Page 1424 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 424924132413741414142014211422142314241425142614271428 LastLast
Results 21,346 to 21,360 of 21418
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I see the forum is bugging out on you guys too, lol. Anyway I know it’s out of context, and incomplete, but that scene like that is hilarious. Personally I’m at the point where I think Dick should have a moment where he says **** the JL. I’d mark out for that
    **** the JL
    they are all a buunch of controling assholes
    the Justice Lords Possiblity never strays to far

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Okay so... we know that Robin was first created as a kid appeal character, and there's no need for any more justification than that because it's a comic book, but today... starting at about the 80s? They started to make Batman more realistic, gritty and darker, and with more realism. They want Batman to be taken seriously. It's to the point where they don't want to use Robin at all, but in comics itself Robin is a must as a commodity.

So my question, what were the justifications, every time they want to include a child in a dark and gritty world of Batman where the enemies are gangster and psychopaths?

For example, Robin in Schumacher's Batman is a college student and even then he still didn't want to include him until he realized Two-Face and Riddler are too much to take on alone.

In BTAS he's a high schooler but I don't remember the reason.

In New 52, he's a high schooler with such prodigious skills and saved his life, so he took him in begrudgingly, and there was a lot of tension before really slowly they develop respect to each other.

In Young Justice, he's still 9 to 13, but Batman said it's so Dick won't turn out like him.

In Dark Victory, he took him in because he relates to him and also to replace the emptiness that Harvey Dent left after he became Two-Face. Later on he's impressed with his way of thinking that actually helped him solve the case, but the story stopped before Batman agrees to have a Robin. He just thought it's a good idea to have another friend.

In TDKR, he's an adult cop who go straight to be Batman. Robin is just a name drop.

That's all I know though. What else did they say, how did they handle the stories, and which one is your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Okay so... we know that Robin was first created as a kid appeal character, and there's no need for any more justification than that because it's a comic book, but today... starting at about the 80s? They started to make Batman more realistic, gritty and darker, and with more realism. They want Batman to be taken seriously. It's to the point where they don't want to use Robin at all, but in comics itself Robin is a must as a commodity.

So my question, what were the justifications, every time they want to include a child in a dark and gritty world of Batman where the enemies are gangster and psychopaths?

For example, Robin in Schumacher's Batman is a college student and even then he still didn't want to include him until he realized Two-Face and Riddler are too much to take on alone.

In New 52, he's a high schooler with such prodigious skills and saved his life, so he took him in begrudgingly, and there was a lot of tension before really slowly they develop respect to each other.

In Young Justice, he's still 9 to 13, but Batman said it's so Dick won't turn out like him.

In Dark Victory, he took him in because he relates to him and also to replace the emptiness that Harvey Dent left after he became Two-Face. Later on he's impressed with his way of thinking that actually helped him solve the case, but the story stopped before Batman agrees to have a Robin. He just thought it's a good idea to have another friend.

In TDKR, he's an adult cop who go straight to be Batman. Robin is just a name drop.

That's all I know though. What else did they say, how did they handle the stories, and which one is your favorite?
    Well in the DCAU (BTAS) Dick started being Robin around 9. The writers of the show wanted to use Dick but didn't want him to be around all the time so they decided to make him be in college by the time the show starts. That way they don't always have to explain where Dick is and he can still have adventures.

To me Robin's Reckoning is the best way to describe/do Dick and Bruce's relationship. Dick loses his parents at a young age, Bruce sees himself in the boy and volunteers to look after him for awhile so Zucco can't find him. Bruce works tirelessly as Batman to catch to him for Dick but doesn't realize he is somewhat neglecting him as Bruce. Bruce slows down on Zucco to become more of a father to Dick. Zucco is about to skip town and Dick decides he's going to go after him himself. He finds him through skills that highlight his potential as Robin and tracks down Zucco. Dick is almost killed and is saved by Batman at the expense of Zucco getting away. Bruce reveals who is he is to Dick, Dick becomes his ward/son and Dick does the same solemn vow that Bruce did and becomes Robin.

That's pretty much my ideal origin and relationship starting point for Dick. It's comics so my suspension of disbelief is already a solid brick wall, the idea of a really young kid becoming a sidekick doesn't take much for me. You can give me most wacky or crazy origins and I'll say okay. What I find more important are the character beats and relationship building. A story is only as good as the characters in it, the crazy and weird are just a part of it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    Looking at old JSA stuff I want Nightwing to for a team with Power Girl and Star Spangled Kid With The Super Squad. Add the Super Friends characters and you have a diverse and unique team not held down by previous stories. The only thing is the Justice League and their pantheon, but if they could focus on civilization and Building relationships Hidden Realm/Solar System Civilization.
    Isn't the Star-Spangled Kid dead?

Thank god that hack Snyder isn't in charge of his DC universe anymore. Having Dick die as Robin is so freaking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodOps View Post
    Thank god that hack Snyder isn't in charge of his DC universe anymore. Having Dick die as Robin is so freaking stupid.
    Another reason why starting the DCEU with a version of Batman similar to the Dark Knight was a terrible idea.

Incredible Member

That is so ludicrous of Syders part. Then people want to complain and be up in arms about Dick in the new Titans show where he will actually be featured and have a prominent role.

Extraordinary Member

it realy is Dick was bruce biggest and most long lasting accomplishment
    he saved that child and put him on the right path. So to have him fail so earl in his career no wonder we ended up with dark bruce in DOJ

Mighty Member

It's so damn hard being a Dick Grayson fan. No matter how much we love him. No matter how many support him. DC will always treat him as 2nd class. He will always be a supporting character in the grand scheme. Never reaching his true potential because DC will never let it. How many decades has he exist? How many stories did he have? I'm tired of waiting. It's always one step forward, two steps back. It's hard to have hope for things to improve.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    It's so damn hard being a Dick Grayson fan. No matter how much we love him. No matter how many support him. DC will always treat him as 2nd class. He will always be a supporting character in the grand scheme. Never reaching his true potential because DC will never let it. How many decades has he exist? How many stories did he have? I'm tired of waiting. It's always one step forward, two steps back. It's hard to have hope for things to improve.
    DC is too focused on its "Trinity" to pay that much attention to any other characters. That's why Marvel has trampled it in the mud on the silver screen.

Fantastic Member

But Warner never allowed Snyder to specify Robin's name even in BvS which was under his full control. Snyder's gimmick had been shot down since the beginning lol. That's also the reason why the gravestone of Richard Grayson didn't appear in the movie if you think about it.

And don't forget, Nightwing's movie was announced before Snyder got removed from DCEU, which clearly showed the creativity divergence between Warner and Snyder. So why bother complaining about the director who is desperately trying to mess up with DCEU because they kicked him out lol.
    Last edited by Onthetrapeze; 07-31-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

I love Dark Victory. That story made me regard Bruce and Dick as brothers more than father/son. They were two orphans grew up together and the ture father figure was Alfred.

BANNED

What? Where did this come from?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    What? Where did this come from?
    Here's a link to a CBR article via Twitter.

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1024603447163805696?s=19