Page 107 of 212 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 3171
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Don't be so literal. I was calling her a fairy in jest. since she is half human and half other world. NOT a literal fey creature.
    I have to be literal about such things. Ideas spread. Your jest gets picked up by another reader who takes it seriously; they add it to a wiki site that Betsy is half fairy; other wiki sites blindly copy it; a pro writer reads it and thinks this is already established as being in continuity and so uses it in the comics, thus messing up continuity with an unintended retcon. And if that sounds unlikely to you, it isn't - I know of at least two instances where bad wiki information made it into the comics.

On her gaining powers at a younger age and being a model, is a literal disrespect and lack of knowledge on the part of Sam Humphries, which NOBODY acknowledges.
    He seriously ignored Herbe Trimpe, and Claremonts history of Psylocke before she had anything to do with super powers. Which she didn't gain until she was biologically 26, then joining the X-men 4 years later.
    Which is why I hate when writers ignore a characters established history and tries to change things. Which is a reason so many writers ignore what Humphries did to her.
    I'd agree that it was a lack of knowledge on Sam Humphries part, but not a disrespect - disrespect would be knowing the established continuity, then deliberately ignoring it just to put your own stamp on things (which is not the same as retconning something with a good story reason for doing so and an explanation of why what we thought we knew wasn't actually the case, to help the retcon fit in).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I have to be literal about such things. Ideas spread. Your jest gets picked up by another reader who takes it seriously; they add it to a wiki site that Betsy is half fairy; other wiki sites blindly copy it; a pro writer reads it and thinks this is already established as being in continuity and so uses it in the comics, thus messing up continuity with an unintended retcon. And if that sounds unlikely to you, it isn't - I know of at least two instances where bad wiki information made it into the comics.

I'd agree that it was a lack of knowledge on Sam Humphries part, but not a disrespect - disrespect would be knowing the established continuity, then deliberately ignoring it just to put your own stamp on things (which is not the same as retconning something with a good story reason for doing so and an explanation of why what we thought we knew wasn't actually the case, to help the retcon fit in).
    Her history still didn't happen that way, which is a good thing people ignore it. There's a lot about Humphries run that gets ignore. Which is a good thing.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

One of my questions to new writer Cullen Bunn, was directly about her racial and relational aspects. Especially since people like G willow Wilson, want to rectify Betsy.
    Has she mentioned something relating to Betsy? I have to admit it not something I was aware. What is meant meant by 'rectify' here?
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    Has she mentioned something relating to Betsy? I have to admit it not something I was aware. What is meant meant by 'rectify' here?
    Change her back to her original form. The race swap thing is really on the nose. And as said before, there is a fairly strong argument that Psylocke could be a shared character with the MCU- though being a main X-Man at the time might make that tricky. As she's a derivative of Captain Britain (her first superhero name, if I'm not mistaken), she would count as an MCU property, but also as a main X-Man at the time would count as a Fox property.

I, for one, would be glad to see her stripped of the woeful body swap. Sure, she looks cool, but it's superficial as hell and just pointless. I'd like to see her split into two entities- the original and the psychic ninja- and then we can have her in both forms without the confusion. Just make the body Revanche again but with the memories and personality of Asian Psylocke. Keep her on the X-Men. Then launch a book starring British Betsy as if she was ressurected, making her powers due too being of Otherworld stock. Best of both worlds.

And, if they were ever to realize the huge potential that is a Captain Britain movie, they could work her into the MCU. And it would be glorious! And we'll have the other version at Fox, so that too would be cool, given that it sidestepped the whole racial controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Change her back to her original form. The race swap thing is really on the nose.

And if that was what G Willow Wilson would be suggesting I would be over the bloody moon. I totally agree. It has always been an odd juxtaposition which is problematic on several levels. If she could be set back to Betsy's pre-Acts of Vengeance body, it would be fantastic news.

And as said before, there is a fairly strong argument that Psylocke could be a shared character with the MCU- though being a main X-Man at the time might make that tricky. As she's a derivative of Captain Britain (her first superhero name, if I'm not mistaken), she would count as an MCU property, but also as a main X-Man at the time would count as a Fox property.

Derivative would not be the correct term here, in my book. Yes, granted, she briefly (albeit really only for a couple of issues) took over the Captain Britain identity, while Brian quit, I would hardly consider it to be her first hero identity, exactly.

I mean before that she was an Agent of S.T.R.I.K.E. - the UK based parallel organisation to SHIELD and forerunner of MI13. Back then she was part of their Psi-division, alongside Tom Lennox, Alison Double and other operatives (most of whom died at the hands of Slaymaster). She was a powered individual at that point, not 'costumed', but certainly working for the government.

And again, not a Mutant.

But yes, 'Elizabeth Braddock' was an established character for a decade before being an X-Man. So I do not see why she should be property of Fox.

I, for one, would be glad to see her stripped of the woeful body swap. Sure, she looks cool, but it's superficial as hell and just pointless. I'd like to see her split into two entities- the original and the psychic ninja- and then we can have her in both forms without the confusion. Just make the body Revanche again but with the memories and personality of Asian Psylocke. Keep her on the X-Men. Then launch a book starring British Betsy as if she was ressurected, making her powers due too being of Otherworld stock. Best of both worlds.

I would be totally up for that. I would even be tempted to allow Kwannon to keep the Psylocke persona. It would be interesting to see other X-Men interact with a character who was still parts of their former comrade, but also not her.

Betsy needs to come home. We need a Braddock family reunion. A proper one. All three siblings back together.

And, if they were ever to realize the huge potential that is a Captain Britain movie, they could work her into the MCU. And it would be glorious! And we'll have the other version at Fox, so that too would be cool, given that it sidestepped the whole racial controversy.

Agreed. Best of both worlds.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 12-07-2015 at 04:31 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Nice to see such perfect agreement!

And yeah, I know what you mean by "derivative." I was using it in the legal/literal sense- as a family member of Captain Britain introduced as part of his supporting cast, she is derived from him. Much the same way Hulkling is derived from Captain Marvel. They're completely different, but one would not exist without the other. Betsy herself is definitely her own beast, equal to Brian.

That's why I'd like to see the separation of her from Psylocke and for Betsy to get a solo push while Psylocke gets the X-verse push. Clearing up that mess could leave us with two excellent characters!

BANNED

I agree with what all you guys have said.
    Funnily enough, Their mother is ALSO named Elizabeth Braddock. So they could fudge things for the MCU.
    I would not mind having TWO Psylockes about. It's one of the reason there is now TWO Scarlet Witch's and Quicksilver's.
    They can be in Both films.
    I know they keep saying Psylocke is a Fox character which is true. But Elizabeth Braddock can be a MCU character, and NOT a mutant, which she isn't, or wasn't.
    Her powers would have originated from her Otherworld heritage. MCU is all about Alien this or that.

I also asked Cullen Bunn about her, which turned into several news articles regarding her racial issues. I hope in the near future she comes back to England as the true Elizabeth Braddock.

If I was doing an MCU CB/MI13 series, I'd use her as Elizabeth 'Beth' Braddock, a SHIELD agent turned MI13 agent with no actual powers. I'd also be prepared to stand up in court and claim she's a grey area character since she debuted in Marvel UK's CB comic in 1977. She was NOT an X-Man for several years.
    I surrender to the Contest

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    If I was doing an MCU CB/MI13 series, I'd use her as Elizabeth 'Beth' Braddock, a SHIELD agent turned MI13 agent with no actual powers. I'd also be prepared to stand up in court and claim she's a grey area character since she debuted in Marvel UK's CB comic in 1977. She was NOT an X-Man for several years.
    Agreed. Sounds like a great course of action for Marvel. Especially if they ever use Captain Britain in a series of films.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

If there was a film, they would probably used the recent female Muslim replacement Captain Britain that appeared recently in Battleworld and who's name momentarily escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    If there was a film, they would probably used the recent female Muslim replacement Captain Britain that appeared recently in Battleworld and who's name momentarily escapes me.
    Faiza Hussein. I don't think they would. I mean, she's definitely appear in a sequel or something- she wields Excalibur! But Brian's story is so strong, and the connections of the mythos to him so deep, that I can't see it being anyone but him.

Imagining a Captain Britain movie series gets me all excited! Imagine- a series that introduces the Multiverse, Otherworld, Meggan, Black Knight, MI 13, all of Marvel UK over time! It would definitely add a layer to the MCU that it doesn't have, which seems to be the main reasoning behind what is movie worthy and what is not. It would be EPIC!

I'd rather do a TV series based around MI13. You could get more characters and stuff in.

I'd have CB, Meggan, Union Jack, Spitfire, Dark Angel and Black Knight as the core cast. Alastair Stuart would be the boss. Faiza would appear initially as a supporting character as a medic. Digitek would appear as a supporting, unpowered tech guy. The stories would explore each of the six main leads' origin whilst advancing a meta-plot, either Mys-Tech, Inhumans in the UK or ex-Hydra/Black Air types causing trouble, with Faiza later gaining powers as an Inhuman (sorry, it's so much easier to make her Inhuman than dick about with weird Skrull rays giving her powers) and later getting Excalibur; Digitek would also wind up with powers. Motormouth and Killpower would appear in an episode, working for and then leaving Mys-Tech. The Warheads would appear as recurrant antagonists as Mys-Tech's PMCs. Black Axe would appear in an episode as an ex-Mys-Tech merc. Death's Head I would appear in a one-off episode. Spitfire's origin would reveal she was part of an as-yet-unseen Invaders team in the War with her brother, the first Union Jack, and other GA heroes - who they were would depend on if Marvel would let me have powered folks or not. I'm thinking either Patriot, Blue Diamond and Major Mapleleaf or Patriot, Major Mapleleaf and Captain Victory. Mighty Destroyer would also show up in her backstory. (I'd just skip the miniaturised Dyna-Mite part of him)

Season finale would have a mass ruck with Mm&Kp and Black Axe helping MI13 thwart Mys-Tech and introduce the UK Super Soldiers.

Season 2 would add Red Dragon and Claymore from the S.H.E. as well as Albion and the Knights of Pendragon.
    I surrender to the Contest

Exactly.

Elizabeth 'Betsy' Braddock debuted in December 1976.

Psylocke debuted in that New Mutants Annual in October 1986.

We're just shy of a full decade between those two dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post

You're thinking of Faiza Hussain. And while I love Faiza as a character I really don't think that would work. People wouldn't see the connection. Because beyond the name being handed to her in that alt universe Age of Ultron story there really is very little actual 'Captain Britain' in that incarnation of the Legacy. She's still basically Faiza Hussain wielding Excalibur. Which is still pretty awesome, of course, but she has no really tangible connection to the rest of the Captain Britain mythos and set-up.

If you were doing Captain Britain series you would need to cover that mythos, to explain the principle and all the surrounding bits and pieces which the Faiza incarnation of Captain Britain doesn't use.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

I'd rather do a TV series based around MI13. You could get more characters and stuff in.

I'd have CB, Meggan, Union Jack, Spitfire, Dark Angel and Black Knight as the core cast. Alastair Stuart would be the boss. Faiza would appear initially as a supporting character as a medic. Digitek would appear as a supporting, unpowered tech guy. The stories would explore each of the six main leads' origin whilst advancing a meta-plot, either Mys-Tech, Inhumans in the UK or ex-Hydra/Black Air types causing trouble, with Faiza later gaining powers as an Inhuman (sorry, it's so much easier to make her Inhuman than dick about with weird Skrull rays giving her powers) and later getting Excalibur; Digitek would also wind up with powers. Motormouth and Killpower would appear in an episode, working for and then leaving Mys-Tech. The Warheads would appear as recurrant antagonists as Mys-Tech's PMCs. Black Axe would appear in an episode as an ex-Mys-Tech merc. Death's Head I would appear in a one-off episode. Spitfire's origin would reveal she was part of an as-yet-unseen Invaders team in the War with her brother, the first Union Jack, and other GA heroes - who they were would depend on if Marvel would let me have powered folks or not. I'm thinking either Patriot, Blue Diamond and Major Mapleleaf or Patriot, Major Mapleleaf and Captain Victory. Mighty Destroyer would also show up in her backstory. (I'd just skip the miniaturised Dyna-Mite part of him)

Season finale would have a mass ruck with Mm&Kp and Black Axe helping MI13 thwart Mys-Tech and introduce the UK Super Soldiers.

Season 2 would add Red Dragon and Claymore from the S.H.E. as well as Albion and the Knights of Pendragon.
    I like this but don't think Captain Britain and Meggan work on TV. They'd be budget killers. I'd sub them out for Elsa Bloodstone and Psylocke. That way you still have the CB connection, but it's more TV friendly. Have Psylocke be their liason with STRIKE. And I'd swap Dark Angel (who could be introduced down the line as a heroic villain trying to escape her demonic masters) with an already-empowered Faiza Hussein. Have her be a mysterious divine healer brought in on the first mission and build up to her claiming Excalibur. And I'd have the Immortal vampire Spitfire be keeping an eye on the Black Knight legacy, as she fought the villainous one in WWII as an Invader (the same as the comics but Namora and Union Jack instead of Namor and Captain America).

I'd set it up as a spin-off of the first Captain Britain movie- introduce Betsy and the leader of MI:13, then have CB go off-universe in the end. Psylocke can meet with said leader and promise to work with him until they find him again, investigating Incursions from Otherworld. Then it's essentially BBC's Agents of SHIELD, but cooler because MI:13! And it can run for a few seasons until the next or third CB movie, and they can be reunited there. Easy, smooth, and builds up the universe for CB to use in the movies.

I like this but don't think Captain Britain and Meggan work on TV. They'd be budget killers. I'd sub them out for Elsa Bloodstone and Psylocke. That way you still have the CB connection, but it's more TV friendly. Have Psylocke be their liason with STRIKE. And I'd swap Dark Angel (who could be introduced down the line as a heroic villain trying to escape her demonic masters) with an already-empowered Faiza Hussein. Have her be a mysterious divine healer brought in on the first mission and build up to her claiming Excalibur. And I'd have the Immortal vampire Spitfire be keeping an eye on the Black Knight legacy, as she fought the villainous one in WWII as an Invader (the same as the comics but Namora and Union Jack instead of Namor and Captain America).

I'd set it up as a spin-off of the first Captain Britain movie- introduce Betsy and the leader of MI:13, then have CB go off-universe in the end. Psylocke can meet with said leader and promise to work with him until they find him again, investigating Incursions from Otherworld. Then it's essentially BBC's Agents of SHIELD, but cooler because MI:13! And it can run for a few seasons until the next or third CB movie, and they can be reunited there. Easy, smooth, and builds up the universe for CB to use in the movies.
    I don't know, if you were to give CB a "Agents of SHIELD" type budget then it could easily work. Either way, I'd absolutely love a CB film or TV show. Marvel need to give some love to their British characters.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough