Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think they are one person, but what matters to me is, he has to pretend to be human. His every physical sense is receiving information from the world, solar system, the galaxy, other dimensions? Whover the Kents raised him to be, they couldn't possible prepare him for understanding the cosmos the way he does. He is superhuman but he pretends to be normal.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yes, in any case, those physical aspects and how they inform Clark's personality are fabricated.

When he received his powers depends on version. I think Post-Crisis is the only one where he wasn't a super kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yes, in any case, those physical aspects and how they inform Clark's personality are fabricated.

When he received his powers depends on version. I think Post-Crisis is the only one where he wasn't a super kid.
    I don't understand what you mean by fabricated? Exagerrated, I don't think so, if anything they are dismissed more often than not.

Fantastic Member

One man. I've never been too big on the "Clark Kent is a bumbling disguise" sort of thing. (Despite having a soft spot for the 1978 movie, which totally takes that approach. I suppose some of the Golden Age material takes it as well, but by and large he and Lois are a team of competent, socially-minded journalists there, which offsets some of it.)

Obviously he steps into each persona slightly differently, but I like his stories best when, at his core, he's the same type of try-to-do-right-at-all-costs person in either role, whether as a journalist or superhero. Or whatever sort of role he plays in Smallville.

I basically see Clark Kent (or prefer to see him portrayed this way) less as an acting role for Superman, and more as the person Clark would have grown up to be in any circumstance, had he not had superpowers.
    Last edited by Cipher; 10-28-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by fabricated? Exagerrated, I don't think so, if anything they are dismissed more often than not.
    None of the rules that dictate Clark's life actually exist.

Well sure, but I don't see why the physical aspects are any more imaginary than the mental or emotional ones.

N7 Krypton Elite N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar

I've always seen him as 3 different ppl

1. Kal-El/Superman, the hero in the spotlight

2. Clark Kent, the reporter who no one noticed

3. Kal/Clark, his true self with friends and family and those he trusts.

They are all the same person, but he's essentially an actor playing roles, only those roles literally are a part of who he is just depending on which role he's playing he focuses on a certain attribute (Supes, heroic, Clark, average joe).

Quote Originally Posted by N7 Joseph Shepard View Post
    I've always seen him as 3 different ppl

1. Kal-El/Superman, the hero in the spotlight

2. Clark Kent, the reporter who no one noticed

3. Kal/Clark, his true self with friends and family and those he trusts.

They are all the same person, but he's essentially an actor playing roles, only those roles literally are a part of who he is just depending on which role he's playing he focuses on a certain attribute (Supes, heroic, Clark, average joe).
    This is the way I look at it as well. The Superman that most people know is as much of a fabrication as Clark Kent is - the real man is somewhere in-between.

YES he was raised on a farm - YES he has incredible intelligence and supernatural senses - NO he does not live his life on the god-damn empty and devoid of life NORTH-POLE!

NO he's not on the job 24/7! NO, he's not a bumbling fool!

The real man, Kal-El Clark Kent, is a man that very few people actually know. I'd vaguer, depending on the continuity, not even Lois Lane does. Batman, is oddly enough, probably one of the only people that actually know the real man, behind all of these masks - because they both play the same game.

Well, him, and the core 5 of the Legion of Superheroes.

Everybody else meets a facade, put up depending on the situation.

It might seem like an impossible dicotomy - that a guy who can see atoms, also really, really likes his momma's bread made of a 50/50 mix of Kansas Wheat and corn, but that just happens to be what he's like.