Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I feel for you Rev, I had to take my car to the mechanic this week too, I was prepared to spend a lot in repairs and was surprised with a low bill for a change.

Interesting fact about Betty Dean getting married and Everett using that last name he gave the nurse.

I really liked this issue, it was an interesting story and a clever way from Namor to infiltrate the hospital to investigate, plus all his usual personality and funny quips coming into play in the story. I really enjoy the personality Everett developed for Namor, I'm sure if Everett was alive and writing Namor stories today he would be one of Marvel's most popular characters.

The second story is also as good but really creepy, I will try to have that one ready for today or early morning tomorrow.
    A less than expensive bill from the mechanic is to be celebrated! I'd dump this problem on a mechanic in a heartbeat, but unfortunately, can't get the truck started to take it to the mechanic. LOL! Messed with a bit more today, and did some more internet hunting. Have one more thing to try, and then I may have to have it towed. Ugh.

Anyway ... to a more pleasant subject. The name Prentiss. I was confused, but now remember, it was Roy Thomas who re-introduced Betty Dean to the Silver Age in Sub-Mariner #8, and added the name Prentiss as her married name. Everett then created Namorita, and made Betty her guardian, and gave Namorita Betty's married name as her own air breather surname.

Roy could have remembered this story and the nurse's name, and given it to Betty in his story. Or it could all be a big co-incidence.

Yes, Everett's Namor was a lot of fun. Sadly, as we can tell from this art, I think Bill had some help on this story, and soon, he'll be leaving entirely, to go off to WWII.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Mmmm Wonder if Dr Grayson was Robin's uncle? LOL

I was surprised to see the pool of blood...don't remember seeing that yet in these old comics. Love the sassy ladies Namor meets, even got a kiss this time

Namor seems so light and fun; it really clashes with that story we saw a few pages ago.... glad to get back to some normal GA Namor again!!!!

Awesome job again Thor-Ey!
    LOL! Some meta-commentary, even then?

Yes, the Human Torch 5b story tends to be an aberation by this time.

We were talking a bit about the violence on the 365 thread. It was pre-code, during the War, so yes, there's more violence than our modern sensibilities expect in these 'kid comics.'
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

After a criminal Sub-Mariner caught is put to death, his brain is bougth by an excentric scientist and reanimated in a giant artificial corpse that seems to acquire the personality of the criminal and his evil tendencies. Its up to Sub-Mariner to stop this new menace.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Sub-Mariner Vol. 1 (Sub-Mariner Comics #1–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...ge+Sub-mariner
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Thank you again Thor-Ey for taking time to post these awesome stories!

No comics code is right! Scary stuff in this issue...I think if I read about this monster as a kid back in the days I would have nightmares LOL

Glad Namor pushed that joker under the water....never want to see him again.

Do these old books have several stories in them? Just wondering if one of the stories has to do with the cover; or were the covers just a form of advertising and supporting the war effort?
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Mighty Member

No comics code is right! Scary stuff in this issue...I think if I read about this monster as a kid back in the days I would have nightmares LOL

Do these old books have several stories in them? Just wondering if one of the stories has to do with the cover; or were the covers just a form of advertising and supporting the war effort?
    I've been posting scans of each story that comes in the comic. MMC has only one Sub-Mariner story as well as All Winners but Sub-Mariner quarterly has two stories most of the times or one big story as was with the one of the druids. I'd say you are right describing the covers as just advertisement for the war effort although I've seen some covers were the inspiration came from panels from a previous story as was with a couple with Namor and the Human Torch.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

I echo Mantis Girl's gratitude, Thor-El! Another excellent post to feed our cravings. THANK YOU!

Some of the Marvel Mystery Comics come with one or two page prose stories inspired by the cover. Stan Lee wrote a couple of them. I thought I had posted them ... will have to double check.

This was a curious blend of genres story. Like later, Namor was in a lot of detective type stories, this one seems to be a horror story. And yes, that is one creepy creature!

I've been posting scans of each story that comes in the comic. MMC has only one Sub-Mariner story as well as All Winners but Sub-Mariner quarterly has two stories most of the times or one big story as was with the one of the druids. I'd say you are right describing the covers as just advertisement for the war effort although I've seen some covers were the inspiration came from panels from a previous story as was with a couple with Namor and the Human Torch.
    Yep. Only in Namor's 'own' book, does it have two Namor stories regularly ... though, I think one the Human Torch books might have had two short (10 pages) stories. For the most part these are anthology books, though, again there's the exception with the Human Torch and Namor battle in 5b, and another upcoming one, that took up the whole 64 pages. But they are the exceptions.

Another long day, but at least I got the truck running!!! FYI, dead and dying batteries can trigger the car alarm, which shuts your starter down. New battery got the horn and blinkers going, but the alarm was stuck. Finally got the alarm off, and voila! Truck started!!! So happy it wasn't the starter, cause that looked like a real pain in the rear to get to.

But now I read all these panels, and it was cool seeing Namor in a hotel room! But I have to question his plan to head butt the creature! And from a great height.

Also Namor volunteering to 'help' the creature and telling him water is cheap! LOL!

I'll try to get the next Human Torch story up this evening. It's only 20 pages. O_O

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Another long day, but at least I got the truck running!!! FYI, dead and dying batteries can trigger the car alarm, which shuts your starter down. New battery got the horn and blinkers going, but the alarm was stuck. Finally got the alarm off, and voila! Truck started!!! So happy it wasn't the starter, cause that looked like a real pain in the rear to get to.
    Great news, hope you get it fixed soon.

But now I read all these panels, and it was cool seeing Namor in a hotel room! But I have to question his plan to head butt the creature! And from a great height.
    Let's say Namor has a lot of confidence in his strength.

I'll try to get the next Human Torch story up this evening. It's only 20 pages. O_O
    I'll post the next ALL Winners, then MMC and its off to the Silver Age until Marvel prints more MMC on Masterworks as we are following the Marvel Mystery Comics for continuity and Marvel's last reprint is #28, the next one in my list. There is a couple of important stories I found in Sub-Mariner quarterly that I think are important to discuss before we jump to the Silver Age so I may go to those ones first.

Great news, hope you get it fixed soon.
    Me too. I've been driving it around, and everything seems fine, but the idle has too high RPMs. I'm hoping it is just a case of bad / old gas. <fingers crossed>

Let's say Namor has a lot of confidence in his strength.
    LOL! So, Namor knows he is hard headed? ;p

I'll post the next ALL Winners, then MMC and its off to the Silver Age until Marvel prints more MMC on Masterworks as we are following the Marvel Mystery Comics for continuity and Marvel's last reprint is #28, the next one in my list. There is a couple of important stories I found in Sub-Mariner quarterly that I think are important to discuss before we jump to the Silver Age so I may go to those ones first.
    This sounds like a plan! I'm getting antsy for the Silver Age stuff and was thinking about posting them simultaneous ... but this will work better. Will post the Human Torch story tonite.

I'll post the next ALL Winners, then MMC and its off to the Silver Age until Marvel prints more MMC on Masterworks as we are following the Marvel Mystery Comics for continuity and Marvel's last reprint is #28,
    ......'Lo and behold came a 4th horse; it was pale and the one who sat upon him was Death and all hell followed with him and no GA comics were found in his satchel or dangling from his bloodied scythe.

I can't breath! My skin looks years older....I feel my joints stiffen....What will I do? Where will I go?

Breath.................breath...............breath .............

Control myself.....no more GA Namor???? No more silly nicknames, and ugly villains and Nazi's to conquer????????

"...and when Mantis Girl reaches the end of the Gold Age readathon she will weep... for alas, she has no more GA Comics to devour"
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Mighty Member

......'Lo and behold came a 4th horse; it was pale and the one who sat upon him was Death and all hell followed with him and no GA comics were found in his satchel or dangling from his bloodied scythe.

I can't breath! My skin looks years older....I feel my joints stiffen....What will I do? Where will I go?

Breath.................breath...............breath .............

Control myself.....no more GA Namor???? No more silly nicknames, and ugly villains and Nazi's to conquer????????

"...and when Mantis Girl reaches the end of the Gold Age readathon she will weep... for alas, she has no more GA Comics to devour"
    Don't worry little one, be stoic, be brave cause at the end of the tunnel there is a silver light, where the land of continuity awaits. Where Uncle Stan sits on his throne with his tales of wonder, of a prince of Atlantis who is a true hero, never lifting an arm to harm but always to protect.

I'll try.....but I make no promises....

Proud and bold posters of the readathon ! Do not forget the Atlas Era !

I think that Namor appears in :

And this volume can't be forgetten !

Technically it's still the Golden Age..; for a few months ! And even if it's the code era, I'm pretty sure that a lot of silly nickname are used in those issues - where Everett's art is gorgeous !!!!

I'll try.....but I make no promises....
    Mantis Girl, you're the lucky and proud owner of a real GA Sub-Mariner comic book !

I know that you don't have any scanner, but perhaps you could take a few photos of the mysterious content of...

I would like so much to see what Marvel used to publish during the post-war years of the 1940's... I'm not even sure that they will continue the publication of the GA MMW enough to reach that era...