick was going to college for business before he dropped out. He was described as a natural at it, he just didn't complete his coursework. He is pretty good at reading people typically. So I think that he would be a naturally good fit at a business or marketing position somewhere. Logically, Wayne Industries would a good choice because of it connection to Bruce, Batman, and Gotham, with global connections, but Dick would never work there because he has a desire to step out from Bruce's shadow. So that leaves us with a problem. Dick can go to LexCorp or maybe Kord Industries, but otherwise, he's just going to another nameless boring 9-5 no better that bartending. I could see Dick bringing energy to a marketing pitch or strategy, one that is exciting to customers, but it will never be exciting to me as a reader. So Wayne Enterprises or bust, but he'd never take it.

Then of course there are other jobs that logically fit with Dick's activities as a crimefighter, but those run into similar problems that Dick has as a journalist. Other heroes are already more well cemented in these roles. It would make sense for Dick to be a criminologist or detective or forensic analyst, but Barry Allen has that covered. Dick could be a prosecutor of criminals or defense attorney for the unfairly accused, but Matt Murdock's got the lawyer bit down.

So that leaves me with what I would do with Dick. He would be a superhero full time. It makes sense narratively for the character. Publication history is important to a character's success and status quo, and Dick's only consistent trappings are his superheroing. Unlike all other popular DC heroes, he didn't become a superhero as an adult. He didn't have a relatively normal childhood and friendships. He never had an established career before he put on a colorful costume. He was raised as a superhero. It was his "first job" as a teenager (minus the circus bit). It is where he developed his first set of friends. Ultimately, Dick gave up his college education and future career to be a superhero. He doesn't have anything else. He is a superhero.

Both from an in-story and wholistic perspective, Dick's attempts at establishing a life outside of superheroing have failed. He failed out of Hudson University. Blüdhaven got nuked. He's never been able to keep a job or establish lasting friendships with normal people. So I'd make a story acknowledging that. I would have Dick realize that he is not cut out for normal life and that he will never establish a lasting civilian job or relationships. From there I would have him build upon his strengths. What has remained consistent for Dick throughout the years is his occupation superheroing. His role as a leader, and his relationships with superheroes. He has lasting relationships with Batman, Barbara, and the Titans. And I'm suggesting that we trap him there, but use that as a building point.

Dick Grayson has no need for a day job. He can be a career superhero. This could be accomplished a few ways. The obvious way would be to say that he has inheritance from Bruce or the Graysons, but that's pretty boring and not something that I would see Dick doing given his desire for independence. He would never take money from Bruce. However, there is one way that I could see this working. Dick receives funds not directly from Bruce, but as an operative of Batman, Inc. Obviously this appears similar at first glance, but this would be earned on the merit of his superheroing (like other heroes such as Batwing and the Knight) rather than from his familial connection to Bruce. I quite liked Seeley's description of "Batman's one-man strike force of one." Make him a global Batman, Inc. agent.

Alternatively, he could work the government. An intelligence agency like Argus or Checkmate or just a US-Sanctioned superhero group. This could obviously create conflict if he disagrees with government interests, but that is part of what made Grayson so interesting.

Lastly, he could go public. Dick has been described as the heart of the DCU, someone who grew up in it and is trusted by everyone, but I've only seen that supported by like one scan of a Johns TT comic from a decade ago. So lets build on that. I'm sure that the Teen Wonder was a heartthrob as he matured. Being the partner of the goddamn Batman puts a spotlight on him. He's grown up in this world. So why not have him publicize it. Use it to his advantage. Sell books, give interviews and photo ops while continuing to help people. A celebrity superhero. With no civilian life, this poses no threat to anyone. Except Bruce's secret identity of course. But Batman, Inc. provides the perfect smokescreen for this. Bruce can cite Dick as his inspiration to fund Batman's expenditures and and otherwise distance himself from Dick's public superheroing.

Oh one more. They can just stick him in Titans Tower without a job and just not address it and that'd probably work too I guess!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Spectacular Member

Nightwing #45 preview on Percy's twitter:

https://twitter.com/Benjamin_Percy/s...51192887398406

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'll throw my hat in this Dick day job ring.

None.

Oh one more. They can just stick him in Titans Tower without a job and just not address it and that'd probably work too I guess!
    Killer response. Super well thought out and fun to read. I particularly agree with the Batman Inc. idea. That actually seems like it could have been the perfect compromise between Grayson and Nightwing. Spy and Superhero. It would continue Grayson's habit of running with discarded Morrisonian concepts.

It could work in any number of ways, too. Dick could be more than agent, with his experience in Spyral and his interconnections within the DCU he could practically run the organization. DC seems content to keep Bruce in Gotham rather than globetrotting, so running Batman Inc. could easily something he doesn't want to work on directly, but would only trust to someone he knows as well as Dick. Dick could go on missions recruiting members and such. Or it could be set up more like Grayson, where he isn't running the organization, but is something of their ace. Either way would give plenty of opportunity to build a supporting cast both from familiar characters and new. Maybe Alfred would be the one running the show (the "M" character, if you will), or Dick recruits the Skull Girls.

Sigh. if only.

Alternatively, he could work the government. An intelligence agency like Argus or Checkmate or just a US-Sanctioned superhero group. This could obviously create conflict if he disagrees with government interests, but that is part of what made Grayson so interesting.
    I think making him the leader of Spyral would be my ideal niche for Nightwing. DC doesn't have a super-spy the way Marvel has Nick Fury, and it's a role that's largely overlooked in the current Big 2 market. Dick obviously has connections there already, and it could provide a chance to tie DC's intelligence agencies together and make that corner of the DCU a little tighter and more cohesive.

And if it were up to me, he'd "borrow" some of the tech concepts from the Heavy arc in Snyder's Batman. That Bat-blimp with the search light? The mech armor that has an auto pilot (which Dick wouldn't be piloting but his field agents might)? Those (among a few others) are damned cool ideas that deserve to show up somewhere and I wouldn't be at all against Nightwing's Spyral taking them for his own. Plus, with a few design tweaks it'd give Spyral a visual identity that's instantly recognizable and shows Dick's history with the Batclan, without being a total Bat-rip like the Colony was/is over in 'Tec.

Lastly, he could go public. Dick has been described as the heart of the DCU, someone who grew up in it and is trusted by everyone, but I've only seen that supported by like one scan of a Johns TT comic from a decade ago. So lets build on that. I'm sure that the Teen Wonder was a heartthrob as he matured. Being the partner of the goddamn Batman puts a spotlight on him. He's grown up in this world. So why not have him publicize it. Use it to his advantage. Sell books, give interviews and photo ops while continuing to help people. A celebrity superhero. With no civilian life, this poses no threat to anyone. Except Bruce's secret identity of course. But Batman, Inc. provides the perfect smokescreen for this. Bruce can cite Dick as his inspiration to fund Batman's expenditures and and otherwise distance himself from Dick's public superheroing
    If Batman Inc were still in the picture, this could work too. It'd definitely be interesting, though I cant quite see Dick making that choice. If it were just him he had to worry about? That'd be one thing. But even with Batman Inc providing a buffer between Dick and Bruce's identities, it seems like a risk I can't see Dick taking. I mean, that's not just Bruce, that's Tim and Damien and Jason and Babs, too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Dick as head of Spyral would be killer for a few reasons, not least of which is that DC could finally position some of its evil super secret societies to be as high-profile and cool as H.Y.D.R.A. has proven to be in Marvel. His ... well, strange, relationship with the League of Assassins (their total comic history but also particularly their 70s O'Neil Kung-Fuisms ... his utter antagonism with the Court of Owls (and their easy access to Morrisonian and Snyderian roots) ... and of course KOBRA (with its Jack Kirby origins and style) and M.A.Z.E.

It's such a win-win.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Dick as head of Spyral would be killer for a few reasons, not least of which is that DC could finally position some of its evil super secret societies to be as high-profile and cool as H.Y.D.R.A. has proven to be in Marvel. His ... well, strange, relationship with the League of Assassins (their total comic history but also particularly their 70s O'Neil Kung-Fuisms ... his utter antagonism with the Court of Owls (and their easy access to Morrisonian and Snyderian roots) ... and of course KOBRA (with its Jack Kirby origins and style) and M.A.Z.E.

It's such a win-win.
    We've had some really good comments lately. I think that one thing stands out--and that is that he should LEAD whatever he's doing. I like the idea of his being in charge of Batman Inc, training and managing other operatives for the Bat-organizations world operation. I like the idea of him being head of Spyral who leads from the front. I like the idea of him using his heritage as a blood descendant of the old Crowne family (maybe the ONLY one) to make the Court of Owls work for HIM, and not him being their flunky. He could also complete law school and not be a prosecutor/defense a la Matt Murdock, but a corporate lawyer who is associated with the Wayne Foundation--perhaps the public relations director of it--someplace where he could lead others. In the 70's, Bruce started his VIP effort (Victims Inc Program) in order to try to help crime victims--that was about as short-lived as Dick's museum curator job, BUT Dick's compassion and his natural charisma would make him perfect to LEAD that effort, and it could involve detective work, vengeance, and justice. Dick doesn't have to completely exile himself from the whole operation in order to be his own man; it's time to become a partner instead of the first sidekick. There are all sorts of opportunities to take Dick out of the in-the-family-out-of-the-family-angry-young-man-dutiful-son ball of wax rut that he's perpetually kept in.

Dick should just be Nightwing: Agent of spyral. He should be the face of DC's espionage and spy corner. I hate seeing both Grayson and spyral going to waste, especially when DC can't find what to do with him. Heck it's basically what he does on YJ just under the JL. Just have Nightwing be the green lantern of espionage. there's so many toy in that sandbox for DC.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nightwing #46 Variant by Ben Oliver

Helluva upgrade from JR JR
    Matching covers for you and your bae

De8WqtNVQAAGBkf.jpg

Joshua Middleton made this Batgirl one. I don't know if they planned it to be a match. It's too close and too different at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Matching covers for you and your bae

De8WqtNVQAAGBkf.jpg

Joshua Middleton made this Batgirl one. I don't know if they planned it to be a match. It's too close and too different at the same time.
    Both are hella pretty. But yeah I bet there is some connective storyline. I know Percy is bringing in Babs as a supporting cast for Nightwing and Dick is going to be featured in Batgirl soon.

i know it's the Two Face arc for Babs that the cover hints at, but for Dick's might be hinting at the "digital phantom" story line.

If they are gonna be featured in both titles, there definitely has got to be some cohesiveness going on, could be a coincidence as they are both variants, or could be hinting at a long game time deal.

Dick should just be a professional wizard since it’s ridiculous enough to fit along the circus kid in a superhero world, requires just knowledge of Magic which honestly considering how crazy the universe isn’t too far fetched for someone like him and wizards being Old is a Old trope. He can stay at his same physical level but the sticks he has are more mystical. There are sorcerers & sorceress plus mystical entities. He will essentially be the World’s First Superhero Wizard, Constantine is more of a Warlock and involved with Heaven/Hell & Zatanna is more elite level magic. Dick would just be adding to his skill set in an efficient way.

Bludhaven needs to operate in a unique way and if you can have Super Science Technology taking over a City then Incorporating Magic Should be the same. Dick under NO circumstances needs to be taking on the most powerful mystical beings as that should be reserved for natural Magic users. Bludhaven could be the new location for the Oblivion Bar and access to the Myrra Dimension. James Rook Nightmaster was a rock band member in his early 20’s with no interest in fighting who was given a mystical sword and being a Bar Tender is what he ended up doing mostly as he was not a natural fighter. James Rook was just a descendant given A sword, Dick is 100% a hero.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Dick definitely needs some kind of odd, unusual job that not just anyone would stumble into.

I just can't see him punching a clock. I think the monotony would drive him insane. He needs something challenging, that forces him into different situations constantly.

Being a pro extreme athlete has been my personal choice for a while now. Something like a snowboarder or dirt bike racer. It lets him travel, it explains the bruises and scars, it has a short pro season and odd hours. And as long as Nightwing is at least a little tiny bit covert, he can avoid a lot of the "Dick Grayson was in Paris last week, so was Nightwing. Now Dick is in Mexico, and so is Nightwing. Ain't that odd?" secret identity stuff......but it's still close enough to "danger" to spin a few good stories out of it.

But really, anything that keeps him out of an office and off regular hours would probably suffice. I just can't see the guy being happy with any kind of 9-5, even if it's something totally in his wheelhouse like "teacher" or "social worker."
    There was an idea at some point about Dick Grayson becoming a male model (Bruce Jones run, maybe?).

I always liked that because it really seems like the kind of career somebody raised by playboy Bruce Wayne would end up in.

And it gives the same opportunities for travel that the circus did.