Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To absolutely no one's surprise, I agree with Superlad. Hickman could be amazing on Superman. Hell, he's writing one of the best Superman stories I've seen in a while right now with Hyperion in Avengers, and the Sun God from that New Avengers arc was pure, undiluted Superman greatness.

I'd dance down the streets screaming for joy if DC announced he was coming over to the "S" books. Especially if he were replacing Johns or Soule and Pak was staying on.

Granted, hes not a perfect writer and sometimes his plots get in the way of character. But I think Superman is a character where everything would line up really well. Is anyone reading his Avengers? Because to me that feels an awful lot like a Justice League story he never got to tell. Which would explain why the "character" has been pushed back at times; the story originally wasnt for Tony and Steve, it was for Clark and Bruce.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To absolutely no one's surprise, I agree with Superlad. Hickman could be amazing on Superman. Hell, he's writing one of the best Superman stories I've seen in a while right now with Hyperion in Avengers, and the Sun God from that New Avengers arc was pure, undiluted Superman greatness.

I'd dance down the streets screaming for joy if DC announced he was coming over to the "S" books. Especially if he were replacing Johns or Soule and Pak was staying on.

Granted, hes not a perfect writer and sometimes his plots get in the way of character. But I think Superman is a character where everything would line up really well. Is anyone reading his Avengers? Because to me that feels an awful lot like a Justice League story he never got to tell. Which would explain why the "character" has been pushed back at times; the story originally wasnt for Tony and Steve, it was for Clark and Bruce.
    I think it's less a League story, more a Legion story. Apparently there are plot similarities to a famous Legion piece, but more significantly:

Cap : Superboy (Inspiration from out of the past)
    Hyperion : Mon-El (From another world, trapped in a "Phantom Zone" of sorts for awhile until being rescued)
    Smasher : Ultra Boy (Choosing powers)
    Captain Universe : Star Boy/Dream Girl (suit, predictive powers)
    Illuminati : aspects of Brainiac 5 (Black Panther has the heritage, Tony's the link with the main team, Reed's the raw intellect, Namor's the arrogance, Beast's the aspect that wants to do better, Dr. Strange is the arcane knowledge and threat his hubris represents, Black Bolt his ambition to change things such as with the Terragin Bomb)
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I don't think that we will see Hickman on Superman anytime soon, at least not before the end of Secret wars (but it is interesting that both of them often mention one another in their respective interviews, they seem to have a mutual respect for each other). But I think that after the "Band-Aid" event we will see some changes in the Superman family. Supergirl is already getting a relaunch - kind of - with Kate Perkins (even if apparently nobody knows it). We already know that a Superboy/Gen13 book with Frank Barbiere and excellent artist Ben Caldwell is in the works. Johns - I am rather surprised by this - is here to stay. But I am not entirely sure that Pak will still be on AC in April/May.

I don't want to say something trite, but what the Superman family would really need is a new editor. I have nothing against Berganza, but I think that his attention is elsewhere now (maybe he is focused on the big events) and he doesn't appear as interested as he was during the Loeb/Kelly run.
    I think a new and creative editor could do wonders on superman books.

Hickman is a great writer, I think he could do very well with Superman;

Al ewing also has some potential to write superman, his hyperion one shot was great

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Yes. Yes, he should. I've been saying this for ages.

DC should make getting Hickman on Superman a top priority.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I've actually never read any of his work. Is there any current or former Superman writer whom his style would be best compared?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I've actually never read any of his work. Is there any current or former Superman writer whom his style would be best compared?
    To be blunt: he's pretty much the closest thing to Morrison but with a more fine pointed meticulous nature to him. As you may have read from this thread his work comes off cold at times to people. I respectfully disagree based on what I've read. His FF and F4 in particular are quite heartwarming as well as epic.

Matter a fact I'll say it's parts Morrison and Maggin. But at the end of the day it's all his own thing. His voice is quite distinct and when you're reminded of anyone else it's more of a nod than a direct emulation if that makes sense.

Hope this helped, and please check him out.

He writes extremely long form stories. His current Avengers and New Avengers titles began with the very start of Marvel NOW and we're just getting into the real meat of the story; just beginning the third and final Act.

He writes epic, Morrison-style threats and concepts but doesnt have Morrison's psychedelic flair or penchant for "weird". His plots can take over and become more important than the characters at times, but his critics play this up and make it sound like a bigger thing than it is. I cant really think of anyone else right now who writes quite like Hickman.

I highly recommend his Avengers. It reads like what the Avengers were always meant to be; the greatest heroes on earth working together to deal with threats beyond any of them (instead of sitting around playing poker and fighting the Wrecking Crew). This is the Avengers treated like they're the Justice League, and the stuff they've been doing is pretty frikkin amazing. There's a moral conflict at the heart of this story that has turned some people off, because there is no right answer and only a choice between lesser evils, but its been a fascinating exploration of the MU and the two biggest forces in the Avengers (Captain America and Tony Stark). If you really want the whole story (and you really do) you also should read New Avengers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

How well written is Sun God?

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

Fantastic Member

If Hickman writes Superman then Scott Snyder gets Spider-Man.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Well I thought he was written quite well for the short time he was there (2 or 3 issues). He was a Superman stand that was written pretty broadly but with a LOT of respect to the idea. He's the light that guides his team to victory. He was this all around just a great Superman outline that made me want more.

If you want to add something to his credit then how bout the fact that he had Sun God absolutely and decisively take out the Hulk saying something like "you might be the strongest in your universe but not in mine"

Hickman seems to really like and respect the character and idea.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
    No problem man! I'm telling you guys he'd be a real good look for the Superman world no doubt.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-25-2014 at 07:02 PM.

I never actually seen or read Hickman saying anything about Superman. But it seems he could write Superman well.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    We never really get a sense of his background (he and the other heroes of the Great Society showed up pretty much out of nowhere, the only knowledge being that they were all "outcasts", to repel a Skrull/Kree invasion the other heroes of that world, including Wolverine, died fighting), but we know he's an alien, referred to as Zoran, and he seems like Hickman's archetypal "here's Superman being the most awesome guy in the world" character. The speech I posted from him before is an intentional contrast to the one opening almost every other issue of the New Avengers series, beginning with "Everything dies" and going on from there. He's the one that immediately trusts the Illuminati until they give reason to believe otherwise, he takes down the Hulk with little effort, spoilers:
    and when his Earth shatters around him, he chooses to die with his people rather than be saved by the Illuminati
    end of spoilers. He's charismatic, forthright, and the most unambiguously heroic character in Hickman's entire Avengers saga.

As for if you think he's written well, here's a moment, right after the Great Society has just repelled an Incursion (a collision between parallel Earths that will destroy both universes), and exhausted, learn another is already imminent, spoilers:
    an adventure that will be their last
    end of spoilers:

And Cap's also an indication of how well he'd write Superman, such as in this scene, the climax to the idea of Cap being told in so many words throughout the entire run by the super-geniuses that he can't save everyone, that sometimes horrible things must be done and people have to die for the greater good, and that at the end of the day, no matter how much he might want to believe in being the perfect hero, all that shows is that he doesn't grasp the scale of the situation:

"I SAVE THEM."
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 12-16-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Buh-bye

I read what happens to him and his allies...what a shame.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I highly recommend his Avengers. It reads like what the Avengers were always meant to be; the greatest heroes on earth working together to deal with threats beyond any of them (instead of sitting around playing poker and fighting the Wrecking Crew). This is the Avengers treated like they're the Justice League, and the stuff they've been doing is pretty frikkin amazing. There's a moral conflict at the heart of this story that has turned some people off, because there is no right answer and only a choice between lesser evils, but its been a fascinating exploration of the MU and the two biggest forces in the Avengers (Captain America and Tony Stark). If you really want the whole story (and you really do) you also should read New Avengers.
    I don't think I could ever remotely recommend his Avengers run because it has too many problems and he honestly hasn't made good use of the actual characters. Oh sure, he's done things with Captain America and Iron Man, plus his own personal pets he brought into it (except Smasher. She's just been a baby maker honestly, which is rather unfortunate); but the rest? not so much. Plus, he hasn't really proved that they are the greatest heroes since he rares shows them on screen winning (their biggest wins happen off screen) and they often are displayed as being rather weak. Plus, I think he's too concerned with the plot and telling it to the audience, rather then showing it and only makes use of characters unless he really has to.

I think because of his Avengers run, I do not want to see him write Superman. Sure, he has written some expies of Superman fine (though Hyperion remains rather underutilized in the story), but the main guy himself? I dunno. Plus, his writing quirks and the way he handles dialogue, narration, and exposition leaves me feeling that he'll just create a dry and unengaging story despite how epic it may feel. So yeah, I really wouldn't want to see him writing Superman at all.