Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Superman: Lois and Clark #3 Preview / Discussion

Superman: Lois and Clark #3

Source: CraveOnline

http://www.craveonline.com/art/93843...n-lois-clark-3

Summary “Who—or what—is Blanque? What is being held in this Superman’s Fortress of Solitude? And what is Intergang, and why is their discovery dangerous to Lois? Whatever the answers, neither Clark nor Lois want their son to learn the truth...”
    Blanque looks cool and awesome, and so is the confrontation between Pre-flashpoint superman and Blanque.

Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

So far I love everything about this series. That it's the old fashioned Superman with the Superman values, that it's a Lois who looks out for others and not just herself. That they are married. But most of all...I love that it focuses on both of them, it's not just Superman's book, it belongs to both of them.

Its readable, but nothing special. A by the numbers mid-to-late-nineties Superman story. But then again that's what its supposed to be so Jurgens is doing a good job. I've just grown past it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its readable, but nothing special. A by the numbers mid-to-late-nineties Superman story. But then again that's what its supposed to be so Jurgens is doing a good job. I've just grown past it.
    Yes, that's exactly how I see it too, but I'm not a Jurgens in general so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What do you mean by "by the numbers," and how does this story in particular represent such storytelling reminiscent of one particular era aside from the character involved? How does this story differ to stories that have been written outside of this narrow window of time? Also, what makes you conclude that this story is meant to be one thing in particular? Is that a judgment you've made or something the creators and company have declared as fact?

As for me, I wish the preview gave more of a taste of the story that the cover hints at. However, I find the suspense, drama, and heart of this book so satisfying and refreshing that I anticipate the whole issue to be a good read. Looking forward to it!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Excited for this!

Its written by Jurgens, Superman and Lois are married, and they're both characterized of course as he characterized them during his most prominent run with the character, which was in that timeframe. That's why it has a similar feel to me. If it has a different flavor for others, like if the addition for Jonathan is a big enough change, excellent. For me its strongly familiar. And again its not meant to be a knock, the book is supposed to be a nostalgia trip so its doing its job. And on those grounds for me its okay but nothing wowing.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-28-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I liked this better than #2, but still less than #1.

Got to say though

spoilers:
    For a comic that's supposed to be showing us how different and more matured this Superman is to the current version, it's not doing that great a job. He actually considers killing Blanque before doing the whole "That's now who I am" bit. The last issue of Superman had current Superman in a similar scenario where he had the opportunity to kill Hordor Root but decided against it. Coincidentally both issues also ended with the villain escaping with some help.

Clark's also getting sloppy with keeping a low profile. He changes into his Superman costume out in the open but I suppose you could say he was using his super-hearing to tell if anyone was nearby.
    end of spoilers

Always Rakzo

Liked this! The family dynamics continue to be entertaining and I quite enjoy how Jurgens is using the connection between the previous continuity and this one like, what are you going to do with a Hank Henshaw who hasn't turn into the Cyborg Superman yet?

Weeks' was beautiful too.

I thought this was the best issue to date. Blanque isn't that interesting, and after everything post-Crisis Superman went through the idea that "this guy is so different from other villains I've dealt with!" falls completely flat. But it was nice to see Clark's new fortress and get some answers about Henshaw (the previous issues made it feel like there was a slip on Jurgens' part, this tied that inconsistency up nicely). All in all I was entertained, if not blown away.

Still, I agree with Sacred. This is a decent book. I enjoy it for what it is, but it feels and reads exactly like a Triangle era title. Which is fine, that was a great era and I have many fond memories of that time....but it doesnt get me excited like it did twenty years ago. Still, its a decent enough book, even if its not doing a great job of showcasing how much more mature Superdad is. You wanna complain about 52Superman nearly killing people? Here we have the same thing. Wanna complain about 52Superman lying to Lois about stuff? Here we have the same thing, but in my opinion its far worse since it deals with one of the biggest villains Superman has.

I wonder if this will make it to twelve issues or get cut short?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought this was the best issue to date. Blanque isn't that interesting, and after everything post-Crisis Superman went through the idea that "this guy is so different from other villains I've dealt with!" falls completely flat. But it was nice to see Clark's new fortress and get some answers about Henshaw (the previous issues made it feel like there was a slip on Jurgens' part, this tied that inconsistency up nicely). All in all I was entertained, if not blown away.

Still, I agree with Sacred. This is a decent book. I enjoy it for what it is, but it feels and reads exactly like a Triangle era title. Which is fine, that was a great era and I have many fond memories of that time....but it doesnt get me excited like it did twenty years ago. Still, its a decent enough book, even if its not doing a great job of showcasing how much more mature Superdad is. You wanna complain about 52Superman nearly killing people? Here we have the same thing. Wanna complain about 52Superman lying to Lois about stuff? Here we have the same thing, but in my opinion its far worse since it deals with one of the biggest villains Superman has.

I wonder if this will make it to twelve issues or get cut short?
    It's already been cut down to 8 issues.

I agree that Superman finding Blanque so incomprehensibly evil falling flat. It's another one of those "The New 52 Universe so much darker and edgy" bits that we also got in the 1st issue. The government doesn't trust superhumans? A villain that just destroys and kills things?

Yeah, totally alien to Pre-Flashpoint Superman.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 12-30-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Still, I agree with Sacred. This is a decent book. I enjoy it for what it is, but it feels and reads exactly like a Triangle era title. Which is fine, that was a great era and I have many fond memories of that time....but it doesnt get me excited like it did twenty years ago.
    Beyond the actual characters involved, what are the hallmarks or tropes associated with the nineties or Triangle Era that are so familiar and idiosyncratic to this book alone? What's not exciting? I don't understand what you mean when you say "it" (Triangle Era comics) doesn't get you excited as much, when this isn't telling a story that's been told before, regardless if the style and characters are the same. What's missing? What would make it more exciting? Does excitement matter more than entertainment, or is it a separate element for you given that you said you were entertained, yet not excited, by this comic? I'm just trying to unpack your evaluation here, because it seems a bit vague and equivocal to me.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I liked this issue. I like this series. I wish it was an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Beyond the actual characters involved, what are the hallmarks or tropes associated with the nineties or Triangle Era that are so familiar and idiosyncratic to this book alone? What's not exciting? I don't understand what you mean when you say "it" (Triangle Era comics) doesn't get you excited as much, when this isn't telling a story that's been told before, regardless if the style and characters are the same. What's missing? What would make it more exciting? Does excitement matter more than entertainment, or is it a separate element for you given that you said you were entertained, yet not excited, by this comic? I'm just trying to unpack your evaluation here, because it seems a bit vague and equivocal to me.
    Hmmm. Well, let me see. Its hard to express. At least right now (feeling pretty thick skulled lately, with the post-holiday crash).

Some of this comes down the the fact that its Jurgens writing, I imagine. His story telling methodology hasnt changed in twenty years. I felt the same way about his Green Arrow and....what was the other book he did at the 52 launch? JLI? And his short run on Superman post-52 also felt the same. There's something to his work that feels like it never left the 90's (and yes, I know he wasn't writing then like he does now). Part of that might very well be in my own head, but he hasnt changed his style in all this time either. Maybe most fans enjoy this sensation of nostalgia, but I do not. I loved the Triangle era, but I've no desire to re-tread that same stylistic ground either. I'm all about forward motion.

There's also a certain....lack of depth. The events unfolding dont feel like they reach an emotional resonance. We're told things, but the story and the characters' actions dont really reflect that. Clark says this Blanque is "so horribly terrible!" and unlike anything he's ever encountered. But even if I had not read all those post-Crisis comics and knew better, I still wouldnt believe him because his actions don't reinforce that idea. Aside from a quick trip into the lower atmosphere (far from the first time Clark's done that either), this guy isnt treated any worse than any other foe. He's not even the only prisoner Clark has in his new Fortress. I'm told that this guy is a major threat, but I have not been shown that. He blew up a few small towns. In the DCU, that makes him a job for the Teen Titans; it does not make him one of the greatest threats Superman has ever faced (this is the guy who threw Darkseid into the Source Wall, lived through Final Crisis and fought Mandraak, who existed beyond the multiverse itself. Blanque? A scary threat? Please.)

I do totally believe the relationship between Clark, Lois, and Jon. That's one of the saving graces for this book. I get the vibe that they truly care for each other. But I dont really get that same sensation of emotional truth concerning the rest of the title. Its a situation of being told one thing, but not seeing it have the kind of ramifications you'd expect. If Blanque was such a threat, Clark would have done more than put him in prison. He'd have removed him from earth, broken into the Fortress of Solitude and exiled him to the Zone, dropped him off at the nearest Lantern Sector House....something, other than a jail cell. If Blanque is so terrible then even with limited resources, Clark would have found a way.

As for entertainment versus excitement....I enjoyed the issue. It did a good job keeping my attention. But Im not sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next issue either. Part of that is because I dont feel like Im seeing anything new. Having the marriage around is great, Ive really missed that, but it was never a main draw for me (I read Superman comics for Superman, not his love life) and I love that they have a kid. But even then, thats far from new either.

I wish the book was selling better. I think there's some really good stories to tell with Superdad. And as long as the quality doesnt drop, I'd stick with it. But its not Invincible, which has me checking my box each week hoping that, somehow, it came out early. Its just there, waiting to provide me my ten minutes (tops) of entertainment before being forgotten.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The two things that make this book work so well for me:

- Superman and Lois feel authentic. They act and speak like the characters I read for years, and adding their son brings something new to the table for the characters. And they aren't frozen in the typical Superman status quo, their story has been advanced.
    - As much as I dislike the New 52, it makes a nice backdrop. Pitting old familiar characters against this new world is making for a good story, and one that we haven't seen before.

I'm glad they explained what happened to Henshaw, and things definitely are moving quickly to some kind of destruction of this quiet life Clark and Lois have made for themselves. Blanque's recognition of Superman ("Who are you anyway? His older brother? A cousin?") is bound to pay off down the line.