Page 195 of 212 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 3171
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

EXCALIBUR #7
    TINI HOWARD (W) • WILTON SANTOS (A)
    Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    Gwen Stacy Variant COVER by BEN OLIVER
    THE HUNTSMEN AND THE WARWOLVES!
    Excalibur faces an old foe - this time as the hunters rather than the game.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

EXCALIBUR EPIC COLLECTION: CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER TPB
    Volume #4 in the Excalibur Epic Collections
    Written by ALAN DAVIS, SCOTT LOBDELL & BARRY DUTTER
    Penciled by ALAN DAVIS, DOUG BRAITHWAITE, WILL SIMPSON, JAMES FRY, JOE MADUREIRA & MORE
    Cover by JOE MADUREIRA
    Alan Davis returns to Excalibur! The legendary artist takes over the writing chores to steer Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Phoenix, Captain Britain and Meggan to new heights of greatness — and madness! The troublesome Technet return to wreak havoc! The Captain Britain Corps puts Brian Braddock on trial! Meggan searches for her past! And Excalibur deals with the offbeat arrivals of Kylun and Cerise! But what is the fearsome threat of the Anti-Phoenix, and who has been pulling Excalibur’s strings since the very beginning? Plus: Secrets of the Phoenix Force are revealed, the Crazy Gang makes its bizarre return and Captain Britain’s sister, Psylocke, stops by — to help battle their older brother, the insane Jamie Braddock! Guest-starring Spider-Man and the X-Men! Collecting EXCALIBUR (1988) #42-58, EXCALIBUR: XX CROSSING and material from MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #110.
    472 PGS./Rated T+ …$39.99

BANNED

Clandestine #2 Nov 1994
    "Relative Strangers"
    Walter takes Rory and Pandora a.k.a. the Crimson Crusader and Imp to see their brother Dominic

Silver Surfer cameo.

Script and pencils by Alan Davis, inks by Mark Farmer.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Clandestine #2 Nov 1994
    "Relative Strangers"
    Walter takes Rory and Pandora a.k.a. the Crimson Crusader and Imp to see their brother Dominic

Silver Surfer cameo.

Awesome! Would love to see Alan Davis working on either a mini-series or one-shot about the Silver Surfer.

Well I've glanced through the first three Excalibur issues. I'd hoped that with the writer being female, Brian might get kinder treatment than at the hands of male American writers, and in fact that has been the case: I didn't spot any obvious examples of Brian being an overprivileged jerk, or notice him calling female characters "woman" (which seems to be a favourite trick of American writers to show that male heroes of other cultures are examples of toxic masculinity), or things of that sort. So that's a plus.

On the other hand, I think this is clearly leading up to Betsy keeping both the Captain Britain identity and powers, with Brian being stripped of both. There is a lot of focus on the amulet, and I suspect the writer is ignoring that Brian's Otherworld heritage and being remade by Merlin in CB&MI:13 mean that his powers should be innate. I think she's read the Ben Rabb Excalibur vol 2 stuff (did anyone here like that story?) and decided to go with that interpretation, which makes me very unhappy. As I recall, part of the reason (in RL) Brian was given the position of Omniversal Guardian was basically to throw him (and us Brian Braddock fans) a bone whilst the CB identity was given to Kelsey Leigh Kirkland; it was really a compensation for him being taken off the board, so to speak, promoted out of the field. However now Betsy seems to be set up to take both the Captain Britain identity AND the Omniversal Protector identity, plus Brian seems likely to be stripped of the power that should rightly be his.

Really, really unhappy if this is the case.

Jamie is back, too, and Tini Howard does seem to remember he's been a bad guy... but she's also going with the whole 'Jamie's a wacky and fun-loving bad-boy' and trying to balance the two things out. Betsy tells Jamie that Brian might not be pleased to see him, but really, if you know your brother is murdering, slave-trading (and probably raping) scum, there is no "might" about it: by rights Jamie should be in prison for the rest of his life. Oh, and I hate that that when Betsy tries to snap Brian out of mind-control, it is not with the mention of Meggan or their daughter where we see him peek through the control, it's at Jamie's name that he responds. Really, that's just horrible.

Overall I think Tini Howard is doing her best (and god knows it could be worse... Claremont, Lobdell, even Remender versions make me shudder a little, even now), but I'm seeing one of my favourite heroes being ****ed over once again, and it smarts. And at this point I'm pretty sure if there is a CB making an appearance in the MCU, it will be Betsy. Which would be just unfair, imo.

Betsy's not even used all of CB's powers... she doesn't seem to have super strength. I wonder, might they retcon that as Brian's mutant power? It does seem odd that he isn't a mutant when his two siblings are. In fact, CB's other powers - flight and force fields - are things that Betsy could already do using her telekinesis. She seems to have only gained armour from taking the mantle.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

While I hate that Brian isn't Captain Britain just now (and I hope he will be again soon), I have to say Excalibur has been better than I thought... I do enjoy Howard's writing, it's kinda fresh and the art is just corgeous.

In each of the 3 issues we've seen former members appear as well; #1 had Brian and Meggan, #2 had Kitty and #3 had Brian and Pete Wisdom, which I thought was cool. If I had to guess I'd say Rachel and Kurt appeareances are probably coming too.

Anyway, so far so good imo.

Hello All, sorry to highjack the thread, but I'd like to invite you to comment on a versus battle I've setup.

Elemental Showdown: Storm vs Crystal vs Gloriana

EXCALIBUR #8 & #9
    TINI HOWARD (W) • ISSUE #8 - WILTON SANTOS (A)
    ISSUE #9 - MARCUS TO (A)
    CoverS by MAHMUD ASRAR
    ISSUE #9 – GOD LOVES MAN KILLS VARIANT COVER BY MARCOS MARTIN
    HARK! THE HUNT FOR TRUTH
    Excalibur emerges from the woods with a journey before them. Their destination: Starlight Citadel.
    32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)

EXCALIBUR By TINI HOWARD VOL. 1 TPB
    Written by TINI HOWARD
    Penciled by MARCUS TO
    Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    Forging a new dawn! A fresh era is beginning for mutantkind, but war rocks the magical Otherworld! And when a portal opens between Otherworld and Krakoa, magic and science collide violently — and Betsy Braddock finds herself transformed into the new Captain Britain! Betsy is joined by allies Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Rictor…and Apocalypse?! But whose side will they take in the Otherworld war? As the new captain faces the truth about her brother, she must choose her path forward — even as MI13 and agents of the British crown learn of her ascension! Meanwhile, Rogue faces an uncertain fate — and while she sleeps, she dreams! En Sabah Nur performs a ritual, and the throne of power changes hands…but to whom? What will happen when the rise of mutantkind confronts the reign of Morgan Le Fay? Collecting EXCALIBUR (2019) #1-6.
    176 PGS./Rated T+ …$17.99

BANNED

Wish Alan Davis did a mini series or one-shot of whatever obscure marvel character IMO the man's art is able to elevate any character marvel comics has.

BANNED

Clandestine #3 Dec 1994
    "Selfish Genes"
    Adam Destine asks for the Silver Surfer's help,

while Walter, Rory and Pandora infiltrate the Griffin Research Complex.

Anyone read the latest issue of Excalibur? So depressing how they’ve undone so much of Brian’s history so quickly, just to give Betsy a new identity. Absolutely gutted with it.

No, I've yet to read it. I suspected this whole thing would be bad for Brian, though, it's pretty much par for the course with American writers. It makes me really angry as CB has been one of my favourite heroes since the Davis/Thorpe revamp, but Marvel US just treat him with contempt.

What exactly have they undone?

I'll try not to spoil this for anyone who wants to read it, but I'm a long term lurker, rare poster, so apologies if I mess this up.

spoilers:
    Basically the writer took him back to getting his powers from the amulet. No explanation, just made it look like that's the way it worked. So just retcon/ignore last few decades. In the 1st issue Brian was mind controlled by Morganna and gave the amulet to Betsy (so now she's CB), and at the end of the ark he's apparently messed up in the head and so he failed the CB test and took the sword, not the amulet. So he gave the sword to Betsy so he couldn't be "tempted by it", so I assume he's now depowered.
    Oh and he got killed again. this time Jamie brought him back (he's alive again too).
    end of spoilers

Here's a more detailed summary of the latest issue on the x-books forum.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-and-Spoilers

so basically Brian as a character sacrificed to give a new identity to Betsy.
    Normally I'm just glad to see a CB appearance so he's not forgotten, but this time it would've been better to be kept off the table.