Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You know what I have read Al Ewing's stuff on some issue of Mighty Avengers and his Hyperion issue of Avengers and both were just fantastic. I need to get back into Mighty and all the issues I've missed cause I really did love his take on them.

As for the dream team?

Hickman on Superman in charge of the whole line's direction. A master mind with ideas and ambition that is all too often keep under warps in modern comics in favor of CW teen drama-like story telling and shallow emulations of movies. He is the sort of honest voice that I think Superman needs now more than ever.

Pak on Action with the guiding light of Hickman's ideas to combat editorial. I've seen what Pak can do and I feel like he'll only get better the more you put him around great writers like Hickman, Ewing, and Soule before them.

Al Ewing on Batman/Superman because I'm not sure if DC is looking to have the Superman/Wonder Woman book go into a direction that doesn't squarely focus on the romantic as the draw. So BM/SM would be more of a free rage to stretch ones creative muscles without so much editorial over your head and direction.

Or maybe a Superman family book would actually be a better fit if one were made. The ability to really have fun with big ideas and big emotions with the whole of the Superman family (and build it in the first place) would be very fun. Maybe all of the writers could take turns telling stories with this book even.
    Pretty much this; I'd switch Hickman and Pak, as Action's traditionally been the main Superman title, and put Jason Aaron on the Superman Family book (he's basically been writing Thor Family on GOT, just with each member also being Thor) with Ewing on Batman/Superman.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If they loosened up in editorial and put Ewing on anything Superman, I'd buy Hickman for the hell of it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Pretty much this; I'd switch Hickman and Pak, as Action's traditionally been the main Superman title, and put Jason Aaron on the Superman Family book (he's basically been writing Thor Family on GOT, just with each member also being Thor) with Ewing on Batman/Superman.
    On second thought this makes even more sense. Action comics should be the head book in the Superman line, DC hasn't really treated it like that since Morrison left and even then it was just the more popular book really. So if Action is made into the head book then yeah Hickman on it all the way and Pak continues to do his awesome thing over at Superman.

Also Aaron would be perfect for a Superman family book. Now that I think about it since Unchained is done the Superman line has a slot open to fill. Why not do something productive and make it a Superman family book, right? The format could be almost whatever you like as we mix and match and focus on different members while adding new ones.

I can pretty much without hesitation say that Aaron would be perfect for introducing, building, and growing such a book in a fresh and smart way. His sense of humor and character would be one of the best parts along with his absolutely spectacular mind for story small or big.

This would be the most perfect line ever put out for Superman. It has everything save Morrison and a few others but that would be greedier than this already is. I still dream though.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    On second thought this makes even more sense. Action comics should be the head book in the Superman line, DC hasn't really treated it like that since Morrison left and even then it was just the more popular book really. So if Action is made into the head book then yeah Hickman on it all the way and Pak continues to do his awesome thing over at Superman.

Also Aaron would be perfect for a Superman family book. Now that I think about it since Unchained is done the Superman line has a slot open to fill. Why not do something productive and make it a Superman family book, right? The format could be almost whatever you like as we mix and match and focus on different members while adding new ones.

I can pretty much without hesitation say that Aaron would be perfect for introducing, building, and growing such a book in a fresh and smart way. His sense of humor and character would be one of the best parts along with his absolutely spectacular mind for story small or big.

This would be the most perfect line ever put out for Superman. It has everything save Morrison and a few others but that would be greedier than this already is. I still dream though.
    Well, I have to imagine that along with the main feature Superman Family would have backup features with rotating creative teams; Morrison could do his Superman Squad story there, finally completing the trifecta of proposed All-Star Superman followups.
    Buh-bye

Well, I have to imagine that along with the main feature Superman Family would have backup features with rotating creative teams; Morrison could do his Superman Squad story there, finally completing the trifecta of proposed All-Star Superman followups.
    That would be amazing.

Why the hell are we not in charge of Superman?

Maybe I should switch the focus of my major and get a job editing the Superman line.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Why the hell are we not in charge of Superman?
    I don't know about the rest of you, but if I ever have my druthers...
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Well, Hickman would surely change the tone and the scope of Superman stories. Which is exactly what Superman titles have needed for years.
    Not that I'm disagreeing but change the tone to what exactly? I never had an chance to read your pitch so I'm interested in the idea here.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

What Superman could really use is a Dan Slott, some one who can make each issue of Superman exciting and fresh, in a way that the current crop of writers just haven't been able to do. If any character should get Hickman, it should be Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaybay View Post
    Not that I'm disagreeing but change the tone to what exactly? I never had an chance to read your pitch so I'm interested in the idea here.
    Well, to be fair, the tone of my pitch is rather different from what I would personally seek in Hickman's stories. It's a complex theme (in the old forum we needed a whole thread to analyze it): let's simply say that one of the greatest problem in Superman stories, editorially speaking, is the lack of clear, definite thematic direction which would make Superman, the cast, the villains, etc, plausible and engaging. Basically, what DC has given us for years is Superman vs the villains in rather harmless, undefined contexts and stories (there are exceptions, of course, but they are never programmatic: Pak had a good chance in the Zero Year issue and the Subterranea story, but later he became engulfed in the Doomed crossover which IMHO irrecoverably damaged the momentum).

It is a matter of taste (I am 100% convinced that a Cyberpunk direction would make Superman work better than ever), but I have come to the conclusion that the right approach to Superman is the "beyond imaginable" one. I don't know if there is a definition for this writing style, but I am referring to the sci-fi approach which seems to be characteristic to many British-born writers, especially Morrison, Ellis and - sometimes - Millar. That is, the "remote" one, the one which makes you think of larger-than-life spaces, other dimensions and characters. All-Star Superman is a perfect example of it, mixed with Silver Age sensibilities.

I know that alternate earths, dimensions, etc. are rather common to superhero comics: but there is a subtle difference between the "mundane" approach of Johns (for example) and the "evocative", atmospheric mood of Ellis, Morrison, etc. That's the one I am looking for. IMHO, Hickman is the American comic writer who, in the latest years, was the most successful in
    implementing this atmosphere in his works (I can't speak for his Avengers stories, which I didn't read, but for example Manhattan Projects and S.H.I.E.L.D. are rather near to what I consider the perfect Superman atmosphere).
    Last edited by Myskin; 10-28-2014 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    What Superman could really use is a Dan Slott, some one who can make each issue of Superman exciting and fresh, in a way that the current crop of writers just haven't been able to do. If any character should get Hickman, it should be Batman.
    I don't know, Slott's a very traditionalistic writer in terms of actual scripting, and Superman's had more than enough of that, though I suppose that's a matter of opinion. More significantly, I don't really see Hickman on Batman--the scope Batman's stories work on isn't what Hickman does, and the sci-fi epic, lyrical storytelling he applies to his usual work wouldn't really fit there. I'd certainly be willing to be surprised if he DID write that, but he's really the member of the Big Seven in the JLA I have the hardest time picturing him doing solo.
    Buh-bye

I don't know, Slott's a very traditionalistic writer in terms of actual scripting, and Superman's had more than enough of that, though I suppose that's a matter of opinion. More significantly, I don't really see Hickman on Batman--the scope Batman's stories work on isn't what Hickman does, and the sci-fi epic, lyrical storytelling he applies to his usual work wouldn't really fit there. I'd certainly be willing to be surprised if he DID write that, but he's really the member of the Big Seven in the JLA I have the hardest time picturing him doing solo.
    I've got to agree with you on all points here. Maybe Hickman could write an incredible Batman, but I'd bet that his talents would be wasted there. Im sure he'd write Batman really well in the pages of Justice League, but Batman's tone and stories do not support Hickman's strongest skills as a writer. Honestly, if we're going for big name, non-DC creators I'd rather see Brian Azzarello on Batman.

As for Slott, I really loved his Superior Spider-Man and I have no problem with the guy, but I dont know if he has the kind of imagination to pull off Superman. Maybe he does, and I'd love to read a pitch from him, but so far he hasnt really indicated it. The thing is, DoT's right in that Superman needs some big, crazy concepts to work with. When you tone Superman down and take out those fantastical elements, like the 5th dimension and cosmic entities like the Oracle, you end up with a really boring, over powered, generic superhero who could be anyone, and entertains (almost) no one. Superman's two highest selling points were when he either A) embraced a socio/political stance and took on topical issues like political corruption and domestic abuse, or B) embraced the truly far-out concepts and did stuff like talk to sentient galaxies and travel through time and space.

The first is the Golden Age, and hard to put into a modern day context. But the success of Morrison's early Action run shows that this approach will still work. And the second approach still works perfectly well today, as a number of comics will indicate. Superman needs to be the character doing what no one else is, going further, faster, higher, than his peers. When he's doing that, he sells well. When he's not? Generic Action Man does not impress anyone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    maybe slott could use his creativity for superman. I'm liking what he is doing on spider-verse.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The thing I really like about Slott is that he makes each individual issue entertaining, which has not always been the case for Superman in the New 52. He's also very good (most of the time) about seeding big plot details way in advance and slowly evolving a grand story.That's what Superman really needs. Someone who can make each issue worth the price of admission while at the same time give us a grand, 30 part epic.

My idea for Hickman's Batman would be more Batman Inc. than just Batman. Something globetrotting, big conspiracies, large cast. Toss in a little sci-fi and you'd be golden. Batman has had a strong foundation of being the Caped Crusader of Gotham. He could definitely stand to spread his wings and do other things for a time.

I'd love to see Hickman write something about Superman someday.

Just another thing, as I've been going through Hickman's stuff recently. One thing that always made me think twice a bit about him writing Superman is that, with the exception of Fantastic Four, his work is bleak as all hell, basically without exception. I don't think he's done a single creator-owned work that wasn't completely, pitch-black cynical about human nature and our fate in this world. In that regard, it's pretty much down to FF to suggest whether or not he could do the optimism that Superman demands. Then, looking over the last issue, I saw a piece from him I'd forgotten all about, part of his epilogue essay on the series:

One final thought before we say goodnight.

I was giving an interview about the book somewhere after we'd gone from critical darling to critical success and I was asked, "What did we do to make Fantastic Four relevant again?" I remember consciously lying and giving a generic answer about effort and storytelling meeting hard work and dedication or some other garbage because I had promised myself that never during the run would I talk about, or reveal, any of my 'rules' for the book (and I still won't), but I do now want to at least answer the question honestly. So here goes...

The world sucks. I'm not saying this as an anachronist or idealist, but one of the reasons for this condition is the expectation of family as a thing of permanence is dying. Which is actually what makes the Fantastic Four so interesting, they exist in opposition to that -- they are a perfect family in an imperfect world...and they represent the hope of what COULD BE*. The franchise became relevant again because we tapped into this in a way that resonated, and, even more importantly, the driving force behind it was something we could all understand. Wasn't it?

After all, what was it that made Reed choose his family when he should have chosen utopia? What made Johnny sacrifice himself and what brought him back? What broke an unbreakable Ben Grimm and then found a way to make him whole again? What made Susan strong enough to stand when the others fell? What made Nathaniel always come home, and what was it that made Val and Franklin sacrifice everything to save their father?

It was Love. Boundless, unconditional, to the end of time and back, lift you up from death itself, LOVE.

And what's not fantastic about that?

He could write Superman.

*This is not a guy who would bullshit around with finding ways to screw with Superman thinking that was the only way to get people to understand him.
    Buh-bye