Page 151 of 212 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3171

Apocalypse never called Psylocke anything other then Psylocke so I'm wondering if Marvel could get away with using her as Betsy Braddock...

Her rights surely must be in the same scenario as Quicksilver. Fox can showcase her powers and call her a mutant, but not her relationship to Captain Britain, while Marvel can only use the Marvel UK material, before she joined the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    The fact that this comes from Feige himself gives this far more credibility. To know that they have at least discussed it is very positive indeed.
    Great news. Now he has to hire you as a consultant so he gets CB right!

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If they're considering giving him a movie, why does he not have a comic?

Well, I wouldn't jump to the immediate conclusion of a movie in his own right. But I'd expect the plausibility of a supporting role in a couple of other movies. To test the response to him and build things up.

A comic though, is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by coolbeans74 View Post
    the bit i was most interested in from the interview is that they said actors have actually asked about the possibility
    of Playing Cap, i'd love to know who?

speaking of which, who would you choose? just for the part of Captain Britain?

In my opinion, at this point, you'd need to go with somebody who will look comparable in age to the likes of Rogers and Stark. Not a guy in his 20s. You know?

My personal favoured option remain somebody like Jamie Bamber, or at a push (I know he's not British but...) Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    My one worry about them giving Brian a movie is that it guarantees the end of his relationship with Meggan in the comics. They're one of the few surviving married couples now, partly because of their relative lack of comic screen time, but her being a mutant makes it unlikely she could ever appear in a MCU movie. Same with Betsy unless things are changed significantly.

There are ways around that. I would assume necessarily that it would mean an end to that. Any movie (and that remains a bit of a stretch right now) could easily feature both Meggan and Courtney Ross, for example. If you're telling a story from scratch you don't HAVE to do things exactly as they were in comics. There is poetic license for who you pair people with.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Meggan could easily be retconned as being from Otherworld instead of a mutant (was she even called a mutant before Excalibur?) and a blonde/white Betsy could just be a regular human ex-SHIELD agent...

Meggan actually WAS called a mutant before Excalibur. She's pretty much the only Marvel UK character of that period who actually was. That was a rarity back in those days.

But even then, in her second appearance the line which was used by her friend was to the effect that she believed she was 'one of those mutants, like they have in America'.

There is wriggle room that this could have been an assumed fact, I suppose. Seeing mutants in the States and assuming Meggan was one too. Because Meggan did not follow the usual path for developing powers. Mutants generally do that during puberty, but Meggan was a shapeshifter from birth.

There are a handful of mutants who have also had that manifest at birth. Nightcrawler, for example. Jamie Madrox another. At one point Peter David was starting to explore that during his second run on X-Factor, using the term 'Killcrop' to classify that type of Mutant. Sadly (at least to my knowledge) that never went any further.

I think it would be worthwhile keeping Meggan away from Otherworld directly though. A being from that dimension seems a little too contrived to me.

But there's no reason she couldn't be in a more indirect fashion. Like of we were to establish that she was in some part Faerie. Maybe even retcon in a family connection to Oberon or somebody. Like the illegitimate daughter of. I mean the king of the fairies must have HAD dalliances.

But yes, you could easily explain away her mutancy. And it would be favorable to the comics to mirror that. That kind of origin would actually make a lot more sense as to why she came into this world with fur, and the ability to change her shape. These were talents the feyfolk have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Apocalypse never called Psylocke anything other then Psylocke so I'm wondering if Marvel could get away with using her as Betsy Braddock...

I would point out that the "Psylocke" name was only added to Betsy upon her joining the X-Men. Well, technically upon her X-Men debut in that New Mutants Annual.

There's a good ten years of Captain Britain stores in which Elizabeth 'Betsy' Braddock appears as a supporting character before any X-Men connection. During that time she is not a mutant. It is never mentioned. It is not a thing.

In fact I'm almost certain that she is never directly identified as a mutant for as long as Chris Claremont was writing his initial X-Men run.

Besty Braddock, as a blonde model and later intelligence worker, should be allowable for Marvel Studios. It's another Quicksliver and Scarlet Witch situation. A decade of stories predates any X-Men connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Her rights surely must be in the same scenario as Quicksilver. Fox can showcase her powers and call her a mutant, but not her relationship to Captain Britain, while Marvel can only use the Marvel UK material, before she joined the X-Men.

Yes. Exactly this. As long as they reference only how she was up to the end of Jamie Delano's run I can see no reason why they couldn't.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 06-29-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    Great news. Now he has to hire you as a consultant so he gets CB right!

Ha. I barely even blog these days. I'm pretty sure I'm off Marvel's radar.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Fantastic Member

Meggan actually WAS called a mutant before Excalibur. She's pretty much the only Marvel UK character of that period who actually was. That was a rarity back in those days.

But even then, in her second appearance the line which was used by her friend was to the effect that she believed she was 'one of those mutants, like they have in America'.

There is wriggle room that this could have been an assumed fact, I suppose.
    If it was just the statement by Josie Scott, then yes. But we also have Agent Gabriel of RCX, who scanned her with an analyser before saying she was a mutant. The same analyser correctly identified Gatecrasher and the Technet as non-Terrestrial, and Gabriel also identified the Warpies as being magically mutated. Given his other identifications were all 100% accurate, and that unlike other scientists he doesn't just discount magic, I think his proclamation can be trusted.

Seeing mutants in the States and assuming Meggan was one too. Because Meggan did not follow the usual path for developing powers. Mutants generally do that during puberty, but Meggan was a shapeshifter from birth.

There are a handful of mutants who have also had that manifest at birth. Nightcrawler, for example. Jamie Madrox another. At one point Peter David was starting to explore that during his second run on X-Factor, using the term 'Killcrop' to classify that type of Mutant. Sadly (at least to my knowledge) that never went any further.
    There's nothing genetic to distinguish a Killcrop from other mutants - they just have their powers kick in early. There's a fair few more than Jamie and Kurt - for example, Mandrill and Nekra would both count if Kurt counts.

I think it would be worthwhile keeping Meggan away from Otherworld directly though. A being from that dimension seems a little too contrived to me.

But there's no reason she couldn't be in a more indirect fashion. Like of we were to establish that she was in some part Faerie. Maybe even retcon in a family connection to Oberon or somebody. Like the illegitimate daughter of. I mean the king of the fairies must have HAD dalliances.
    I really, really dislike this idea. Making her related to Oberon would be a direct link to Otherworld, which you said you would prefer to avoid. We've already got Tink, who I'd prefer to see used more rather than retconning Meggan into something she wasn't intended to be. And I actively dislike the "path of least resistance/oh, it was always obvious if only you'd read (badly) between the lines to see the hints the prior writers (really were not) dropping" retcon - that's what got Ken Crichton turned into a terminally ill man, Nightcrawler a demonic-looking father, caused Angel and Jay Guthrie to go from being simply winged mutants to members of an angelic mutant subspecies who all had healing blood, had Wolverine turn out to be a Lupine subspecies rather than a mutant (until it was thankfully retconned out again). And it nearly got us alcoholic Captain Britain. Please, let's not pander to the "I always (mis)read it that way, so I want the writers to make my (inaccurate) version canon" crowd. Doubly so when her origin made it clear that she suffered abuse from others who wrongly assumed her to be some sort of monster or changeling. Confirming that those bigots were right in their identification would be a retrograde step.

But yes, you could easily explain away her mutancy. And it would be favorable to the comics to mirror that. That kind of origin would actually make a lot more sense as to why she came into this world with fur, and the ability to change her shape. These were talents the feyfolk have.
    In the movies, I could see the need, given the rights situation. But no way do I want the comics to mirror that. She didn't come into the world with fur - it was an important story point for her that she came in looking normal, but that she grew fur.

Surely Mad Jim too?!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    Surely Mad Jim too?!
    Two would still count as rare.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The big question would be what villains to go with. If Jim Jaspers is off the cards I would still love to see the Fury realized on screen, and they could consider the Marvel version of Morgan Le Fay. If they weren't evidently tied to the X-Men licence I could also imagine the N'Garai as monsters for Brian and company to fight.

BANNED

I've posted about this elsewhere. Even a few dozen pages back. But the way Psylocke's rights work is EVERYTHING related to her Including and POST New Mutants annual #2 is owned by Marvel.
    The hair, the Eurasian Look, the Telekinetic weapons, etc. They can call her Elizabeth Braddock AND Psylocke, using anything related to that time.

Marvel UK actually OWNS everything Captain Britain related up until their inclusion in New Mutants Annual #2.
    Meaning Elizabeth Braddock can be white or any other non Ethnically Japanese or Chinese race. She cannot be called Psylocke, But she would still have everything else Psylocke related including the Purple hair.
    So the reason they can talk about it in the MCU is that Marvel own Marvel UK, and not FOX.

So again She will never be an asian woman in the Captain Britain series or movies. If you only like asian Psylocke, then X-men films or shows for you. If you like the White version, or want a version related to Captain Britain, then yes she can LEGALLY appear in the MCu with much of the same powerset and personality.

BANNED

The big question would be what villains to go with. If Jim Jaspers is off the cards I would still love to see the Fury realized on screen, and they could consider the Marvel version of Morgan Le Fay. If they weren't evidently tied to the X-Men licence I could also imagine the N'Garai as monsters for Brian and company to fight.
    Dr. Synne. Mad Jim. The Vixen, Whirlwind, Black Air, Otherworld Villains, alternate dimensional foes, The Crazy Gang, etc. He's got a ton of good foes to tangle with.
    Last edited by Tazirai; 06-29-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Whirlwind
    I think you mean Hurricane.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I think you mean Hurricane.
    My D'OH is real. /bows

If it was just the statement by Josie Scott, then yes. But we also have Agent Gabriel of RCX, who scanned her with an analyser before saying she was a mutant. The same analyser correctly identified Gatecrasher and the Technet as non-Terrestrial, and Gabriel also identified the Warpies as being magically mutated. Given his other identifications were all 100% accurate, and that unlike other scientists he doesn't just discount magic, I think his proclamation can be trusted.

Ah. You are correct there. Something I confess I had forgotten.

There's nothing genetic to distinguish a Killcrop from other mutants - they just have their powers kick in early. There's a fair few more than Jamie and Kurt - for example, Mandrill and Nekra would both count if Kurt counts.

Yes. I'd very much like to have seen where that story might have led. There aren't too many loose threads from the X-Factor Investigation years. But that one has bugged me. A story begun, but never fleshed out.

I really, really dislike this idea. Making her related to Oberon would be a direct link to Otherworld, which you said you would prefer to avoid. We've already got Tink, who I'd prefer to see used more rather than retconning Meggan into something she wasn't intended to be. And I actively dislike the "path of least resistance/oh, it was always obvious if only you'd read (badly) between the lines to see the hints the prior writers (really were not) dropping" retcon - that's what got Ken Crichton turned into a terminally ill man, Nightcrawler a demonic-looking father, caused Angel and Jay Guthrie to go from being simply winged mutants to members of an angelic mutant subspecies who all had healing blood, had Wolverine turn out to be a Lupine subspecies rather than a mutant (until it was thankfully retconned out again).

Whoa! I wouldn't say it's on those kind of levels.

I was just throwing ideas out there. I grant that one's not so well fleshed out.

I guess what I mean by 'not part of Otherworld' is not a lost native of. Not 100% genetically of that place. Not another Jackdaw.

I have no problem with weaving any character into British folklore in other senses. If anything I'd like to see a more prevalent folklore vibe added to parts of Marvel's Britain. Not in a corny, Hollywood interpreted way. More like the vibe we had from the original Knights of Pendragon series.

I concede that using Oberon may not be ideal for that. He is established as an Otherworld entity. But in some ways I think that could offer some interesting options. It wouldn't require the erasing of Tink. It would be interesting to see how she might react to an illegitimate sister (I'm suspecting NOT WELL) and it could be an interesting way to introduce and shape the feyfolk in a Marvel comics context.

And it nearly got us alcoholic Captain Britain. Please, let's not pander to the "I always (mis)read it that way, so I want the writers to make my (inaccurate) version canon" crowd.

Valid.

Doubly so when her origin made it clear that she suffered abuse from others who wrongly assumed her to be some sort of monster or changeling. Confirming that those bigots were right in their identification would be a retrograde step.

I get what you mean. But there would need to be some kind of explanation as to how/why she was a shapechanger which did not involve an X-Gene. Something more than human. Something ideally from British folklore.

In the movies, I could see the need, given the rights situation. But no way do I want the comics to mirror that. She didn't come into the world with fur - it was an important story point for her that she came in looking normal, but that she grew fur.

Fur developed (presumably) for warmth. A change triggered by her surroundings and internal will to survive. But does that particular change and powerset require her to be a mutant? I don't believe so. As a mutant she is atypical. I can't help feeling that there has to be some alternative here which wouldn't damage the character.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    Surely Mad Jim too?!

Yes. But like I say, rare.

I suppose Morgan Le Fey is plausible. They haven't interacted in what some folks might think as being hugely memorable ways, but they certainly aren't unknown to each other.

The last occasion I believe would be on Chuck Austen's Avengers - where Brian and Meggan empowered Kelsey Leigh to be the new Earth 616 Captain to help defeat her.

Sat-yr-9 would definitely be a good option if we were going to start doing multiverse stories. Though maybe not as a first option. You'd probably want to establish Courtney Ross first. The strongest moment of Sat-yr-9's story was in killing Courtney, and taking over her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    So again She will never be an asian woman in the Captain Britain series or movies. If you only like asian Psylocke, then X-men films or shows for you. If you like the White version, or want a version related to Captain Britain, then yes she can LEGALLY appear in the MCu with much of the same powerset and personality.

Yes. And actually, I think that there is infinitely more potential with THAT version of Betsy. I would want all 3 Braddock siblings at the heart of any movie. Whether that would be before or after the death of their parents, I don't know. But it's a potentially strong dynamic which is absolutely worth exploring.
    It Came From Darkmoor...