Page 145 of 212 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3171

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    Yeah, fair enough - I'll stop griping. I just want a DH appearance that adds something to a story and highlights the character himself, y'know?

Between not appearing at all and damning with faint praise I would actually take not appearing at all, as I think the latter lowers his stock.
    I loved the way Simonson used him in the Fantastic Four's Time Bubble arc - he wrote him well, he drew him well, and I think the fight between the good-guys and the Kangs is probably in my top ten comic fight-sequences ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu666 View Post
    Well he does have his force field, that he has used as a weapon on a few times. Plus i've got a few ideas on his power set.
    I miss his force-field. And if he did need a weapon he could probably get his hands on a Star-Sceptre from the corps or build his own. It might actually be cool to see him forge a sword with magic and technology, though as always with swords they're pretty useless if the character isn't allowed to kill people.
    Last edited by Panic; 04-26-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I miss his force-field. And if he did need a weapon he could probably get his hands on a Star-Sceptre from the corps or build his own. It might actually be cool to see him forge a sword with magic and technology, though as always with swords they're pretty useless if the character isn't allowed to kill people.
    That's true about the sword, maybe there is another world invasion, in where it's kill or be killed. Plus with the Star-Sceptre I think would be good, as it would allow us to see more of what it could, since we didn't get the full scope of what it could do. What do you think?
    Last edited by Tatsu666; 04-26-2017 at 03:29 PM.

BANNED

Just popped in to say that I read the Captain Britain Omnibus recently and would have to say it was even better than I remembered. The material has aged surprisingly well, unlike it's sequel, Excalibur.

I still think the Alan Davis uniform that Cap had from 1981-1989 is one of the coolest looking uniforms I've seen on page.

Here's hoping a new Captain Britain, MI-13 or Excalibur book materializes one of these days. And preferably with a solid creative team.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Hi everyone. I was just wondering about CB. What do you all think of if Brian where to wear battle armour and had a weapon or more? It could be from anything or anywhere. Something he could wear it for major battles?

As a rare, purpose built suit, maybe. But really his natural physicality doesn't really need it. I think that one of the central reasons we don't really see the forcefield any more is that ovwer the years it's kind of become redundant. When you've got god-like levels of strength and sturdiness it would only be there for aesthetic purposes.

Though a sword is not implausible. Providing we don't muddy the waters by pretending it's Excalibur again.

What I was talking about, was like the sword and shield Dane had the Sword of Light and the Shield of Night. And also the armour that Albion wears, the alternate Brian who chose the sword. Or how about he builds himself a set of armour and weapon/s?

Oh, I know what you mean. It could look kind of cool. But I think you'd need to fudge a scientific plot based reason for why he's never had to use it before.

Though like I say a sword could be cool. I like the motif and and artifacts of the Captain Britain mythos.

Sword of Might
    Amulet of Right

Brian has kind of become the exception to the rule. He may have chosen the amulet, but he has also wielded the Sword. Using either could be interesting, if a writer chose to define their powers and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I love the terminology. Exactly who are these "collectors" that are sitting around waiting for reprints?

Panini have been using that term since the 90s. It's a bit bizarre. I like what they do - three US issues to one 'collectors edition'. They a great gateway book into Marvel. Well, as much as anything can be these days. They're always a year or so behind continuity and, well... continuity is so freeform since Secret Wars anyway.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

That's true about the sword, maybe there is another world invasion, in where it's kill or be killed. Plus with the Star-Sceptre I think would be good, as it would allow us to see more of what it could, since we didn't get the full scope of what it could do. What do you think?
    Even his old staff's capabilities weren't fully explored:

Seriously, what kind of guy doesn't press all the buttons on a gadget in the first 10 minutes?

But anyway, we never saw that vibro-blast again, did we? I wonder what the fourth button did?

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    Just popped in to say that I read the Captain Britain Omnibus recently and would have to say it was even better than I remembered. The material has aged surprisingly well, unlike it's sequel, Excalibur.
    Yeah the CB strip from the eighties is still one of my favourites - that kind of balance of drama, absurdist humour and gritty horror still works. I kind of wish the book was in black and white or had better colouring (Saturnyne with grey hair? What was the colourist thinking?), but at least the oversized pages match the original size of the printing.

Excalibur looks great, but Claremont's writing is past its prime, plus CB is portrayed as an oaf which is something of a turn-off for me.

I still think the Alan Davis uniform that Cap had from 1981-1989 is one of the coolest looking uniforms I've seen on page.
    Davis' CB uniform design is good, with the helmet/mask being the stand-out. A bit tricky to draw if you're not the art-god Davis is, though.

Here's hoping a new Captain Britain, MI-13 or Excalibur book materializes one of these days. And preferably with a solid creative team
    I'd love to see a CB/Excalibur/MI:13 book by a British creative team but I don't know who.

Seriously, what kind of guy doesn't press all the buttons on a gadget in the first 10 minutes?
    a proper scientist who knows that's dangerous? Granted, yes, he should've experimented but just randomly mashing buttons on something you don't know what it is, is dangerous. randomly mashing buttons never works unless you're playing an arcade game and don't know the controls.

I'd love Al Ewing to write a CB or MI13 series.
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    a proper scientist who knows that's dangerous? Granted, yes, he should've experimented but just randomly mashing buttons on something you don't know what it is, is dangerous. randomly mashing buttons never works unless you're playing an arcade game and don't know the controls.

I'd love Al Ewing to write a CB or MI13 series.

I like Ewing's work, a lot. But I'm not so keen on his long time want for Faiza to be Captain Britain.

Marvel continually muddies and blurs the rules of the Captain Britain mythos so frequently. Faiza not only already has powers of her own, but also wields Excalibur. Neither of those things have ever been properly explored in their own right (there wasn't really the time on Captain Britain & MI13) and making her a Captain would become another distraction from that.

It wouldn't really allow for the deeper exploration (and clarification) which the whole Captain Britain mythos has been needing for a good many years now, either.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Hey guys, is this thread still alive? If I asked a question or two, would anybody here it? And if not, have I even asked it?!! :O

Fire away!

AJW, this thread is a catch-all for all Marvel UK happenings. Appearances of characters first introduced in the UK comics, appreciation of those characters, re-releases of that material, or anything that's actually published in Britain (there used to be UK/Panini originated content featuring US characters, but that's banned now. There are British creators working for Marvel US though). Basically, if it's to do with the UK, it can go here.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW009 View Post
    Hey guys, is this thread still alive? If I asked a question or two, would anybody here it? And if not, have I even asked it?!! :O

I think we're still alive. It's just we keep on getting kicked further and further down the pages in the past few years. Ever since other sub-forums were merged in the Marvel Universe forum (and even that was quite a long while ago now) the traffic has sped up.

I'll also admit to being a bit of a lapsed poster this year. I'm no longer buying Marvel regularly so I find it harder to interact.

Ask away, though. Seriously. We don't bite.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Yep, we CB and UK fans are still here. Just hasn't been a lot to post about since Marvel isn't putting anything new out.

I would pay big money for a CB and Meggan book centered on Otherworld by Hickman/Coipel
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Thanks for the responses guys! Most appreciated! If I wanted to find a Marvel club or similar club in my area, would this be the right place then, given I am a UK resident? And if not, please do direct me to the right place, even if it's not this webisite. I'm disabled and very lonely and isolated, and so am rather keen for information.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Thanks for the responses guys! Most appreciated! If I wanted to find a Marvel club or similar club in my area, would this be the right place then, given I am a UK resident? And if not, please do direct me to the right place, even if it's not this webisite. I'm disabled and very lonely and isolated, and so am rather keen for information.
    I would say this is the place. But it can't hurt to check other sites.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

It wouldn't be a bad place to try. There are Marvel UK Facebook groups also. I've kind of become by-proxy administrator for the Make Mine Marvel UK facebook group, since Simon Williams wanted to take break from it.

I think the others have pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why there doesn't seem to be as much interest as there was, say, 5 years back. No regular or ongoing appearances for Marvel UK characters in modern Marvel.

When I first started this thread, 4 iterations ago, it began as a Captain Britain & MI13 appreciation thread. But as we started talking more an more about other Marvel UK characters and properties we kept the 'Britain Prevails!' part and dropped the Captain Britain specific component.

For those of us who still remember the days of ACTUAL Marvel UK there's a lot less avenues for the characters we have vested interests in. And even Marvel UK's largest contribution to the the former Marvel Universe (the identifier of Earth 616) has been retconned out since Secret Wars.
    It Came From Darkmoor...