Page 211 of 212 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212 LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3171

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    So, thoughts on the first issue of the Union?
    I liked it.

I mean it wasn’t perfect but there’s potential there.

Astonishing Member

So, thoughts on the first issue of the Union?
    I enjoyed it, though I feel because it is starting in a tie-in to event not a lot will buy it like Secret Warriors (Inhuman team), another comic I really liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I enjoyed it, though I feel because it is starting in a tie-in to event not a lot will buy it like Secret Warriors (Inhuman team), another comic I really liked.
    That’s true.

I’m only in because I’m a Union Jack fan. I’ve zero interest in the event. The new characters seem okay though. Just off this issue if the creative team was committed to more than 5 issues I’d keep reading.

I liked it. Don't give two damns about the event, but will continue reading the Union for the characters.

The Union started out way too gung ho British, so it felt too parochial. Didn’t like it. But once the overly patriotic vanilla was over in the flag game, this was a really great King in Black opening gambit. Britannia jumping in the the fray immediately, and the gravitas of the sudden destructive immediacy of the attack caused by the dragon, was more like the first issue of a series I wanted.

I was undecided about the first 18 pages, but they stuck the ending.

I was disappointed that we barely got to know the new characters and there was no "coming together" of the team - they were just created for PR.

Astonishing Member

While some kind of “strike back” against Betsy isn’t unsurprising; surely by now everyone in-universe has caught on to the fact that state-sponsored/PR superhero teams are notoriously difficult to actually control

And, admitting my own national bias, I find it unlikely that the British government would pick a guy like Snakes for a PR gig (assuming his colour scheme has any connection to a community affiliation)

The colour schemes don't match the countries. Wales has a green and white flag with a red dragon on it, Scotland's is a white cross on a blue background, England's is a red cross on a white background, and Northern Ireland's is the same but with an emblem in the middle. Only Britannia, who represents the whole UK, has the right colours, the red, white and blue of the Union Flag. England's representative, Union Jack, has a costume based on that flag, so it includes Scotland's blue and not just the English colours. The other three don't match at all.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-04-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I mean the Orange lining to Snakes’ costume. The colour that’s not officially related to Northern Ireland, but...

The point remains that any superhero from Northern Ireland, once put in the spotlight, becomes as much of a potential PR nightmare as Captain Britain serving Krakoa

Astonishing Member

If not colours use of symbols could work.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I loved the first issue! Hope it sales well enough to get an ongoing or another mini.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I mean the Orange lining to Snakes’ costume. The colour that’s not officially related to Northern Ireland, but...

The point remains that any superhero from Northern Ireland, once put in the spotlight, becomes as much of a potential PR nightmare as Captain Britain serving Krakoa
    It seems like they could be trying to be representative of both. Snakes being a reference to St Patrick for the Catholics and orange being a colour for the Protestants. Although, in reality, he can only be a representative to one or the other given the divide between the two faiths in the North of Ireland.

Overall I thought the issue is good. A lot of it focused on Union Jack, as the most well known character, and I haven’t read much with him in it so I didn’t initially have much interest. He seems fine. I’d have liked a little more information on the other characters but that should come in the subsequent four issues. In terms of similarity, I think Agents of Atlas did a better job at setting up its cast but I’ll still read this whole miniseries to see how it goes.

Hi everyone Merry Christmas!

I was wondering if there was anything about the powers and abilities of Otherworlders, such as Brian's father that wasn't from their suits due to them being a race of people?

I thought that they maybe like all of the other pantheons?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu666 View Post
    Hi everyone Merry Christmas!

I was wondering if there was anything about the powers and abilities of Otherworlders, such as Brian's father that wasn't from their suits due to them being a race of people?

I thought that they maybe like all of the other pantheons?
    It's all very confused. In the story that first revealed that Brian and Betsy were of Otherworld descent it was said that they had Otherworld power within them, and the suggestion was that this was what powered the suits. Then of course Brian discovered that he didn't need the suit, and in fact he had become more powerful without it. And I wasn't sure that there wasn't some suggestion that Brian's psychokiller parallel counterpart had some level of telepathic power. Frankly, as much as I love Alan Davis, he was terribly inconsistent when it came to powers and continuity, imo.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

For research purposes: do you consider Brian Braddock a legacy character in the same vein as Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Jane Thor, Kyle Rayner, Captain Marvel, etc.?