Page 199 of 212 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 3171

The Irish Free State didn't exist until 1922, so in World War I, it was part of the UK.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Doesn’t change the use of the Donegal Pass or sending weather reports to the UK in World War II (despite their “neutrality”). I’m not saying it’s a thing that would happen. They’ll likely have two English characters, and then a Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish one. I’m just pointing out that co-operation on the basis of military needs has happened before.

Astonishing Member

I think there’s enough of a minefield doing a NI character who might break from Marvel’s usual approach to the place without getting into the cultural blind spot we seem to Occasionally generate with British writers

I'm quite excited to see that the cover is continuing the Marvel US tradition of colouring parts of the union-jack-wearing hero's costume wrong. Who knows what exciting colour variations Union Jack will display inside the issue?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Doesn’t change the use of the Donegal Pass or sending weather reports to the UK in World War II (despite their “neutrality”). I’m not saying it’s a thing that would happen. They’ll likely have two English characters, and then a Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish one. I’m just pointing out that co-operation on the basis of military needs has happened before.
    Yes of course close nations will help or hate each other, but if the team is meant to represent the UK it will have to be with UK members or those that fall under it like the iles of Man.

So yes in this we might see some RoI super heroes needing to team up with them to face a common for but being full members, no.

where is Faiza Hussain, and her sword?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm quite excited to see that the cover is continuing the Marvel US tradition of colouring parts of the union-jack-wearing hero's costume wrong.
    Are you suggesting Marvel might get the colours wrong? They'd never do that, never!
    uj.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    where is Faiza Hussain, and her sword?
    Her sword was last seen with her in the last two issues of JANE FOSTER: VALKYRIE where Faiza guest starred.

If you're asking where she is in this EMPYRE tie-in, that is unknown at this point. Aside from Union Jack it looks like the group may be entirely new characters. Where established heroes like Faiza, Spitfire, Mighty Destroyer, etc, will be during the event has not been touched on as of yet.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I’m getting a total hangman/executioner vibe from the hooded guy.

Cornwall being absent makes sense, it’s a county not a country. I know they were a kingdom and have a very specific culture but that was awhile ago. England will represent them since it rules them.

Republic of Ireland or Gibraltar would make more sense for representation: being countries.

Looks like a mindless one to me but i'm not quite sure that would square with the idea of each of the members of the team being from a different part of the UK with mindless ones coming from an entirely different dimension and all.

I'll pick this up but I'd personally prefer that they simply wrote the characters we already have better, before thinking about bringing about new ones.

I realise that seems to be an outrageously unfashionable idea these days, but it's how I feel. I hope these characters are good and all, but truthfully? I'd far rather pick up a British team book featuring character we've already invested in. The odds say that these characters will be added to the scrap pile of not-quite-popular-enough ones in, oh about 6 months.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

THE UNION Brings Together Heroes From All Over the UNITED KINGDOM

....Along with classic Marvel character Union Jack, the team is comprised of Britannia (the spritual embodiment of Britain), Northern Irish hero Snakes, Welsh hero The Choir, and Scotland's Kelpie....

For more info:

https://www.newsarama.com/49106-the-...d-kingdom.html

Good to see Paul Grist, a Brit at the helm, and a fellow Yorkshireman to boot. He also seems to be a big fan of Union Jack which is promising.

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I'll pick this up but I'd personally prefer that they simply wrote the characters we already have better, before thinking about bringing about new ones.

I realise that seems to be an outrageously unfashionable idea these days, but it's how I feel. I hope these characters are good and all, but truthfully? I'd far rather pick up a British team book featuring character we've already invested in. The odds say that these characters will be added to the scrap pile of not-quite-popular-enough ones in, oh about 6 months.
    It's a five issue mini anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

THE UNION #1 (OF 5)
    PAUL GRIST (W) • Andrea Di Vito (A) • Cover by R.B. Silva
    Variant Cover by Ema Lupacchino
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY R.B. SILVA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    EMPYRE VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    The grand unveiling of The Union! A team of super heroes gathered from all over the United Kingdom, featuring Union Jack, Snakes, Kelpie, Choir, and their fearless leader, Brittania! But when disaster strikes on their first public debut, in the form of the invasion of Empyre, the fledgling team is immediately pushed to their limits! Don’t miss out on an exciting new chapter of Marvel from legendary creators, Paul Grist (JUDGE DREDD, JACK STAFF) and Andrea Di Vito!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

EXCALIBUR #11
    TINI HOWARD (W) • MARCUS TO (A) • Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    BLOOD OF THE CHANGELING!
    The Citadel has committed an act of war and Excalibur must respond. While they lick their wounds deep in Otherworld, Apocalypse takes steps toward his ultimate goal.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

BANNED

Two UK team books

What a time to be alive