Page 163 of 212 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 3171

The issue with TV is that flight is a difficult super-power to pull off convincingly, especially with how CB utilises it in fighting. Supergirl pulls it off, but has a decent budget, one which I don't believe a Braddock TV series would get. I think if a series did happen it would be Netflix style, and those shows have had problems when they strayed from real-world genres in super-heroics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The issue with TV is that flight is a difficult super-power to pull off convincingly, especially with how CB utilises it in fighting. Supergirl pulls it off, but has a decent budget, one which I don't believe a Braddock TV series would get. I think if a series did happen it would be Netflix style, and those shows have had problems when they strayed from real-world genres in super-heroics.
    Never doubt the BBC or Netflix when it comes to an FX budget. Flying on the tube has gotten a lot cheaper. Even fans at home can do convincing flying FX with decent editing.

Since I dont know a better place to ask,is there a thread about British newspaper strips?Or anyone knowlagable about it?Im interested to see whats collected.

What kind of newspaper strips? Andy Capp? Perishers? Striker? Beau Peep? Rupert? Oor Wullie? Broons?

Technically such a thread would probably belong in the independents section, though I haven't seen one.

I was thinking just in general,but Im currently interested in Perishers and Jeff Hawke.

Perishers is reprinted every day in the Daily Mirror. Catch up here.

As for Jeff Hawke, Titan did some collections a decade ago.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeff-Hawke-.../dp/1845765974
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeff-Hawke-.../dp/1845765982

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hey guys, I wanted to ask a question about Captain Britain collections and wasn't sure if there was a better place. Awhile back, I wanted to read the Jaspers' Warp, so I bought the Captain Britain TPB by Alan Moore. I enjoyed the story a lot, but I was always bothered it didn't include the Crooked World stuff prior to Moore taking over. I saw online that there was Captain Britain: Legacy of a Legend. I didn't like to double dip, but a quick glance made it seem like it had what I needed, so I went ahead and bought it.

After I got it, I saw a weird thing where some of the pages would be the same and then it would diverge wildly. So I took a closer look and realized it seemed to be a weird hodgepodge with no logic whatsoever. It felt like a Captain Britain sample pack, including the origin, the Marvel Team Up story, some of the black and white Black Knight stuff, and part of the Jaspers' Warp without the context. It also had Captain Britain Vol. 2 #14, which ended identically to Mighty World of Marvel #13, which was kind of cool but weirded me out when I'm comparing pages and seeing something very different with the same dialogue.

On the one hand, I guess I'm glad I'm not double-dipping after all. On the other hand, does anyone know the point of this trade?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Hey guys, I wanted to ask a question about Captain Britain collections and wasn't sure if there was a better place. Awhile back, I wanted to read the Jaspers' Warp, so I bought the Captain Britain TPB by Alan Moore. I enjoyed the story a lot, but I was always bothered it didn't include the Crooked World stuff prior to Moore taking over. I saw online that there was Captain Britain: Legacy of a Legend. I didn't like to double dip, but a quick glance made it seem like it had what I needed, so I went ahead and bought it.

After I got it, I saw a weird thing where some of the pages would be the same and then it would diverge wildly. So I took a closer look and realized it seemed to be a weird hodgepodge with no logic whatsoever. It felt like a Captain Britain sample pack, including the origin, the Marvel Team Up story, some of the black and white Black Knight stuff, and part of the Jaspers' Warp without the context. It also had Captain Britain Vol. 2 #14, which ended identically to Mighty World of Marvel #13, which was kind of cool but weirded me out when I'm comparing pages and seeing something very different with the same dialogue.

On the one hand, I guess I'm glad I'm not double-dipping after all. On the other hand, does anyone know the point of this trade?

Ah, yes.

Captain Britain: Legacy of a Legend was Marvel's vague attempt at a collection to celebrate the character's 40th anniversary, last year. Something which in all other regards went largely unmentioned by Marvel.

The solicits blurb was:

Honor four decades of myth and majesty with the United Kingdom’s greatest hero! Follow Brian Braddock — handpicked for greatness by the sorcerer Merlyn — from the fateful decision that imbues him with the might of right on the path to glory that will make him protector of the Omniverse! Along the way, he’ll make a splash stateside in a team-up with Spider-Man and fight alongside the Black Knight in the name of King Arthur! Things go from fantasy to far-out as Brian goes Multiversal — facing Slaymaster, the Crazy Gang, Mad Jim Jaspers and the Fury! He’s Britain’s champion — now and forever! Collecting CAPTAIN BRITAIN (1976) #1-2; MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #65-66; and material from HULK COMIC #1 and #3-5, INCREDIBLE HULK WEEKLY #57-59, MARVEL SUPER-HEROES (UK) #377-384 and #386, DAREDEVILS #3-4, MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL (1983) #8-12 and CAPTAIN BRITAIN (1985) #14.

It is a bit of an odd hodgepodge of stories, I agree.

It is a little annoying that the Dave Thorpe issues aren't included in the Moore/Davis trade. But you can kind of understand why - Marvel wanted to have a big ALAN MOORE trade out there.

He was the draw. Even if he actually had wanted his name taken off it.

C'est la vie.

In my opinion the best way to acquire all of the pre-Excalibur Cap material is in the Captain Britain Omnibus, and the two hardcover volumes Birth of a Legend and Siege of Camelot.

Sadly those are not cheap volumes, and only had limited print runs.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 12-19-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

I think it's just a Greatest Hits affair - repackage old material in a new collection for cash. The altering of CB #14 to include bits of MWoM does sound strange - I guess they felt they needed to wrap up the Jasper's Warp arc but couldn't find room for the final issue.

The only two collections that I know of that reprint the Dave Thorpe issues are the out of print Captain Britain Omnibus, and the equally out of print Captain Britain Volume 4: The Siege of Camelot.

Years ago I scanned in the Thorpe strip for someone here because they are so difficult to get hold of. I still have my scans, but Photobucket has become unusable these days unfortunately. I can see if I can get them up on Imgur if you like.

Edit: Ninja'd by Sword

I assume it's not on Marvel Unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    It is a little annoying that the Dave Thorpe issues aren't included in the Moore/Davis trade. But you can kind of understand why - Marvel wanted to have a big ALAN MOORE trade out there.

He was the draw. Even if he actually had wanted his name taken off it.
    Sure, I can't even blame them for that. Although the issues between Marvel and Alan Moore can be quite strange at times with, iirc, an accidental omission of his name being the big one.

In my opinion the best way to acquire all of the pre-Excalibur Cap material is in the Captain Britain Omnibus, and the two hardcover volumes Birth of a Legend and Siege of Camelot.
    I have the Hard Covers. What was the other thing?

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I have the Hard Covers. What was the other thing?

The two Hardcovers cover the early material. Things like Captain Britain Weekly, Super Spider-Man & Captain Britain (when the two titles were amalgamated) and the Black Knight and Captain Britain stories from the UK Hulk Comic.

The Captain Britain Omnibus was published a couple of years earlier. It basically covers from the start of that Dave Thorpe and Alan Davis relaunch right up to the final strips before Excalibur. And a few bonus strips which kinda tie-in. Stuff with some of the Warpies.

It's a cumbersome book. And I believe out of print. So getting your hands on it could prove pricey.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Yeah, it's currently $300 on Amazon. Shame because that's exactly what I was looking for.

Oh well, I think I basically have everything pre-Excalibur in four books of varying quality now.

Found a nice gem on YouTube. Dez Skinn on the creation of Captain Britain and his time at Marvel UK.