Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I don't have that capability either (long story, mom involved)... but I can share with you all some of the issue!

When you open the page on the inside cover is an ad for "Mr. Walker"... it shows kids pictures looking on in amazement as Mr. Walker goes down some stairs. ....... It is a Slinky! LOL

It also says that SM Comics is published quarterly and says this one is printed for Summer 1947!

On the 1st page, splash page it shows Namor swinging down a rope of a sail boat with a beautiful Raven haired lady in his arms (even though there is a blond on the cover) and it also shows the Sharks ugly face in the bottom right hand corner.

on page 2 Namor witnesses on a "dark mid summer night" a damsel getting hit over the head near some docks and dragged into a boat by two bad guys. They are taking her to "the boss" and on page 3 they stop at another dock and take her up on the planks a leave her there to go wait for the boss. Namor sneaks out of the water and trys to wake her up; "Come on wake up!"
    When that don't work he says; "maybe a dip in some nice cold salt water"!
    As he splashes in the water with her she starts to wake....Namor says; "Come with me, Pet! We'll take a trip over to my launch... you can dry off there, and then cry on papa's shoulder... I need to know what this is all about"!
    Namor gets her on a boat on page 4 and lays her down and calls Betty. Betty arrives and the damsel is sleeping but Betty says; "Thats Sheila Barrow, daughter of deep-sea Dan; the salvage operator".
    Namor decides to jump over board and go look at the salvage site that Sheila's dad is at. The two other mean show up (they must of seen Namor swim away with her). They climb on board and grab Betty and lock her in a closet. They leave with Sheila. Betty on page 5 breaks down the door and follows them in the boat. Once they stop, Betty slips on a skirt bikini and a rubber skull cap and swims over to their boat and climbs up the chain. Betty thinks; "This is almost too easy! But from here on out??? Oh well, someone's got to do the dirty work, and Namor isn't here".
    Meanwhile Namor finds the "Don Juan", The salvage ship. Over the next 2 pages he dives under and see's divers hand pulling out giant bricks of gold, then a bomb goes off and destroys the salvage ship!! Namor does say; "Gallopin Garfish"!! He swims after the ship that blew up the "Don Juan".

On page 8 Namor spies outside the portal and hears the Shark talking and he peers in. (the Shark by the way talks like a gangster from Brooklyn and is the ugliest villain ever seen) LOL

Namor says to himself after seeing him; "Hammerhead Shark"!

The Don Juan is sinking and he swims towards it to see if he can save anyone. Betty meantime also finds the Shark.
    Shark is telling his two henchmen to tie Sheila to the floor and bring some Red Hot irons! "She is gonna sign some papers or else"!

Betty barges in and pulls a gun (out of her bikini?) on the shark. Instantly the hoods knock her out on the head. The Shark says; "Tough luck, Goily"!

Namor arrives back at the Sharks boat on page 9 and he is jumped immediately and thrown in chains from head to toe and thrown overboard. Namor easily breaks the chains and thinks; "Fools"!

Namor then turns around and 2 bad guys are in diving suits with torch trying to kill him. He rips off their air hoses and leaves them to die. He leaps out of the water and on to the deck of Sharks boat and knocks out 3 deck hands with one blow. He grabs Shark by the neck who he then calls; "Shark Puss". The Shark is choking to death Still - and tells Namor what he wants to know. They are all picked up by the coast guard.

On the final page (12) Namor says; "if Betty hadn't let those mugs get Sheila away from her, perhaps Dan's ship would still be afloat. Betty, why on earth can't you stay out of trouble"?

Betty puts her hand to her head and replies; "WHY YOU...."!
    The End

There is another story with Namor and Namora in it that is 10 pages long. Then a printed story by ?? called Marked Money. Then there is a 7 page story about Human Torch and Toro. On the last 2 inside pages there is an ad for a "Rapid fire tommy gun" and on the inside back page there is 2 ads...one for a Ballpoint Pen!!! And one of a thermometer that looks like a bird called; "The lucky weather bird forecaster". The back cover is an ad for "The Monark Super Deluxe" bicycle.

That was fun!!!! Sadly it's the only one I have....hope you enjoyed!
    Last edited by Mantis Girl 94; 03-16-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Sorry for the delay, guys. Family drama. : (

Here's the Namor story from Human Torch 6. It came out in the Winter of 1941, but before Pearl Harbor. Prophetically, Namor's story is set in Hawaii ...

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Back at the sugar plantation, Namor confronts Coswell, who calls him, "Nosey, eh, Fish-Face?" : (

He then presses a button on his desk, which drops a net from the ceiling onto Namor!!

Yes, those oddly colored minions are supposed to Polynesian.

Namor is thrown into the basement of the curio shop, his hands and feet bound in steel cables. He figures out he can make the wooden shutter over the window open and close a bit, by blocking the draft to the door. Then he finds a piece of stone, and sets the straw on the floor on fire! He then uses Morse code to signal SOS! Fortunately two sailors see the flashing light and get help. Unfortunately, the Hawaiians see the smoke and grab Namor to take him for a "ride -- Hawaiian style!"

The Navy jeep follows, and the Hawaiians decide to ditch the car over a cliff, with Namor in the trunk! He gets tossed out of the car, and his 'leg wings" keep him flying instead of smashing into the ground. For some reason, he couldn't use them in the prison to fly up to the window and bump the shutter, though.

I know, don't ask questions, just accept the Golden Age crazy.

Namor uses the burning car, which has heated a door handle, to melt his steel shackles, then leaps into the water, to swim back to the sugar refinery. Near the place, he discovers an underwater tunnel ...

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Back at the refinery, Namor finds everyone fighting for some reason. Never one to pass up some fisticuffs, Namor joins the brawl, until he sights Coswell. He threatens to dash his brains out, and Coswell reveals that they are "Fifth Columnists -- assigned to blow up the Pacific Fleet!" And they've minded a mile of water already! He reveals there is a map in his office.

Namor tosses Coswell away, and flies up to his office and finds the map. Coswell shows up with a tommy gun! Unfortunately for him, the gun jams after a few shots, and Namor has a desk to throw at him.

Namor's eureka idea is to set the yacht on fire to attract their attention to his signal flags. The fleet stops, and Namor swims over to the flagship and explains about the floating sugar cane stalks.

ADMIRAL Namor! Pretty good promotion for a guy who FLOODED THE WORLD last issue, eh? ; p

"Gallopin Garfish" ! 1947 seems to be a great year for Namor's slang, Mantis Girl. The "Don Juan" salvage ship is also an highlight of course ! Thanks to share with us this story : it was a really a nice reading !

All my thanks of course to you also, Rev for this Hawaian issue and his surprising conclusion. Admiral Namor...

What a work done in those 26 pages... Thor-El, you've started something really impressive ! I hope that all your projects are working just fine ! I really liked the last issues you've scanned - especially the Namor Horror Picture Show. Crazy imagination in the good old days...
    Last edited by Abe; 03-17-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Mighty Member

Wow, double treat for me today! Thank you Mantis Girl for sharing that Namor issue and thank you Rev for the Human Torch issue. I really like the artwork in this story Rev. Like MG I've been really loving these Golden Age stories, wonder if the Silver Age will be that appealing.

Thank you Abe for the compliments. I know the Atlas era has some amazing artwork by Bill Everett. I said that we are about to jump to the Silver Age but sometimes I wish we could continue covering the Golden Age until its completion. From the Silver Age I'm interested in Tales to Astonish and Namor's regular series and the first years of The Defenders but once that's done perhaps we can jump back to the Golden Age.

I apologize people, I haven't been able to work on more stories for awhile, swamped with other things but I will try and have something new posted before the end of the week.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Thank you Thor-Ey and Abe! I wish I could share the book with you...

TY Rev for that great story...Admiral Namor indeed!!!!!
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Thank you Thor-Ey and Abe! I wish I could share the book with you...

TY Rev for that great story...Admiral Namor indeed!!!!!
    I know! I imagine he insisted on being called Admiral Namor for a week or two at least.

Another long day. I guess I'll have to catch up with posts tomorrow.

Will also see if I can dig out my FF omnibus.

Mighty Member

Continuous sinkings of U.S vessels by axis submarines prompt the Navy to ask Sub-Mariner for assistance in finding out what is going on in the seas that is tilting victory towards the Nazis.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age All-Winners Comics Vol. 1 (All-Winners Comics #1–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...ks+All+Winners
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Have to head out to a family thing...I will fo sho read this later!

Thank you for the All Winners story, Thor-El! Been away for a few days.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thank you for the All Winners story, Thor-El! Been away for a few days.
    Yes, I've noticed the thread activity has waned quite a bit so I'm taking a vacation as well. I'm sure things will pick up steam again, specially once the next issues of Squadron Supreme which seem to star Namor per Robinson's Twitter start coming up.

Since everyone is taking a brief hiatus I'm going to do my best to fill in. First up is a quick Namor history lesson. Ever wonder why the Avenging Son switched from swim trunks to a more traditional superhero costume? Well, keep reading.

Back in the 1970's Atlantis would get attacked or invaded just about every month. Two of Namor's more powerful foes, Orka the Killer Whale and Virago the She-Beast, team up and launch an assault. In addition to each being stronger than him, .Orka has brought an army of telepathically controlled killer whales.

Surrounded, Namor attempts one of his more dangerous maneuvers.

The escape is successful but leaves him rocketing out of control on a collision course with a recently sunken navy vessel filled with weapons of mass destruction.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

The explosion was strong enough to blast Namor out of the water and on to the surface where he laid dying, as the toxic cloud he inadvertently released was also raining on Atlantis. Fortunately, his comrade Triton, had been in the vicinity assisting the Navy secure their sunken ship. He takes Namor to the only person he knows who may be able to save his friend's life but not before warning the Navy personnel he holds them responsible.

The Sub-Mariner regains consciousness unaware what has transpired and sees the faces of his enemies, the Fantastic Four. He is not happy.

The nerve gas altered Namor's cellular structure so that his skin can no longer retain moisture out of water but Reed constructs a filtering and recycling system that is thin enough to wear and will give the Avenging Son the ability to survive out of the sea.

Although angry with surface dwellers in general, Namor gave his thanks to Reed Richards for saving his life and marked the beginning of a long lasting friendship between the Sub-Mariner and the Fantastic Four.

So, there you have it, the origin of Namor's costume. Does he still need it? What happened to Atlantis? What about Orka and Virago? Those are stories for another day.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Mighty Member

Excellent post. Thank you, JP. I'm glad someone is keeping the thread going. I've been swamped these past weeks but I intend to eventually finish the golden age with one last MMC and a couple of Sub-Mariner issues that delve into his origin and Atlantis.