Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Jonathan Hickman should write Superman!!!

As you can read by the title I truly think that Marvel's Jonathan Hickman should write the Action Ace himself Superman. For those not familiar with his work I'd like to point you to where I jumped on his ban wagon: Fantastic Four. Hickman has had a long and absurdly strong run on Fantastic Four and his spin off book FF. But it doesn't stop there since marvel has made him the big writer for their biggest book: Avengers. His run is still ongoing if any would like to jump on. It's really really REALLY good IMO.

But why Superman? Well Superman as we all know is a big character in really ever sense of the word. From his status in our culture and his own fictional culture. His adventures, when played to full effect, burst through almost all the tropes from science fiction and fairy tales to crime drama and the like. Hickman, I've at least seen, can do most of if not all of this.

His Fantastic Four and FF run in particular is a great show of his balancing act of that magic or twinkle that is juxtaposed in all of the great Superman stories IMO. Oh and the stakes that he puts his heroes against is absolutely mind blowing. Sometimes it's a space opera with gods, supermen and monsters fighting hand in hand. Or it's a doomsday plot from beyond our universe that will take a whole family coming together to face.

But even that stuff doesn't matter so much if it's just vapid epic jargon (granted some do that epic jargon REALLY WELL). What Hickman brings is a heart and soul with all this epicness that has to catch even Grant Morrison's eye. He NEVER forgets that there are people and emotions knitted in with his stories. By god you feel like you are part of the FF family I promise you.

Lastly Hickman gets superheroes on a conceptual level that I can only say a few other writers ever really articulate as well. The idea that they're more than cops, firemen, or doctors. They're all of that and more. They're whatever you need them to be, and more to the point HE'S whatever you need him to be when you need it. The best idea we got.

Hickman sorta kinda wrote Superman in the New Avengers Book in the form of a character named Sun God who lead a JLA-like team (check it out please. Really good). He shows both the character and the idea such respect that along with his other work on Avengers, FF, and Fantastic Four I cry myself to sleep at night knowing he's not writing Superman AT ALL.

So please DC, do us all a solid and snatch this guy up AFTER his Avengers run is over. What does everyone else think? Have you read him? Do you think he's up for the job? Do you want Superlad to live in a prefect world where Grant Morrison has rebooted Superman, and Greg Pak and Jonathan Hickman are following it up?

Astonishing Member

I can't stand Hickman's brand of pseudo-epic writing. His Avengers run is dry and tediously overwritten.

In fairness, I know Hickman is a really thoughtful writer with good ideas, but the execution of those ideas is just blah. Very rarely do his stories actually have any thematic resonance with the characters he's writing. Grant Morrison he is not. He's basically the comic book equivalent of some terrible neo-prog band with really flashy guitars but no resonance.
    Last edited by Kid A; 10-23-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Very much agreed. Too much hype, dawg.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Yup. I don't know that this could ever be in the cards--he says he isn't interested in doing any Big Two work for the foreseeable future after his Avengers story wraps, and I'm guessing his comment when hearing about the DC move (something along the lines of "this is the best opportunity to drop crap editors DC's had in years") hasn't endeared him. But he's been playing with the archetype for years, and I have little doubt he'd have something worthwhile to say with the real deal. Plus everything else Superlad93 said.

Certainly he's not batting a hundred; his own first exploration of the Superman idea, in Red Mass For Mars, was as close to the platonic ideal of what people hate in Hickman's work as anything I've seen. But honestly, while he's by no means hesitant to do fully plot-driven issues here and there, to those that say his work has no heart: either you're not reading the right issues, or our standards are bridged by a gap as far apart as any two sets of tastes I can imagine being in that area.

Plus it'd give him an excuse to play with the Legion, which he loves. He'd definitely use some of the ideas Morrison threw in the toybox as well: he's very much a devotee of G.Mo, and Morrison's been impressed enough in turn to namecheck him in interviews and invite him to Morrisoncon. If absolutely nothing else, he's my second choice behind G.Mo to either take over Supreme once Ellis is done with it (sadly, I hear, at issue #7), or do a creator-owned Superman type series at Image.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 10-23-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Hickman's Superman wouldn't be too different than Greg Paks. I like FF and Manhattan projects. I feel like his Morrison is better than most.

You know what? I can see where people are coming from with the remarks about his work sometimes not having that emotional punch.....to an extent. But then I read FF and F4 and I really wonder what you're all on about. I do think his plot can overshadow his heart at times but then again I love me some plot. I also don't think it's ever to the point where it's glaring or even bad. He always brings it back if you ask me. No it's not as melodious or almost classically poetic as Morrison's (few have that twang to their writing) but it's got this almost well techno operatic poetry to it. Like taking big bombastic and primal emotions and synthesizing them in a studio to make this almost neo poetic stuff that's like 1s and 0s dancing the tango in space.

I swear that's what I feel when Hickman writers Superhero stuff haha. It's got the heart and soul in their I swear but it's filtered through a very smart and ambitious man onto the page. His ideas on Superman would be something to witness indeed.

Also @DOT, I just deleted some stuff and got your part two. Is there more? I'm still on my phone cause my comp is still broken so i doubt I'll be getting back to the stuff sent me mainly cause I'd VERY MUCH like to discus it in the fullness and comfort that an iPhone just won't provide. Also this REALLY puts a damper on the pitch since all my stuff was on that comp. I've memorized most of it and have taken to keeping pages of notes ready to be downloaded to whatever laptop or comp I get, so it's still a go.

Also is that Red Mass of Mars book really that off putting and "cold" for lack of a better word? Haven't read it but Hickman's one of my all time favorites so I probably will.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Also @DOT, I just deleted some stuff and got your part two. Is there more? I'm still on my phone cause my comp is still broken so i doubt I'll be getting back to the stuff sent me mainly cause I'd VERY MUCH like to discus it in the fullness and comfort that an iPhone just won't provide. Also this REALLY puts a damper on the pitch since all my stuff was on that comp. I've memorized most of it and have taken to keeping pages of notes ready to be downloaded to whatever laptop or comp I get, so it's still a go.
    Okay, sorry for the setback man. Just answer and send in what you can, when you can. Still looking forward to the pitch.

Also is that Red Mass of Mars book really that off putting and "cold" for lack of a better word? Haven't read it but Hickman's one of my all time favorites so I probably will.
    It really is. There are bits and pieces of something brilliant in there, but it ends up being pure plot to cover up a thoroughly half-assed philosophical lecture, and barely addresses the idea of Superman at all. It is to Hickman as Nemesis is to Millar, the standard mechanics of his writing dumbed down to the most basic, insular level possible, which is a damn disappointment with a story involving Hickman doing a full on Crisis-level event superhero story spanning thousands of years, I seem to recall more than one universe, and a huge cast of superbeings facing the apocalypse. If you're curious about indie Hickman superhero books, look into Transhuman: it's hilarious, unrelentingly dark, and probably the best thing he's ever written.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

You know what? I can see where people are coming from with the remarks about his work sometimes not having that emotional punch.....to an extent. But then I read FF and F4 and I really wonder what you're all on about. I do think his plot can overshadow his heart at times but then again I love me some plot. I also don't think it's ever to the point where it's glaring or even bad. He always brings it back if you ask me. No it's not as humorously poetic as Morrison's (few have that twang to their writing) but it's got this almost well techno operatic poetry to it. Like taking big bombastic and primal emotions and synthesizing them in a studio to make this almost neo poetic stuff that's like 1s and 0s dancing the tango in space.
    Well, Hickman would surely change the tone and the scope of Superman stories. Which is exactly what Superman titles have needed for years.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

In fairness, he writes really long stories, so I can't say I know all he has to offer or that he can't bring something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Yup. I don't know that this could ever be in the cards--he says he isn't interested in doing any Big Two work for the foreseeable future after his Avengers story wraps
    I heard that, but then they announced this new project. So I'm thinking it depends on how the offer looks, but I don't know if DC is ever in a rush to get a new voice on Superman. Those editorial claws like to dig in deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I heard that, but then they announced this new project.
    Yeah, but that's just the capstone to his Avengers mega-arc, it's still in line with what he's said before. Granted, if DC came to him on hand and knee to steer the Superman ship I can't imagine he'd turn them down, but they're more stable over there than they have been since something like 2008, so I don't see that happening. Though if he changed his mind and came to them, I can't see them turning him down either...but unless a new title was introduced for him, it'd probably be Pak on Action that was replaced rather than Johns on Superman, since the latter's the 'big' writer. Keep that in mind, Superlad: your dreams might come at a price. And I forgot to say before, yeah, that's all the PM's I had to send.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

F4/FF is his most characterful work, but even then most of the second half of it just devolves into and focuses on convoluted plot. It's not consistent.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on people's parades, so I'll bow out of here.

In my dream word Johns has done his run on Superman (and done quite well to boot) and now DC is looking to keep the momentum along with the quality while Pak knocks it out over on Action. Hickman come to them or DC goes to him or there's a chance meeting at a con, whatever. It happens and they give him Superman after his blockbuster run on Avengers. Now you're got Pak and Hickman, and Superman in a new spot from where Johns left him new suite, powers, and all in need of some great writers to follow up.

Hickman essentially gets to do what Morrison did with electric blue Superman in the 90s: take a Superman that's a bit not familiar and make him feel like you've known him your whole life and this is just another day in his epic life. I promise you guys, that's what we'll need after the shake up. I'm a big advocate of smart progression and creativity with in the guidelines of the concept you're working on. I think Hickman with the passion he has for all of this and his respect for the character would be just what the doctor ordered during such a time. I can see the stories now.

Also Pak and Hickman would alternate writing BM/SM just to stretch their creative minds with a less bogged down book. Also thanks for the kind words DOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    F4/FF is his most characterful work, but even then most of the second half of it just devolves into and focuses on convoluted plot. It's not consistent.

Anyway, I don't want to rain on people's parades, so I'll bow out of here.
    Hey man he's not for everyone I totally get that. It's not a knock against you or I. You might not remember but you're the guy that got me into planetary so I already respect your taste a bunch.

Astonishing Member

In my dream word Johns has done his run on Superman (and done quite well to boot) and now DC is looking to keep the momentum along with the quality while Pak knocks it out over on Action.
    I'll never get tired of saying it, but as far as I am concerned Pak's run has been a missed opportunity. Maybe it is not entirely Pak's fault (the Doomed crossover basically ruined it all) and maybe he wasn't allowed to do much with the character, but I remember only three-four issues which I can consider really well-done (especially the Year Zero one-shot). After that, he appeared to be losing momentum.

Generally speaking, I don't think that Superman has been treated so well in the new52. Even Morrison's run was somehow lacking IMHO, or rather not entirely convincing. It was nothing more than decent, even of it appears wonderful in comparison to JMS' Grounded.

And Johns' run is nice, but it is ratehr decompressed and - as it was predictable - made the sidekick (Ulysses) more interesting than the titular hero.

Hickman essentially gets to do what Morrison did with electric blue Superman in the 90s: take a Superman that's a bit not familiar and make him feel like you've known him your whole life and this is just another day in his epic life. I promise you guys, that's what we'll need after the shake up. I'm a big advocate of smart progression and creativity with in the guidelines of the concept you're working on. I think Hickman with the passion he has for all of this and his respect for the character would be just what the doctor ordered during such a time. I can see the stories now.
    Well, Morrison has shown that the blue suit period existed in the New 52 in Action #13, so clearly the precedent for Superman having some 'weird' times in his career is there. I don't know that the new suit and powers are necessarily intended to be temporary though: Geoff Johns on Superman is too big a deal to hinge on a temporary gimmick, I expect the costume might be the return of the old one, and it's been repeatedly hinted throughout the stories since 2011 that Superman will get new powers over time. It's not so much a weird period, I expect, as an attempt to do something new, and Hickman would totally be the guy for that.

It's so odd to consider that as much as Hickman has touched on Superman, he's never actually mentioned the character in any interviews. And Hyperion is very much a riff on the character, rather than an attempt to capture his voice. The closest we've ever seen was here:

Sidenote based on that: The only reason I'm not desperate for him to write Justice League is because I think he's already done his big superhero epic in Avengers. Plus way too many editorial hassles there.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 10-24-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    Buh-bye