Page 206 of 212 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3171
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    I think this fight will ultimately just end with him and Betsy swapping the sword and the amulet.

And my theory is Brian will turn on Krakoa in favour of Otherworld and his obligations there.
    Which I would be fine with if it was followed through consistently, because it should mean he'd get the Captain Britain identity back with the amulet. Betsy can't have the CB identity and the Sword of Might. That's contradictory, not to mention downright greedy. Although given the lack of respect that's already been shown to the mythology, you may be spot on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Wait I stopped reading the new Excalibur, did he become a citizen of it? I thought he was a Mutant's human +1.
    Essentially, Meggan states that if she spoke to the Quiet Council, they would let Brian stay on Krakoa whatever.

But during the X of Swords event coming up, it’s hinted that Brian is one of the ten sword beaters who will take up arms to defend Krakoa. But the FCBD issue teases a betrayal, and considering Excalibur has already hinted that a disagreement over Otherworld could force the twins to fight again, I think Brian might not be totally prepared to defend Krakoa.

In short, he’s not a citizen, but he’s family to mutants and welcome anytime. How he becomes involved in X of Swords is unclear.

I just hate how Marvel US treat him (and us CB fans). I can't remember the last time he had a really positive appearance.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I just hate how Marvel US treat him (and us CB fans). I can't remember the last time he had a really positive appearance.
    Sorry Panic, my penultimate post was meant to be a direct reply to you. I've not posted on here for a long time (5,6 years? When was the board purge?), so I'm still getting to grips with the format. Bear with.

I think the thing that really disappoints me the most about this current situation is that it's happening on Hickman's watch, as I genuinely thought he was on our side regarding Brian - indeed, has gone on record as saying he "loves" CB in the past. But then he found a reason/justification to make Jamie Captain Britain not once but twice in alternate continuities, and now this. So maybe he's more enamoured of the concept of CB rather than Brian himself being the titleholder.

Anyway that's it for me tonight. I have to get up at stupid o'clock tomorrow and shamble around my nearest B&M for supplies with the other mask - zombies. TTFN.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    Essentially, Meggan states that if she spoke to the Quiet Council, they would let Brian stay on Krakoa whatever.

But during the X of Swords event coming up, it’s hinted that Brian is one of the ten sword beaters who will take up arms to defend Krakoa. But the FCBD issue teases a betrayal, and considering Excalibur has already hinted that a disagreement over Otherworld could force the twins to fight again, I think Brian might not be totally prepared to defend Krakoa.

In short, he’s not a citizen, but he’s family to mutants and welcome anytime. How he becomes involved in X of Swords is unclear.
    Ok. Probably a conflict will happen, they will fight and part on bad terms. Then when MUvsX happens they will resolve the plot. I just hope that if Betsy does side with Krakoa the magic of Otherworld its self rips the Captain Britain powers from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
    Sorry Panic, my penultimate post was meant to be a direct reply to you. I've not posted on here for a long time (5,6 years? When was the board purge?), so I'm still getting to grips with the format. Bear with.
    I must have seen you in the thread back then, but I can't really remember. Old age and all that. You will have noticed that our membership has been whittled down somewhat. Marvel have pretty much crushed all hope from me at this point with their negative portrayals of Brian Braddock, and I think even The Sword is Drawn gave up after so many pushing storylines.
    I think the thing that really disappoints me the most about this current situation is that it's happening on Hickman's watch, as I genuinely thought he was on our side regarding Brian - indeed, has gone on record as saying he "loves" CB in the past. But then he found a reason/justification to make Jamie Captain Britain not once but twice in alternate continuities, and now this. So maybe he's more enamoured of the concept of CB rather than Brian himself being the titleholder.
    After the Secret Wars story where Brian was once again shown as arrogant and hot-headed, and gets beaten down and Jamie is the cool, heroic one, I knew Hickman was not our guy. Marvel are simply not going to have Brian as a proper super-hero who wins fights and is basically empowering. I don't think there is a single US writer I trust in this regard.

Anyway that's it for me tonight. I have to get up at stupid o'clock tomorrow and shamble around my nearest B&M for supplies with the other mask - zombies. TTFN.
    I hope you were successful the hunter-gather role thrust upon you by our viral apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    After the Secret Wars story where Brian was once again shown as arrogant and hot-headed, and gets beaten down and Jamie is the cool, heroic one, I knew Hickman was not our guy. Marvel are simply not going to have Brian as a proper super-hero who wins fights and is basically empowering. I don't think there is a single US writer I trust in this regard.
    I hoping that Hickman knows that Brian's current status will not be a permanent one, so he's happy for Tini Howard to do whatever she wants.

Astonishing Member

So a these 2 haven't been used in Marvel before Fisher King, and Aleister Crowley. I could see them bringing a cool story.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    So a these 2 haven't been used in Marvel before Fisher King, and Aleister Crowley. I could see them bringing a cool story.
    Not specifically referenced as such, but it's been suggested that Brian (or whomever holds the Captain Britain title) has Fisher King - esque qualities. IIRC when Kelsey Leigh was briefly CB injuries she received in combat were echoed by damage to the land itself. There's more on it in the Captain Britain entry on the TV Tropes website.

I always tend to think of Brian and Meggan as "the Fisher King and his Faerie Queen", but that's my own head - con and unlikely to be shown in the comics as I obviously have more affection for the character and interest in his connection to Arthurian/Brythonic mythology than anyone working for Marvel Comics.

Crowley as a character/concept is a far more fraught issue given that he was a real world individual, with, I believe living descendants/relatives who may well take issue with his name /likeness being used by Marvel. And I can't say I'd blame 'em.
    Last edited by Gallifrey; 07-31-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

Not specifically referenced as such, but it's been suggested that Brian (or whomever holds the Captain Britain title) has Fisher King - esque qualities. IIRC when Kelsey Leigh was briefly CB injuries she received in combat were echoed by damage to the land itself. There's more on it in the Captain Britain entry on the TV Tropes website.

I always tend to think of Brian and Meggan as "the Fisher King and his Faerie Queen", but that's my own head - con and unlikely to be shown in the comics as I obviously have more affection for the character and interest in his connection to Arthurian/Brythonic mythology than anyone working for Marvel Comics.

Crowley as a character/concept is a far more fraught issue given that he was a real world individual, with, I believe living descendants/relatives who may well take issue with his name /likeness being used by Marvel. And I can't say I'd blame 'em.
    Well there was that Shield series which was about different scientist, and philosophers based on real world individuals. Plus others have used him in other stuff like Venture Bros, and Index.

I love that idea for Brian, and Meggan.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

EXCALIBUR #14
    TINI HOWARD (W) • PHIL NOTO (A) • Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    VARIANT COVER BY JESUS SAIZ
    Two swords. Two cups. Two must answer.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

EXCALIBUR #15
    TINI HOWARD (W) • MAHMUD ASRAR (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY IBAN COELLO
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY PEPE LARRAZ (1 OF 2)
    A game abandoned, but a great gamble remains.
    A Tower answers.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

X OF SWORDS: DESTRUCTION #1
    JONATHAN HICKMAN & TINI HOWARD (w) • Pepe Larraz (a/C)
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY PEPE LARRAZ
    VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    VARIANT COVER BY RYAN STEGMAN
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY PEPE LARRAZ (2 OF 2)
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    The wheel of fortune turns. The unfortunate fall.
    A sword against the darkness.
    48 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99

TRUE BELIEVERS: KING IN BLACK — BLACK KNIGHT #1
    Reprinting Avengers (1963) #48
    32 PGS./ All Ages ...$1.00

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    X OF SWORDS: DESTRUCTION #1
    JONATHAN HICKMAN & TINI HOWARD (w) • Pepe Larraz (a/C)
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY PEPE LARRAZ
    VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    VARIANT COVER BY RYAN STEGMAN
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY PEPE LARRAZ (2 OF 2)
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    The wheel of fortune turns. The unfortunate fall.
    A sword against the darkness.
    48 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99

So is that supposed to be Brian then, behind Betsy on the right