Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    One of the traits many villain has is killing people, it is a part of the villain DNA it is not so frequent in the general hero's DNA.

This. The problem is they get repetitive since it is the same story told over and over again. There needs to be the illusion of danger and problem for the hero if not then it is (at least to me) not that exciting.
    LOL and I'm the exact reverse, because this method of tension, this illusion of danger and problem is so overused, it makes the heroes looks weak and pathetic. There needs to be a sense of balance. Your point is exactly what I mentioned in my first paragraph.

The common storytelling attempt is you have a hero who struggles, gets his butt whooped most of the movie only to make a miraculous save spirit bomb move in the end. Ultimately almost every hero ends up with the power ranger theory, why? Because of some people's idea that a dominant hero lacks "tension and suspense."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno...I think you can find a number of heroes that fit that definition. From Batman to James Bond to Black Panther (though he isn't dominating anything in New Avengers these days). Superman was that guy for years but it got boring for people. Any number of action film stars fit that model.
    Ah but that's sorta badass in a different type of way, they definitely aren't brimming with uncontrolled power that's for sure, these heroes fit more the personality traits, very stoic, take charge, serious and mysterious persona, but especially batman and james bond, they get put through the ringer very often. The closest one who fits the definition I'm talking about was the Hulk in the avengers movie, though my friend did use Batman The Dark Knight as an example of another case of bad a$$, at the same time he also use the third movie as an example of the power ranger theory lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    That's not a hero, that's a psychotic.
    Dynasty Warriors says otherwise. It was another example of being a true bada$$, you're a hero that lay waste to possibly 1000s of enemies because you were a beast on the battlefield. And very few people in that game was a psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Also worth noting that, in the movie that defined his career, Schwarzenegger was the villain. His later films (including T2) struggled when they tried to portray those characteristics in a hero.
    On what level would you say T2 struggled?

BANNED

Thoughtful, considerate people are not weak or pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Dynasty Warriors says otherwise. It was another example of being a true bada$$, you're a hero that lay waste to possibly 1000s of enemies because you were a beast on the battlefield. And very few people in that game was a psychopath.
    Dynasty Warriors is a video game. No one there is a hero.
    Last edited by Jeff Brady; 10-23-2014 at 11:46 AM.

i agree, not enough dominant alpha males starring in comics these days. wimps everywhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i agree, not enough dominant alpha males starring in comics these days. wimps everywhere.
    There are tons of books for the likes of you, like Bosch Fawstin's Pigman.

Or everything Frank Miller did in the past 20 years. And, of course, My Little Pony: Carnage is Magic.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    James Cameron struggled with finding crazy-ass ways to spend all the money it raked in.

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

A hero who doesn't struggle? Pretty much by definition isn't a hero.

BANNED

Ah but that's sorta badass in a different type of way, they definitely aren't brimming with uncontrolled power that's for sure, these heroes fit more the personality traits, very stoic, take charge, serious and mysterious persona, but especially batman and james bond, they get put through the ringer very often. The closest one who fits the definition I'm talking about was the Hulk in the avengers movie, though my friend did use Batman The Dark Knight as an example of another case of bad a$$, at the same time he also use the third movie as an example of the power ranger theory lol.
    Oh, so you're just talking in a primal physical sense. It's not enough to be James Bond and be five steps ahead of the game and kill everyone and screw all the chicks, even the evil ones. You want heroes who are ragebeasts who go in swinging and mash in skulls until their hands are slick with brains, without ever having any trouble or facing an opponent that actually tests them. Well, that's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    Yeah I don't see how it struggled since it was the best film in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by afrocarter View Post
    A hero who doesn't struggle? Pretty much by definition isn't a hero.
    capedbaldy.jpg

Caped Baldy.

I always thought that's why Steven Segal's films are so bad. He swaggers through every film as the toughest person in it and never seems under threat or in an underdog/vunerable position.

A co-worker and I were having this conversation at work and we both agreed upon the lack of heroes that are straight dominant, come in and just lay waste to everybody and everything. The common storytelling attempt is you have a hero who struggles, gets his butt whooped most of the movie only to make a miraculous save spirit bomb move in the end. Ultimately almost every hero ends up with the power ranger theory, why? Because of some people's idea that a dominant hero lacks "tension and suspense."

But than you have all of these people who like the villains as much if not more than the heroes. Why? Because the villain is bad a$$, everything the hero should be. He comes in, lays waste to armies, knocks the hero on his tail time and time again until he eventually loses in the end. Think about how many fans go crazy over Thanos or Darkseid. Why? Because they are absolute juggernaults that lays a whooping to almost everybody they faced. They have a sense of alpha mentality which most heroes lack. Most heroes nowadays are mostly beta, getting their tails pushed in until they magically come with up with a victory in the end.

Than you look at the movie like the avengers, and who was the break out star by far in the avengers? The Hulk. Why? Because he was a beast! He was something everything feared, he was the one who took a god and swung him around like a WWE wrestling buddy. He was the one who freakin grabbed a pilot who ejected from a plane and tossed him miles away. He was complete, untamed power and something that was and is sorely missing in most comic book heroes today. That's not to say there shouldn't be a spider man who gets wreck every single issue. They have their place in the comic world too. But as long as the villains continue to be the one that displays alpha traits, they will be the one that the majority of people like. Those alpha traits need to be brought into some heroes.
    We have too many writers that can't tell the difference between bass-ass and hero and you want more?

That would work great if you entire desired audience was young males. Badass is more closely a synonym for "asshole' than it is for "hero'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Thoughtful, considerate people are not weak or pathetic.

Dynasty Warriors is a video game. No one there is a hero.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I've never said thoughtful and considerate people are pathetic. You can still be thoughtful and considerate and still be a bada$$, but as stated before, that hero needs to be presented as a beast, someone when presented with a challenge lays waste to it like the Hulk did in the Avengers. As stated before, it was his undeniable power and prowess that made him such a star, had he got his tailed whoop like Captain America did in the same movie, no one would have cared.

And while dynasty Warrior is a video game, there are actually a few characters in the game that has more heroic traits for sure. But you playing as the character represents you being the hero of the stage. You could also user the recent zelda game that's based around dynasty warrior. Again, many people major enjoyment regarding the game is you get to take link and truly be "bada$$" with him by laying out enemies left and right. There's clearly an interest there, it's just that there isn't many heroes that can fit that demand.