Page 222 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 1221722122182192202212222232242252262322723227221222 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 21418
    BANNED

Grayson has hovered around the 40th spot for the past couple of months, on par with Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, and well above Flash, Green Arrow, and Aquaman. Most titles seemed to have lost around 3-5k.

Grayson isn't selling bad. It's sales are fine for a mid-tier book and it won't be going anywhere for a while, but I wouldn't call the sales amazing. The fact that the book has been out as long as it has and 4-5K are still dropping it each month is worrying. Of course the sales numbers we see only count North American physical sales, so international physical and digital don't factor in those numbers, but the numbers we see are mainly to be used as observing sales trends. It losing 4-5K each month tells us that it isn't stable. For some reason stores are cutting their orders. Maybe readers are just losing interest, moving to digital or deciding to trade wait. Maybe stores are just focusing on other books. I don't know.

Though what stands out to me is that the other two books, Teen Titans and New Suicide Squad, that were relaunched at the same time as Grayson have been more successful relaunches in terms of how they are performing compared to where they were.

Nightwing #29....36,814 <---lowest point of old run
    Grayson #6........38,505

Teen Titans #30......25,709 <---lowest point of old run
    Teen Ttians #6.......30,955

Suicide Squad #30........22,063 <---lowest point of old run
    New Suicide Squad #6...32,304

So Grayson is only doing about 2K better than the previous Nightwing run, Teen Titans is doing about 5K better, and New Suicide Squad is doing 10K better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Grayson isn't selling bad. It's sales are fine for a mid-tier book and it won't be going anywhere for a while, but I wouldn't call the sales amazing. The fact that the book has been out as long as it has and 4-5K are still dropping it each month is worrying. Of course the sales numbers we see only count North American physical sales, so international physical and digital don't factor in those numbers, but the numbers we see are mainly to be used as observing sales trends. It losing 4-5K each month tells us that it isn't stable. For some reason stores are cutting their orders. Maybe readers are just losing interest, moving to digital or deciding to trade wait. Maybe stores are just focusing on other books. I don't know.

Though what stands out to me is that the other two books, Teen Titans and New Suicide Squad, that were relaunched at the same time as Grayson have been more successful relaunches in terms of how they are performing compared to where they were.

Nightwing #29....36,814 <---lowest point of old run
    Grayson #6........38,505

Teen Titans #30......25,709 <---lowest point of old run
    Teen Ttians #6.......30,955

Suicide Squad #30........22,063 <---lowest point of old run
    New Suicide Squad #6...32,304

So Grayson is only doing about 2K better than the previous Nightwing run, Teen Titans is doing about 5K better, and New Suicide Squad is doing 10K better.
    Certainly those books had "more to fix", more to prove than Grayson did. I mean Nightwing needed a direction like bad, but nobody was calling for its cancellation every month. And even just from general reading it's common enough knowledge for us that Teen Titans under Pfeiffer's pen is a far cry better than it had been, and New Suicide Squad ... I guess at least has an interest level that comes from a few popular characters and a fresh writer who hasn't been grinding away at reader's will to read/souls for two years.

Nor have any of them been steamrolled by crossovers yet.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Grayson is still hampered by the Nightwing/forever evil/guns/fake death backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    Grayson is still hampered by the Nightwing/forever evil/guns/fake death backlash.
    None of that helps, you are certainly right.

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

Seems to me its bleeding readers. Its selling ok now, but how low can it go before they put the character back where he belongs?

I mean, I guess you can tell yourself those thousands of people dropping the book monthly are just going digital, but I doubt it.

I understand some of you dig Grayson, and want it to stay this way, I mean you no ill will or disrespect. I just like Superhero Dick and his old circle of characters a LOT more than his current situation.
    Last edited by dick_wingnut; 02-09-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dick_wingnut View Post
    Seems to me its bleeding readers. Its selling ok now, but how low can it go before they put the character back where he belongs?

I mean, I guess you can tell yourself those thousands of people dropping the book monthly are just going digital, but I doubt it.

I understand some of you dig Grayson, and want it to stay this way, I mean you no ill will or disrespect. I just like Superhero Dick and his old circle of characters a LOT more than his current situation.
    What old circle of characters? If you read Nightwing you know he had no one

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    What old circle of characters? If you read Nightwing you know he had no one
    Yeah they died/mooved after death of the family. Any he basically starts out with no one becasue of the relaunch. Poor jason and tim needed his backstory more

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dick_wingnut View Post

There's really nothing left for him as Nightwing, at least for the reason you love nightwing. As much as I hate to say it that era is over. To be completely honest the Nightwing moniker died as soon as he became Batman, putting him back was not only a demotion but an mistake

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

I hate you all for being right.

The constant numbers drop is worrying. I've seen a few people complain about the one-and-done thing they went with at the start, I don't know if that had any effect on sales. I *hope* some of those people have just gone digital, but so many is unlikely. Dick really needs some more exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Nope, pretty sure it's US only. DC do have access to all the figures though when deciding what to cancel or not, Jonah Hex apparently survived for years despite crappy US figures due to the character having a European following.
    That's a shame, I'd love to know overall sales.

BANNED

Well, under Comixology's "top selling", it seems to be doing better than Detective Comics and Green Lantern.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Cactus View Post
    Well, under Comixology's "top selling", it seems to be doing better than Detective Comics and Green Lantern.

I have no basis for this, but it kind of feels intuitively right that most of the Brave New Series coming out of this little tonal shake-up not just of the DCU but comics in general will have stronger digital sales, but perhaps end up alienating the more traditional floppy-buying readership.

BANNED

I imagine that titles with name recognition like "Batman" and "Spider-Man" and "Star Wars" tend to stand out more in comic shops. I bet if Grayson would sell more if it was titled "Justice League Batman Superman Detective Comics: Grayson"