Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default PREVIEW: Doctor Doom #10 Bedford Falls

Unfortunately, this will is the last issue of this series. Despite last issues dire conclusion, it looks like things worked out after all and Blue Marvel returns. But will Doom heed the advice of his alternate universe self and Adam Brashear? I don't think the odds are very good. I'm guessing Marvel will have him backsliding before too long.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-17-2020 at 04:08 PM.

I wonder why Brashear has been put on the left side in the last panel and not on the right…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I guess he just wanted to balance the panels with "our" Doom being in the middle. It's as if you were the cameraman filming the scene. One is over "our" Doom's right shoulder, the other is being filmed from over Adams's right shoulder

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Doctor Octopus is a "limited moron" in any world? Sick burn there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Although we'd preferably want to see Doom smelling like a rose, this nevertheless looks like interesting dialogue.

Much like the recent Thing/Fixit mashup, where some of us wanted Joe to outsmart & humble Grimm - but their interaction & discussion was closure enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I guess he just wanted to balance the panels with "our" Doom being in the middle. It's as if you were the cameraman filming the scene. One is over "our" Doom's right shoulder, the other is being filmed from over Adams's right shoulder
    Even with a change of camera, Brashear is still on the left of the “young Doom”… At best, Brashear’s head would hide him. And the curve of the light above should have changed, too…

Anyways…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Even with a change of camera, Brashear is still on the left of the “young Doom”… At best, Brashear’s head would hide him. And the curve of the light above should have changed, too…

Anyways…
    And artist's choice plays a factor. I guess he thought symmetry with the relationship between those panels is more important

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Unfortunately, this will is the last issue of this series. Despite last issues dire conclusion, it looks like things worked out after all and Blue Marvel returns. But will Doom heed the advice of his alternate universe self and Adam Brashear? I don't think the odds are very good. I'm guessing Marvel will have him backsliding before too long.
    My feeling is, as Doom sees the 616, the 616 is the dark mirror of the alternate universe, so Doom has no choice but to live in the 616, as the dark version of Doom. He has no choice, considering the alternate universe can’t change the 616. Any attempt to do so will fail.

Which introduces the question, how much of a dark mirror is the 616? This question vexes me more than others. We look at the 616 as if we are looking out the window of our own real world, but it’s not. The 616 is this dystopia, a very harsh, brutal and out of control version of the real world, because it’s filled with terrible monsters. We write these monologues of how the MU came to being, and at some point we have to realise this world was made of monsters. The FF being the first ones, but really, the Monster Age was already there before the FF, and then maybe the normals instigated the proliferation of Monsters in the form of Superheroes, and their counterbalance, the Super villains. This was a deliberate tactic by the normals to seed more monsters in the 616. So the 616 gets what it deserves - Monsters. The Dark mirror.

The MU is a self-perpetuating horror. Nothing can scrub it of it’s monsters, and to be brutally honest, the MU depicts the human condition representing its dark side as the monsters, both good and bad. Maybe that’s what real world humanity also contains - so many monsters, and humanity struggling with these monsters every day, sometimes, we even get a semblance of sanity in our world and we can take a holiday. But then we turn the page...

Cantwell has some insight in this.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-18-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    My feeling is, as Doom sees the 616, the 616 is the dark mirror of the alternate universe, so Doom has no choice but to live in the 616, as the dark version of Doom. He has no choice, considering the alternate universe can’t change the 616. Any attempt to do so will fail.

Which introduces the question, how much of a dark mirror is the 616? This question vexes me more than others. We look at the 616 as if we are looking out the window of our own real world, but it’s not. The 616 is this dystopia, a very harsh, brutal and out of control version of the real world, because it’s filled with terrible monsters. We write these monologues of how the MU came to being, and at some point we have to realise this world was made of monsters. The FF being the first ones, but really, the Monster Age was already there before the FF, and then maybe the normals instigated the proliferation of Monsters in the form of Superheroes, and their counterbalance, the Super villains. This was a deliberate tactic by the normals to seed more monsters in the 616. So the 616 gets what it deserves - Monsters. The Dark mirror.

The MU is a self-perpetuating horror. Nothing can scrub it of it’s monsters, and to be brutally honest, the MU depicts the human condition representing its dark side as the monsters, both good and bad. Maybe that’s what real world humanity also contains - so many monsters, and humanity struggling with these monsters every day, sometimes, we even get a semblance of sanity in our world and we can take a holiday. But then we turn the page...

Cantwell has some insight in this.
    That's a pretty interesting, if bleak, take.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yes it is. Sometimes one forgets that this version of the MU in the post Secret Wars world is quite young. I'm curious now to see more of this discussion between Blue Marvel and the 2 Dooms. What conclusions will they come to? I know Cantwell mentioned in an earlier interview that at the end of the series, Doom and Blue Marvel will share a secret.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Doom always struck me as the type of chap that would turn his back on the Pearly Gates if it meant that he had a hand in bettering Hell.

And I wonder if Doom is sick and tired of sitting opposite someone with Reed's taste in hairstyle? I know I would be.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I find it hard to believe that both Doom and Brashear couldn't tell the difference between a black hole and a wormhole. One has created a time machine, which in theory operates on the same quantum principles of a wormhole. The other has created a network of teleportation devices, which again, operate on similar principles as a wormhole, albeit on a much smaller scale. Blue Marvel has also created a passageway to the Neutral Zone/Exo-space, which one would think couldn't be traversed without some familiarity with wormholes. But whatevs. Will try to focus on the big picture with this final issue.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm really going to miss this book. I hope Cantwell gets FF or another DOOM down the road.

Me too. I think the fact that Marvel took a long time putting this comic back on the schedule really did a lot of damage to the sales...and it's not like it got much promotion when it did return. Marvel, and DC for that matter, always promotes that next big event with all the tie-ins. Before the pandemic, the comic had climbed to 49 in the ranking. Now the latest I've seen is that it is ranked 99th for October. No figures have emerged yet for November.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Doom always struck me as the type of chap that would turn his back on the Pearly Gates if it meant that he had a hand in bettering Hell.

And I wonder if Doom is sick and tired of sitting opposite someone with Reed's taste in hairstyle? I know I would be.
    It seems like most artists go with the same look for the men. You do have some variation with Namor or Quicksilver. Or Charles Xavier's bald look

As for Doom, he strikes me as the restless type. If things are too calm he'll try and find something to create a challenge. I don't think he's ever totally forgotten the years when his family always moved from place to place since the Roma were typically outcasts of society.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I find it hard to believe that both Doom and Brashear couldn't tell the difference between a black hole and a wormhole. One has created a time machine, which in theory operates on the same quantum principles of a wormhole. The other has created a network of teleportation devices, which again, operate on similar principles as a wormhole, albeit on a much smaller scale. Blue Marvel has also created a passageway to the Neutral Zone/Exo-space, which one would think couldn't be traversed without some familiarity with wormholes. But whatevs. Will try to focus on the big picture with this final issue.
    I'm no astrophysicist so I don't have a good handle on the difference myself other than what can find by googling. But that is a good point. And Reed didn't seem to know either.