Page 155 of 212 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 3171
    File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I can't agree. RDJR feels he's getting too old for the role of Tony Stark and he's the oldest at 52. Chris Evans is about 36, Hemsworth is about two years older, both have been playing their respective roles for a while and are probably going to bow out as those characters soon. Chris Pratt is 37 and has two Marvel films already under his belt, Brie Larson is under 30, Cumberbatch is 40 in a role that doesn't require him to be muscled up. The actor playing Brian needs to be mid-thirties at oldest if he's going to be physical and playing the role for several years, imo.

Mid thirties would be fine. My intent was to make it clear that I personally feel that a guy ten years younger than that isn't going to be able to stand alongside other established characters without looking like the teenager nobody wants to listen to.

Placing Brian as a contemporary is important.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 07-12-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

This past weekend the Comics Should Be Good column featured a Captain Britain rumour referring to Scott Lobdell's changing of the character to 'Britanic' (Later corrected to 'Britannic') in Excalibur #75.

Why Did Captain Britain Become Britannic

The question asked is basically if the change was prompted by Marvel UK wanting to create a new Captain Britain title with a different Captain Britain.

Not implausible. When I interviewed David Leach a fair few years back about his aborted Death's Head Quorum series (The Death's Head which Almost Was - an interview with David Leach. he did mention that his book was 1 of a planned four series relaunch - which also included Dan Abnett's Nocturne series and a new Captain Britain series.

To date though, I've never found anybody able to tell me wat that series was going to entail.

Well, according to the ever helpful Mr Cronin:

I asked Scott Lobdell about it, who wrote Excalbur #75, and he explained that the whole thing was his idea and no one told him to do anything about it. He said that a trademark of Excalibur as a series was how fun and chaotic it was, you never knew what quirky thing would happen next and he figured that this played into that spirit. He just wanted to try something new with the character, specifically citing how Brian’s sister, Psylocke, had undergone a dramatic transformation herself and it worked out pretty well for her as a character, so he wanted to try the same thing with Brian, turning him into Britanic (which seemed like later writers made it Britannic). He noted that it was not intended to be a full-time change, just a sort of fun thing to make Brian (and the rest of the team) go through.

He also noted, “I also liked the idea that the barrel-chested stalwart of the group was going to be forced into the role of the kind of manic member for a bit — it felt fitfully undignified and something Brian might have felt mortified about later.”
    So no hidden Marvel UK agenda. Just Scott Lobdell missing the mark fundamentally and pretty terribly too.

One thing the article doesn't remind us is that Brian becomes lost in the timestream between issues. Literally. With a terrible editor not explain to the effect that 'so much happens on Excalibur that we can't cram it all into an issue. Captain Britain was lost in the timestream off-panel'.

Really BAD story telling.

It's hard to entirely hate what Lobdell was doing. I'd still love to know whose decision it was to try and crowbar Excalibur into being an 'X-Book' under his tenure, but he has always seemed to be a fan of the random nature of that series. The bizarre. The sudden. The offbeat nature.

It's just that I don't really think that he knew how to emulate that whilst working on the book. A huge part of what made Excalibur work was that it was so Britain-centric. Its humour. Its setting. Its rogues gallery.

Lobdell parted the book from that. No more London underworld. No more Vixen, or Gatecrasher or Sat-yr-9.

Even 'Britannic' was a disconnected concept. Brian may as well have been a robot. There was nothing even vaguely Britannic about the character either storyline or aesthetic-wise.

Fighting d-list X-Men villains who had literally no connection to the team simply did not work. And aside from adding Douglock and Rhane Sinclair to the team very little that he did really seemed to make a lot of storyline sense.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

About the prospect of a movie,I kinda doubt it will ever happen.
    I do miss Deaths Head...

He's still sporting that beard and one-eye look.

I hate that.
    Last edited by Panic; 09-17-2017 at 08:47 AM.

the dialogue's funny, though.
    I surrender to the Contest

The funny thing is as mentioned earlier in this thread Brian once attended university with Peter Parker, but looking at current Peter Parker and Brian, there seems to be a massive age difference. When did this happen?

It would be Interesting if Jessica Drew had a short term stint as a Captain Britain or Lady London.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    The funny thing is as mentioned earlier in this thread Brian once attended university with Peter Parker, but looking at current Peter Parker and Brian, there seems to be a massive age difference. When did this happen?
    he and Pym (separately) were traveling through time-space a long time (Time Runs Out storyline). I have no idea why Pym's old and bearded look didn't remain.

actually, I'm not sure if Brian did it. I remember him being in Otherworld and being sent back to survive some kind of slaughter. but it looked like he had been fighting for a long time.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-15-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Another Revolutionary War style event would be nice.Yes,this is the one time I want more events.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    It would be Interesting if Jessica Drew had a short term stint as a Captain Britain or Lady London.
    It would be weird considering that Jessica is not British and thanks to retcons was not even born in Britain anymore.

She has dual British-American nationality. She isn't a Marvel UK character, so this isn't really the right thread for talking about Jess, but she is British. Parentage matters as much as birthplace.

Did she have an English accent in the Spider-Woman cartoon? I'm never sure how strong her ties to the UK are supposed to be, what with her being raised on Wundagore Mountain and I think only living in England for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She has dual British-American nationality. She isn't a Marvel UK character, so this isn't really the right thread for talking about Jess, but she is British. Parentage matters as much as birthplace.

She was. But the Bendis Spider-woman origin mini, which had her born and raised in Wundagore, kinda retconned that out.

When Bendis' Spider-woman ongoing series began though, it did so in London, as if she considered herself 'British' still. Although there was no reason why she would at that point. She hadn't grown up IN Britain.

It's all a little contradictory and confusing. I've not read her most recent series. Has national identity ever come up in that?
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    Another Revolutionary War style event would be nice.Yes,this is the one time I want more events.
    Revolutionary War irritated me a little as a big Captain Britain fan. He spent most of the series unconscious.

Of course if this not the case (I was skimming through it in the shop) I may well buy it.