Page 42 of 212 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post

What I liked about MI13 was that Dane wasn't always in full armour, but he was always still the Black Knight. Always had the helmet. Always had the sword.

I've posted on this thread before (or probably its predecessor) but my ideal Dane would portrayed as a somewhat of a master-at-arms character. With a rotating armoury of different swords, shields and armours deployed for different scenarios and situations. I'd like to see him portrayed as the master swordsman of the Marvel Universe.

He'd obviously HAVE to keep the Ebony Blade on his person at all times, but some variation would be interesting. It's not always practical to be in full metal.

Agreed, I really wish Dane got focus he deserves. Plus I love the master of swordplay angle.

Go on then.....hey up! I'm Darren Wilson. I live in York in England (The Tour De France just went past the foot of my street!).

Have been a Marvel fan since about 4 years old when my Dad bought me Hulk Comic#20. On the cover were ghostly figures and a spectral horse but the foreground had a rather shocked gentleman ready for action all dressed in red. My Dad explained he was called Captain Britain. Now my old man was only about 23, 24 at the time and he's been a huge fan of the old Marvel 60's reprints in titles like Terrific, Pow, Fantastic and Smash.....so he was well versed in the MU but hadn't visited for a few years.

I remember he was just as excited as me about a British superhero. I know all about Spider-Man and Hulk as they were on telly in live action and cartoons but the comics were what pulled me in. When Star Wars grabbed my childhood mind the 'Marvel' on the cover of Star Wars Weekly didn't go unmissed by me....as well as the same of my other love - Doctor Who Weekly.

I didn't understand liscensing...to me they all existed together. And as Marvel UK had a habit of crossing over (Merlin in Doctor Who was the same one in Captain Britain) I saw them all as a whole (partly that's the remit of the Avengers UK project....see later...).

I read also titles like 2000AD and Warrior and so was steeped in Alan Moore classics...even if most of the time as a kid it either baffled or scared me. I would never let my folks know just how 'adult' some of those stories seemed. Secret Wars (the UK version) was my first real exposure to characters like the X-Men and Avengers...whom I fell in love with. It was around about this time that my Dad introduced me to his personal fave - Thor via a US copy of the mag by Walt Simonson.

It was like discovering the future! Those mags were FULL COLOUR and had ONE STORY all the way through and adverts for exotic confectionary we didn't then get in the UK. I couldn't understand why Captain Britain wasn't featured in those mags or why this Captain America bloke was ripping him off ;-). I was reading John Byrnes FF, Claremonts UXM and Millers DD....aaaahhh good times.

My passion for the UK newstand pulled me through the genius of the Transformers UK strips which seemed far superior to the US ones to me. I was always disappointed when the UK Transformers mag would revert back to the US reprints...the art of Goeff Senior, Dan Reed, Bryan Hitch, Jeff Anderson etc seem a lot more vibrant. The introduction of Death's Head only compounded this.

Death's Head.....who appeared in Doctor Who Magazine, Dragons Claws and then met the FF in his own title! It was here that I created my first comic called Galaxy Four that starred CB, The Doctor, Death's Head and Abslom Daak Dalek Killer.....something I hope to recreate one day!

Around this time I was given a huge stack of old Marvel reprints and caught up on virtually all those old silver age Stan Lee/Kirby/Ditko titles I'd missed!

I follwed CB and DH as they made the jump to the US monthlies so did I.....and immediately became disappointed with their use BUT fell in love with the new concept - the local comic shop! I raided the 50p bins and began reading Defenders, ROM, Godzilla, Howard the Duck, Tomb of Dracula and Master of Kung-Fu.

The nineties lost me for a while after the big Marvel UK boom and bust.....due to girls and....*eeeuurrggh* 'Britannic. I dipped in and out over the years then discovered Astonishing X-Men and the Ultimates in trade but it was Captain Britain and MI13 that pulled me back into the fold full time. I found this thread and Swords excellent blog and realised that I wasn't alone in my fandom!

However when Rick Remender butched CB for a new audience I felt the need to create the series I wanted to see and so www.facebook.com/avengersukbywillow began. The support and encouragement to continue this project from the people on here has spurred me on and I now have the honour of working with really talented people like IzzY World, Rich Green, Alan Green, Seb Carey, Nacho Moo and many others who are helping to create some semblance of exposure for these characters.

Loved Revolutionary War......but want more....as more isn't around...we'll bloody well make it ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    Very nice!

Yes, but thanks anyway.

Yes, I think your right.
    hey, that was me,
    I got it from a site called speadshirt.co.uk , it's a good site with lots of options, you can play around with the
    sizes, colours etc, I just searched 'eagle' and then 'circle' and mucked about with it for a while.

tumblr_mvbq5sucfD1r0nbmwo1_r1_500.jpg

I also did an original CB costume Lion design and a Quasar one.
    hope that helped.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Well, 'Hi' guys. Great to learn some more about you all.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by coolbeans74 View Post
    hey, that was me,
    I got it from a site called speadshirt.co.uk , it's a good site with lots of options, you can play around with the
    sizes, colours etc, I just searched 'eagle' and then 'circle' and mucked about with it for a while.

tumblr_mvbq5sucfD1r0nbmwo1_r1_500.jpg

I also did an original CB costume Lion design and a Quasar one.
    hope that helped.
    It was YOU! Excellent, Coolbeans. Really good work.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Faiza, Meggan and Pete are also on the cover of X-Force for September.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/pr...ty=1&oid=53490
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yeah, I was inserting the URL image via my phone late last night, and for some reason it just didn't want to appear.

Here, I'll try again now that I'm by my desktop:

Our "happy few" seem a little outnumbered, but then again we all know who are the more valiant and hardy.
    Considering how pretty much every Marvel UK 'hero' was supposed to now be part of MI13, there's a distinct lack of them on that cover...

Quote Originally Posted by Willow616 View Post
    Cheers mate......would have preferred a Digitek one-shot.
    Definitely. Shocking really!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    Big Union Jack fan here. Anybody else?

So who here is buying All New Invaders and more importantly which UJ fans are not? James Robinson has said he has plans for UJ (and Spitfire) so this is probably our best shot at seeing Joe Chapman (and Brian Falsworth has already shown up in flashback) on a regular basis.
    I hope so! UJ is my favourite non-MUK originated UK character! If that makes sense.

All-New Member

Okay, and me too.

I'm Chris, from Oxford, and am a big Doctor Who, Marvel UK & Transformers fan.

So, you can probably see how I got into MUK stuff already!
    Transformers UK comic was a staple in my house from the get go and so, I followed Death's Head into Doctor Who Magazine (DWM was a rare treat when I was small) and then into the wider Marvel Universe.

I managed to collect the Complete Spider-Man, X-Men & X-Force regularly in the early 90s and those events led me into the Marvel UK world, which I still love and champion.
    Reading back through old issues, I can see how awesome and, in some cases, over the top it was! It was a shame that it all vanished, especially with awesomeness such as Death's Head and Dark Guard, but I can see how it was easy for Marvel to led go of a lot of it.

Anyway, I started picking up more titles, mostly X-Men and Spider-Man stuff, but that tailed off to a stop when I got married.
    Now separated for over a year now, I've been fortunate enough (in context!) to start picking comics up again. I have really got on board with the Marvel Now! era and enjoying a lot of that (it passes the time, lol!).

But now I have three kids, one boy (4) really loving his Marvel stuff, so I have a little future Marvel-ite I can pass all my stuff onto in a few years (when he's old enough to read them!).
    My youngest daughter (3 next month) loves dressing up as Iron Man and my eldest daughter (6) recognises the first Thor movie as a love story, which I thought was very observant of her.

I don't come on here too often (time, rather than preference!), but I do try to keep up with what's going on.

Current faves are: Guardians of the Galaxy; Amazing Spider-Man; Thor; All-New X-Men & Nova (Transformers & The Walking Dead, for non-Marvel stuff).

Fave Marvel UK: Death's Head (I & II); Black Axe; Digitek; Union Jack & Dark Guard.

Is that enough?

Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Latest post on the GROWTH OF CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MARVEL UK covers Alan Moore's Daredevils run reintroducing Betsy, the fight against Slaymaster, The Special Executive and Saturnyne's Trial on Otherworld up the obliteration of Earth 238. Also the first real hints of the Captain Britain Corps with the introductions of CAPTAIN ENGLAND and CAPTAIN ALBION. Go check it out.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Now that I'm at home due to being under the weather, I have some time to write a few words about myself. I was born and bred in Halifax, West Yorkshire but have Polish blood coursing through my veins. In the 90s I moved to Poland and now live here with my wife, 2 sons (7 and 5), dog and 2 cats.

My brother and I seriously started collecting comics in the early 80s. For some reason, I decided that my favourite hero was Daredevil whereas my brother chose Spider-Man. I believe, we must have had some contact with Marvel comics earlier on as we had a general idea of who was who, although it's a little hazy. My first Marvel US comic was Daredevil #177 but I'm not quite sure which Marvel UK comic was first. I do know that we bought everything that was coming out at the time from Marvel UK and it was definitely a fertile time for them. This resulted in having complete Marvel UK runs of The Hulk, X-Men, Thor , Thing, amongst others. We also started to visit second hand book stores as well as the Piece Hall market for back issues. Our collection would therefore include brand new comics such as The Transformers and second hand ones in not always great shape such as Star Wars from the 70s.

At what point Captain Britain initially appeared in our lives is hard to say. I do know that whenever there was a mention in the form of a comic or an appearance, it grabbed our attention immediately. When The Daredevils comic came on the scene, I was pretty over the moon as it featured both Captain Britain and Daredevil. I was a little disappointed that it was in black and white and that CB still had "that new" costume. Although, I have to admit that the Alan Moore stories were pretty weird for me at the time. It was only much later that I came to appreciate these stories.

In the latter half of the 80s, my brother and I decided that we were too old for comics and we made a conscious decision to stop all comic purchases forthwith. Fortunately, we kept the comics, and my brother ended up giving me all of his.

Fast forward to 2011. The Marvel movies are extremely popular and I spot the Marvel Encyclopedia on amazon.co.uk and decide to purchase it. This leads to me obtaining the Marvel Chronicle and Civil War OHC. I then quite rapidly returned to the Marvel Universe by purchasing various oversized collections. This also included me grabbing probably the last Captain Britain Omnibus available in Poland at just below cover price and also the 2 fantastic Captain Britain OHCs “Birth of a Legend” and “Siege of Camelot”. I would also scour various events for Captain Britain and be pretty annoyed to see him get pushed aside such as in AvX. In addition to trades, I also started purchasing various single issues.

It was reading the Guardians of the Galaxy, where I saw Iron Man's (or should I say Bendis) snide remark about Captain Britain which in turn got me pretty riled up. Following this, I googled the internet for what people were saying about this particularly unfortunate remark. And by googling, I came upon this fantastic thread. I had already joined the Marvel Omnibus/Hardcover thread earlier, as I’m a big fan of oversized hardcover collections. I believe it was Willow who first responded to my post regarding the Iron Man/Bendis comment. I have to say that you’re a wonderful bunch of people here on the Captain Britain/MI13 (Britain Prevails) thread and I definitely feel there is a respect for one other. Anyway, as I’m at home recuperating, I dug out several old Marvel UK single issues and took a few pics. Hopefully, I’ll put up a few shortly

For starters, a Captain Britain Special:

DSC_0329.jpg

Followed by the very first Marvel UK comic ever, The Mighty World of Marvel from 1972. Not in the greatest shape, but that's how we got it from a friend. Next to it is the reboot of the Mighty World of Marvel i.e. #1 of Marvel SuperHeroes from 1979.

CSC_0346.jpg

A couple more Marvel UK Number Ones - Blockbuster and Incredible Hulk:

DSC_0343.jpg
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 07-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Something for you Marvel UK Science Fiction fans.

The Transformers #1 from 1984:

DSC_0333.jpg

The Transformers #2 and a Doctor Who Summer Special:

CSC_0348.jpg

Star Wars #1 from 1978 and Return of the Jedi #1 from 1983:

CSC_0347.jpg

Star Wars #1 from 1978 and Return of the Jedi #1 from 1983:

CSC_0347.jpg

Star Wars comic : 10p !! Oh how things have changed.... (I had that issue !!)
    For more CAPTAIN BRITAIN and MARVEL UK action - see the FREE fan-fiction comic - AVENGERS UK - see https://www.facebook.com/avengersukbywillow

Quote Originally Posted by IzzY World View Post
    Star Wars comic : 10p !! Oh how things have changed.... (I had that issue !!)

It's bizarre to think of just how much prices have shot up in the past couple of decades alone. Even for reprints.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

For starters, a Captain Britain Special:

DSC_0329.jpg
    Yeah! Thats the first Cap I ever read (well after it came out mind you). Someone had left loads of Eagle and general comics in the house my parents moved in to.

It's hard to remember my very first Captain Britain contact. In my mind, though it was always this:

Like several others I did not read this at release (It pre-dates my birth by 2 years) but rather it was picked up at a Jumble Sale in the mid 80s. My dad was a Deputy Head Teacher of a Junior School. I was dragged to A LOT of Jumble Sales... But the positive side was it was always possible to pick up Comics at those events, comics which my local newsagent didn't stock. God knows their range was limited.

Weirdly, yes, I came to Captain Britain via a fascination with Spider-man. I'd previously found a few issues of the Super Spider-man series. I was looking for more. And that's when I found Super Spider-man and Captain Britain. The concept of a strip which actually featured the Country I lived in (God knows I never really connected with New York - seemed too distant, and unlikely I'd ever even visit it) blew my tiny mind. I hunted for more issues over time, and that was me hooked.
    It Came From Darkmoor...